Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
5. Who are the Morses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
Essay Topic 3
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)