|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
4. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
5. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
2. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
3. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
4. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
5. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
6. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
7. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
8. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
9. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
10. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)