|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
(b) Dresses of silk.
(c) Dresses with color and patterns.
(d) Dresses of soft cotton.
2. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On a keg.
(b) On the ship's rail.
(c) On the ship's deck.
(d) On Marguerite's lap.
3. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
4. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(b) Ethan Jordan.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
5. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To preface the story.
(b) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(c) To build tension in the story.
(d) To show off her poetic side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
2. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
3. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
4. How many children do the Stanleys have?
5. How many children do the Sargents have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
2. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
3. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
4. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
5. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
6. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
7. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
8. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
9. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
10. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)