|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
(a) New stockings.
(b) Fresh herbs.
(c) A doll.
(d) A new dress.
2. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
3. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
(b) St. Louis.
(c) New York.
4. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
(b) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(c) The Indians have drawn on it.
(d) There have been many fires inside the cave.
5. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
2. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
3. Who is Seth Jordan?
4. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
5. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
2. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
3. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
4. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
7. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
8. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
9. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
10. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)