|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
2. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
3. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
4. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
5. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
2. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
7. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
8. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
9. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
10. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)