|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Boat across the channel.
(b) Walk across the frozen channel.
(c) Swim across the channel.
(d) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer thinks of Debby.
(b) She no longer thinks in French.
(c) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(d) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
3. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
4. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Sargent men.
(b) The Stanley men.
(c) The Morse men.
(d) The Jordan men.
5. In part 3, who does Marguerite find preparing for breakfast in the kitchen the morning after the men go to check on smoke at Sargent's Point?
(a) Abby and Hannah Welles.
(b) Abby Welles and Aunt Hespa.
(c) Kate Stanley and Dolly.
(d) Dolly and Aunt Hespa.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
2. What favorite memory of Christmas with the Sisters at the convent does Marguerite have?
3. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
4. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
5. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when the food runs out and the Indians continue to be a threat to Sargent's Point?
2. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
3. Why does Marguerite think that Ira Sargent has grown sullen? What does she do about it?
4. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
5. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
6. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
7. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
8. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
9. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
10. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)