|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
2. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
3. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
4. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
5. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
2. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
3. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
4. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
5. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
6. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
7. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
8. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
9. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
10. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Joel Sargent? Why has he sold everything he owns for a farm on the coast of Maine? What does Joel hope he can do with a farm? Does he? What does Joel find when he arrives at the farm? Why does Joel not allow his neighbors to talk him out of living somewhere else, such as one of the empty islands in the channel? Why does Joel insist on working his own farm that he paid for? What does this say about his character? How does Joel treat his children? How does he treat Marguerite? Why does Joel offer to send Marguerite away at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)