|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice in the chaos of the Indians fighting over the cloth from the Maypole say to Marguerite that causes her to stop fearing for herself and the children?
2. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
(a) Eight or ten.
(b) Over a hundred.
(c) Five or six.
(d) Eighteen or twenty.
3. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Cooked in a stew.
(c) Fried in oil.
(d) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
4. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer thinks of Debby.
(b) She no longer thinks in French.
(c) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
(d) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
5. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(b) He not return to the point.
(c) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(d) He return to Marblehead.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
2. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
3. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
4. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
5. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
2. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
3. Why does Ira take Marguerite on his first visit to see Abby Welles after the long winter? What does Abby give to Marguerite?
4. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
5. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
6. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
7. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
8. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
9. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
10. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)