|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
5. Who are the Morses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
2) Frontier life
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
This section contains 2,409 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)