|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
2. How many children do the Sargents have?
3. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
4. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
5. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
2. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
3. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
4. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
5. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
6. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
7. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
8. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
9. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
10. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)