|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
3. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
4. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
5. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
2. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
3. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
4. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
5. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
6. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
7. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
10. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
Essay Topic 2
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)