|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
2. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
(a) February 27.
(b) December 31.
(c) March 1.
(d) January 1.
3. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
(a) To ask for help from the gods.
(b) To celebrate spring.
(c) To celebrate birthdays.
(d) To ask for help from neighbors in time of trouble.
4. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) Maple syrup.
(b) A record player.
(c) New strings for his violin.
(d) A new violin.
5. What is a jog?
(a) A type of exercise.
(b) A type of dance.
(c) A type of dress.
(d) A type of shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
2. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
3. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
4. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
5. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
2. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
3. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
4. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
5. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
6. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
7. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
8. Who does Abby Welles say a heartfelt goodbye to when the men leave? What does this say about her choice of suitors?
9. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
10. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)