|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Boat across the channel.
(b) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(c) Swim across the channel.
(d) Walk across the frozen channel.
2. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A trail.
(c) A road.
(d) A wall.
3. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
(a) A birthday gift.
(b) A Christmas gift.
(c) A peace offering.
(d) A peice of junk.
4. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
(a) Breaking branches.
(b) Bird calls.
5. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
(b) Quilt making.
(d) Dress making.
Short Answer Questions
1. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
2. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
3. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
4. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
5. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
2. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
3. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
4. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
5. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
6. How does Caleb arrange to travel to Boston on the Fortunate Star?
7. What type of gathering do the Jordans have shortly after Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan return from Portsmouth?
8. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
9. What does Marguerite go out into the fog to gather in Part 4? What happens when she does?
10. Before having a meal during the corn shelling, what do the people of the area pray for?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)