|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of the novel?
2. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
3. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
4. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
5. Who is Champlain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
2. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
3. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
4. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
5. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
6. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
7. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
8. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
9. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
10. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail, citing evidence from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Joel and Dolly
2) Joel and Ira
3) Marguerite and Caleb
4) Marguerite and Dolly
Essay Topic 2
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following in detail and how each impacts the development of the plot in the early sections of the novel:
1) The physical setting of the novel: Isabella B, the ship
2) The physical setting of the novel: Maine.
3) The time period of the novel: 1743
This section contains 2,400 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)