|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
2. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
3. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
2. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
3. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
4. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
5. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
6. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
7. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
8. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
9. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 2
What is a corn shelling party? Why do the Jordans throw one? What do these parties centered around work say about the time period? What type of dance does Marguerite do after the shelling is done? Why do some of the neighbors find it shocking? Why does Aunt Hespa express the opinion that it was a nice dance? What does this dance say about the differences between Marguerite and the people to whom she is bound?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
This section contains 2,359 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)