|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
2. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is working too hard.
(b) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(c) That he is not working hard enough.
(d) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
3. What does Ira fashion to remove the sap from the sugar maple trees?
(a) Iron spikes.
(b) Steel nails.
(c) Hollowed out wooden pegs.
(d) A rubber hose.
4. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(b) A dress.
(c) Cotton underclothing.
5. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
2. What is a jog?
3. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
4. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
5. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
2. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
3. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
4. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
5. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
6. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
7. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
8. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
9. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
10. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)