|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Seth Jordan?
2. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
3. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
4. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
5. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
2. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
3. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
4. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
5. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
6. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
7. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
8. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
9. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
10. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents stop in Falmouth after the storm? What do the children do when they leave the ship? What do they find? Who tells them about Indians? Why do these stories entertain the children but frighten the adults? What does Dolly Sargent think of these stories? How do these stories foreshadow trouble for the Sargent family? What do these stories say about the time period in which the novel is set? Do these stories follow what the reader should know about the history of this time period and this area of Maine? Explain.
This section contains 2,409 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)