|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
2. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
3. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
4. What sport does Caleb indulge in that has resulted in great amounts of meat to be dried for winter use?
5. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
4. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
5. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
6. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
7. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
8. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
9. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
10. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)