|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
2. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
3. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
4. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
5. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
2. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
3. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
4. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
5. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
6. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
7. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
8. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
9. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
10. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)