|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
2. What is a skiff?
3. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
4. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
5. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
4. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
5. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
6. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
7. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
8. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
9. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
10. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is unusual about the winter weather the first winter the Sargents are on their farm? What does winter weather prevent? What change in sleeping habits does the cold weather force the family to make? How does Debby get burned? How does this impact the family? What does Marguerite do to try to save her? Does it work? How does Marguerite feel about Debby's injuries and subsequent death? How does Dolly react? What does this reaction say about Marguerite? About Dolly?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail as it appears in and impacts the plot of the novel, citing examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)