|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
2. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
3. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
4. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
5. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
4. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
5. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
6. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
7. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
8. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
9. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
10. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail using examples from the novel to support your conclusions:
4) Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why do the Sargents stop in Falmouth after the storm? What do the children do when they leave the ship? What do they find? Who tells them about Indians? Why do these stories entertain the children but frighten the adults? What does Dolly Sargent think of these stories? How do these stories foreshadow trouble for the Sargent family? What do these stories say about the time period in which the novel is set? Do these stories follow what the reader should know about the history of this time period and this area of Maine? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Marguerite Ledoux? Why is she with the Sargent family? Why did Marguerite come to America in the first place? What did Marguerite's uncle dream they could do in America? What was Marguerite's role to be? What happened to her uncle? What happened to her grandmother? Where did Marguerite go after she was orphaned? Why do many Americans dislike the French? What does Caleb call Marguerite? For what reason?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)