|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
2. In what language does Marguerite sing her Christmas carols?
3. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
(a) Play with the maypole.
(b) Go swimming.
(c) Play with the doll.
(d) Wear a pair of shoes.
4. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He does not want to impose.
(b) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(c) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(d) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
5. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(b) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(c) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(d) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
2. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
3. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
4. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
5. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
2. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
3. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
4. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
5. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
6. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
7. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
8. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
9. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
10. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)