|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
(a) Feeding the livestock.
(b) Marking the days on his makeshift calendar.
(c) Collecting the sugar maple sap.
(d) Pulling weeds in the fields.
2. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(b) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(c) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(d) Pick the ears of corn.
3. In what language does Marguerite sing her Christmas carols?
4. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
(a) She wants to gather pine cones for the fire.
(b) She wants to look for eggs.
(c) She wants to look for blueberries.
(d) She wants to milk the cow.
5. What does Ira fashion to remove the sap from the sugar maple trees?
(a) Hollowed out wooden pegs.
(b) Iron spikes.
(c) Steel nails.
(d) A rubber hose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
2. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
3. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
4. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
5. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
2. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
3. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
4. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
5. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
6. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
7. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
8. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
9. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
10. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)