|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
2. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
3. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
4. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
5. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
2. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
3. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
4. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
5. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
6. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
7. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
8. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
9. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
10. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
This section contains 2,405 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)