Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
5. Who are the Morses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)