|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
2. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
3. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
4. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
5. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
2. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
3. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
4. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
5. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
6. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
7. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
8. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
9. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
10. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Aunt Hespa? How does Marguerite come to meet her? What is their relationship like from the first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have that Marguerite admires? What does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite on their first meeting? What does Aunt Hespa have to teach Marguerite? How many times does Marguerite visit Aunt Hespa to help with chores and projects? What quilt pattern does Aunt Hespa show Marguerite? What gift does Aunt Hespa make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)