|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(c) Cotton underclothing.
(d) A dress.
2. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
(a) Removing large stumps from the ground.
(b) Making the children obey.
(c) Forcing Marguerite to do a chore.
(d) Encouraging Hannah Welles to accept his engagement to Abby.
3. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
(b) On Sunday Island.
(c) In Marblehead.
(d) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
4. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
(a) The loft where Seth and Ethan sleep.
(b) The kitchen floor.
(c) The barn.
(d) Aunt Hespa's room.
5. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
(a) Uncle Pierre.
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marguerite a little afraid of seeing when they reach the Welles' farm?
2. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
3. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
4. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
5. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
2. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
3. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
4. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
5. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
6. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
7. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
8. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
9. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)