|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
2. Who is Champlain?
3. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
4. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
5. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
2. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
3. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
4. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
5. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
6. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
9. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
10. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dolly Sargent? Is she a good mother? Why does she refuse affection to her children? Why does Dolly protest the move to Maine? Why does she go anyway? How does Dolly react when she discovers there is no house on their new farm? Why does Dolly not insist on returning to the city? How does Dolly treat Marguerite? How does Marguerite respond to this treatment? Why does Dolly refuse to burn her child's fingers to keep her from touching fire? Why does she later regret it?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Caleb? How does he treat Marguerite in the beginning of the novel? What does he think when Marguerite risks her life to help him save the animals during a storm? Does this change his perception of her? Why does Caleb lead Marguerite and the children into the woods and leave them alone? What happens when Marguerite tries to find her way home alone? How does Caleb feel about this? What do Caleb and Marguerite do together the night Debby is burned? How does this alter Caleb's opinion of Marguerite? How does Caleb feel when he learns that Marguerite might go to Canada to live in a convent? How does he react when she chooses to remain with the Sargents?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Sargent family on a ship? Where are they going? For what reason? How much of a risk are they taking by making this move? What could the benefits be of this move? What are some of the dangers? What happens when a storm hits the ship int he middle of the night? What does Marguerite do to help the family? Did she have to do that? How does this action change some of the opinions the Sargents hold of Marguerite? What does this act say about Marguerite's character? About her motivations?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)