|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
(a) She is hit with debris while helping to save the livestock during a storm.
(b) She is kicked by one of the children in their sleep.
(c) She is punished by Joel Sargent for insolence.
(d) She falls below deck during the storm.
2. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
(a) She wants to keep it private, only for herself.
(b) The Sargents do not approve of her use of the foreign tongue.
(c) The Sargents cannot understand, therefore she is trying to be polite.
(d) She wants to surprise the Sargents by teaching the language to the children.
3. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) Storm clouds.
(b) The sea.
(c) The wind.
(d) A river.
4. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On the ship's rail.
(b) On Marguerite's lap.
(c) On the ship's deck.
(d) On a keg.
5. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
(d) Aunt Hespa.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
2. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
4. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
5. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
2. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
3. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
4. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
5. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
6. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
7. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
8. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
9. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
10. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)