Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
5. Who are the Morses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
What is unusual about the winter weather the first winter the Sargents are on their farm? What does winter weather prevent? What change in sleeping habits does the cold weather force the family to make? How does Debby get burned? How does this impact the family? What does Marguerite do to try to save her? Does it work? How does Marguerite feel about Debby's injuries and subsequent death? How does Dolly react? What does this reaction say about Marguerite? About Dolly?
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)