|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(b) It causes the fire to go out.
(c) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(d) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
2. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not working hard enough.
(b) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is working too hard.
3. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
(a) She does not know what else to do.
(b) She wants to give him support to walk.
(c) She is concerned the bones will break through the skin.
(d) She needs to straighten the leg.
4. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
(a) Over a hundred.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Eight or ten.
(d) Eighteen or twenty.
5. What is a reel?
(a) A type of party game.
(b) A type of dance.
(c) A type of song.
(d) A type of musical instrument.
Short Answer Questions
1. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
2. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
3. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
4. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
5. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
2. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
3. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
4. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
5. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
6. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
7. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
8. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
9. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
10. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)