|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
2. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
3. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
4. What is a skiff?
5. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
2. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
3. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
4. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
5. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
6. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
7. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
8. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
9. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
10. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)