|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
2. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
3. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(b) He not return to the point.
(c) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(d) He return to Marblehead.
4. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(a) China cups.
(b) Silk material for a dress.
(c) A bracelet.
5. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(b) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
(c) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
(d) To impress her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
2. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
3. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
4. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
5. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
2. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
3. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
4. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
5. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
6. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
7. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
8. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
9. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
10. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)