|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
(a) To look for a farm of his own.
(b) To help build the house.
(c) To ensure payment.
(d) To give the family shelter on his boat.
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(b) To show off her poetic side.
(c) To build tension in the story.
(d) To preface the story.
4. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A dance studio.
(b) A shoe repair shop.
(c) A music store.
(d) A violin repair shop.
5. What is a bound-out girl?
(a) A girl who runs errands for a family.
(b) A girl who is sent to boarding school.
(c) A girl who travels with families in need.
(d) A girl who works as a servant in exchange for room and board.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the children hope will come find them while they are lost in the woods in part 2?
2. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
3. What is a loom?
4. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
5. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
2. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
5. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
6. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
7. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
8. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
9. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
10. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)