|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A St. Jude medal.
(d) A Bible.
2. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(b) Pick the ears of corn.
(c) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(d) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
3. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(b) Maple sugar syrup.
(d) Store bought gifts.
4. Who is Marguerite a little afraid of seeing when they reach the Welles' farm?
(a) Nathan Welles.
(b) Hannah Welles.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Timothy Welles.
5. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
(a) The twins for pushing the child close to the fire.
(b) Ira for putting too many logs on the fire.
(c) Marguerite for not watching the child closer.
(d) Joel for brining them there and herself for not teaching the child to fear fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
2. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
3. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
4. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
5. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
2. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
3. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
4. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
5. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
6. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
7. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
8. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
9. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
10. What supplies have the Sargents run low on? Why?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)