|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
4. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
5. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
2. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
3. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
4. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
5. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
6. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
7. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
8. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
9. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
10. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Sargents throw a party when they are ready to raise the roof of the house? What is special about this occasion? How many of the party goers are expected to help with the work? Why does Dolly not help Marguerite find something a little more appropriate to wear? Why is Marguerite put in charge of the children, including some of the neighbor's children? What animal does Marguerite see trying to eat the cold butter? What does she do about it? What does this say about her? Why do the neighbors think a child's spilled blood in the doorway of the new home is bad luck? Is it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)