|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
2. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
3. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
4. How many children do the Sargents have?
5. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
2. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
3. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
4. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
5. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
6. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
7. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
8. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
9. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
10. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)