|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(d) The twins.
2. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
(a) A St. Jude medal.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) A rosary.
3. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
(a) Tomatoes, dried meat, and rice.
(b) Turnips, radishes, and potatoes.
(c) Carrots, corn, and peas.
(d) Turnips, cornmeal, and dried fish.
4. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
(c) Aunt Hespa.
5. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is working too hard.
(b) That he is not working hard enough.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is not doing a good enough job.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Marguerite sing her Christmas carols?
2. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
3. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
4. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
5. What is it rumored Ethan paid for Abby's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
2. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
3. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
4. What does Marguerite learn was the only thing the Sargents routinely do to celebrate Christmas?
5. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
6. What condition is the dog in when he makes his way back to house after the Indian attack the night of the corn shelling?
7. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
8. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
9. How do the Sargents friends and neighbors react when Marguerite dances a French dance?
10. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)