|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Sargent men.
(b) The Morse men.
(c) The Stanley men.
(d) The Jordan men.
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(b) She no longer thinks of Debby.
(c) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
(d) She no longer thinks in French.
3. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
4. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Uncle Pierre.
(d) Her father.
5. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(b) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(c) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(d) Whittling more dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
2. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
3. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
4. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
5. Who is Marguerite a little afraid of seeing when they reach the Welles' farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
4. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
5. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
6. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
7. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
8. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
9. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
10. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)