|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
(d) Sugar water.
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(b) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
(c) She no longer thinks in French.
(d) She no longer thinks of Debby.
3. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(b) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(c) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(d) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
4. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A wall.
(c) A road.
(d) A trail.
5. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
2. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
3. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
4. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
5. What is a jog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
2. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
3. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
4. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
5. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
6. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
7. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
8. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
9. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
10. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)