|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
2. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
3. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
4. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
5. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
2. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
3. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
4. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
5. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
6. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
7. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
8. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
9. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
10. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Ethan Jordan? Who has he been courting since before the arrival of the Sargents? How does the arrival of the Jordans change Ethan's romantic intentions? How does Ethan react to this change? What does this say about Ethan? About the time period in which the novel is set? Who is Seth Jordan? What warning does he give the Sargents upon their initial arrival in the channel? What does Seth think of their refusal to listen to his advice? What does Seth do to help or hinder the Sargents? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
What is unusual about the winter weather the first winter the Sargents are on their farm? What does winter weather prevent? What change in sleeping habits does the cold weather force the family to make? How does Debby get burned? How does this impact the family? What does Marguerite do to try to save her? Does it work? How does Marguerite feel about Debby's injuries and subsequent death? How does Dolly react? What does this reaction say about Marguerite? About Dolly?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)