|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
2. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
3. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
4. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
5. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
2. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
3. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
4. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
5. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
6. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
7. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
8. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
9. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 3
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)