|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
2. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
3. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
4. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
5. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
2. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
3. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
4. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
5. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
6. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
7. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
10. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Marguerite saddened that the Sargents do not celebrate Christmas? Why don't they celebrate Christmas? How does Marguerite have her own private celebration? What does she do? Where does she do it? What does she think about as she celebrates? What gifts does she want to give to the children? Who does she run into during her private celebration? What does this person tell her? How does Marguerite feel about meeting this person? What does she give him? Why does she not tell anyone about this encounter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)