|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
2. In Part 2, rumors of what delayed the sailing of the Isabella B in one of two incidences?
3. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
4. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
5. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
2. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
3. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
4. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
5. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
6. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
7. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
8. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
9. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
10. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)