|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
2. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
3. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
4. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
5. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
2. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
3. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
4. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
5. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
6. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
7. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
8. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
9. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
10. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ira Sargent? Why has he come to help settle his brother's new farm? What does Ira hope to get out of the work on the farm? Who catches Ira's eye from nearly the beginning? Who else was courting this girl? When does Ira learn that this girl has chosen him? Why does Ira not marry her immediately? What does Ira want to do before he can marry? Why does Ira leave on a ship for a time int he middle of summer? How does this impact the work on the farm?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Joel Sargent give Marguerite the opportunity to go to French Canada? Where will Marguerite go once she arrives there? Does she decide to go? Why or why not? How do the other members of the family feel about Marguerite's opportunity? Her choice? How does Caleb reveal his feelings to Marguerite? What does the ending of the novel imply about Marguerite's future with the Sargent family? Is this an optimistic ending?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)