|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
(a) Cooking the wildfowl.
(b) Keeping flies from the food.
(c) Minding the children.
(d) Filling the spaces between the logs on the new house.
2. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(b) Le Havre.
3. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
(a) A child's shoe buckle.
(b) A woman's petticoat.
(c) A woman's necklace.
(d) A child's toy.
4. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(b) There are too many storms in the area.
(c) The ship is too light.
(d) The ship is heavily loaded.
5. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
5. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
2. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
3. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
4. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
7. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
8. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
9. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
10. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)