|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the children hope will come find them while they are lost in the woods in part 2?
2. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
(a) The sugar maples on the new land.
(b) The large amount of land as compared to only an acre or two in Marblehead.
(c) The ability to grow more food for the family.
(d) The farmhouse.
3. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
(a) A wooden cup.
(b) A rubber glove.
(c) A hollowed out gourd filled with milk.
(d) Cleaned pig intestines.
4. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
(a) Their ability to drink freely.
(b) Their ability to do as they please.
(c) Their ability to turn trees into homes.
(d) Their ability to ignore the children.
5. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(a) Opinions of their own.
(d) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
2. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
3. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
4. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
5. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
4. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
5. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
6. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
7. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
8. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
9. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
10. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)