|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
4. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
5. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
2. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
3. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
4. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
5. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
6. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
7. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
8. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
9. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
10. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 3
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)