|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
2. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
3. What is a bound-out girl?
4. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
5. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
2. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
3. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
4. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
5. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
6. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
7. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
8. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
9. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
10. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)