|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
2. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
3. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
4. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
5. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
3. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
4. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
5. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
6. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
7. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
8. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
9. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
10. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is a sugar maple? What does the Sargent family do with their sugar maple trees that brightens everyone's spirit in the aftermath of the winter? What other activities does the family begin to renew after the long winter? Why does Ira take Marguerite with him to visit Abby Welles? What does Abby give to Marguerite that makes her very happy? What does Marguerite later do with this item? Why does Marguerite sacrifice something that meant so much to her? What does this say about Marguerite's character?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)