|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On the ship's deck.
(b) On a keg.
(c) On the ship's rail.
(d) On Marguerite's lap.
2. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
(a) Strawberries and beans.
(b) Milk thistle and blue bonnets.
(c) Goldenrod and red berries.
(d) Goldenrod and blueberries.
3. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) Green ribbons for their hair.
(b) New shoes.
(c) New dresses.
(d) Blue yarn in their hair.
4. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Whittling spoons out of wood.
(b) Building furniture.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Telling stories of their childhoods.
5. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
(a) Minding the children.
(b) Filling the spaces between the logs on the new house.
(c) Keeping flies from the food.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
2. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
3. What is a bound-out girl?
4. What is a dory?
5. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
4. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
5. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
6. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
7. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
8. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
9. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
10. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)