|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a skiff?
(a) A surf board.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A laundry tool.
(d) A large sailboat.
2. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(b) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(c) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
(d) To prepare to build her new shoes.
3. Who is Seth Jordan?
(a) One of the Sargents' new neighbors.
(b) The previous owner of the Sargents' farm.
(c) The governor of the village where the Sargents are settling.
(d) Marguerite's cousin.
4. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(b) The ship is heavily loaded.
(c) The ship is too light.
(d) There are too many storms in the area.
5. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
(a) Isle au Haut.
(b) Mount Desert.
(c) Sunday Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
2. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
3. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
4. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
5. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
2. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
3. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
4. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
5. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
6. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
7. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
8. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
9. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
10. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)