Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
5. Who are the Morses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
Essay Topic 1
Why do the Sargents stop in Falmouth after the storm? What do the children do when they leave the ship? What do they find? Who tells them about Indians? Why do these stories entertain the children but frighten the adults? What does Dolly Sargent think of these stories? How do these stories foreshadow trouble for the Sargent family? What do these stories say about the time period in which the novel is set? Do these stories follow what the reader should know about the history of this time period and this area of Maine? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)