|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(b) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(c) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(d) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
2. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
3. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
(a) Removal of roots and small stones.
(b) Pulling stumps.
4. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(b) He not return to the point.
(c) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(d) He return to Marblehead.
5. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
(a) Marguerite's trek across the frozen channel.
(b) The death of Debby.
(c) Raids by the Indians during the winter.
(d) Jacob's injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
2. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
3. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
4. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
5. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
2. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
3. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
4. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
5. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
6. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
7. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
8. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
9. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)