|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel Sargent.
2. In part 3, who does Marguerite find preparing for breakfast in the kitchen the morning after the men go to check on smoke at Sargent's Point?
(a) Dolly and Aunt Hespa.
(b) Abby and Hannah Welles.
(c) Kate Stanley and Dolly.
(d) Abby Welles and Aunt Hespa.
3. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
(a) That the Indians might come and take advantage of their vulnerability.
(b) That he cannot help care for the children.
(c) That the Jordans will not help.
(d) That the fields will not be planted in time.
4. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(b) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(c) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(d) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
5. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
(a) The Sargents would not allow it.
(b) She refused to accept the child's death.
(c) Her feet were too swollen from the cold.
(d) She had a cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
2. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
3. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
4. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
5. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
2. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
3. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
4. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
5. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
6. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
7. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
8. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
9. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
10. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)