|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
2. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
3. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
4. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
5. In what year does the novel begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
2. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
3. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
4. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
5. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
6. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
7. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
10. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)