|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(b) That he is working too hard.
(c) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(d) That he is not working hard enough.
2. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
(a) Forcing Marguerite to do a chore.
(b) Making the children obey.
(c) Encouraging Hannah Welles to accept his engagement to Abby.
(d) Removing large stumps from the ground.
3. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(b) It is a traditional object of good luck.
(c) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
(d) It hides money in its silk.
4. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
(a) Firght Indians.
(b) Cry out for Debby.
(c) Moan in agony.
(d) Scream out orders to Ira and Caleb.
5. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
2. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
3. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
4. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
5. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)