|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a trough?
(a) A type of tree.
(b) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(c) A place where animals eat.
(d) A long, narrow container.
2. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
(a) She wants to milk the cow.
(b) She wants to look for blueberries.
(c) She wants to gather pine cones for the fire.
(d) She wants to look for eggs.
3. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(b) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(c) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(d) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
4. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
(a) Drink it.
(b) Store it away.
(c) Boil it.
(d) Lay it in the sun to dry in sheets.
5. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Whittling more dishes.
(b) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(c) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(d) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
2. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
3. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
4. What favorite memory of her grandmother at Christmas does Marguerite have?
5. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)