|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(d) Le Havre.
2. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
(a) For allowing the children to follow the dog.
(b) For scaring it away.
(c) For leaving the butter in the stream.
(d) For allowing the dog to attack it.
3. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
4. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Seth Jordan.
(c) Ethan Jordan.
(d) Joel Sargent.
5. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(a) Planting rows of corn.
(b) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
3. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
4. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
5. Who is Seth Jordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joel Sargent injured in Part 4? How bad is the injury?
2. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
3. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
4. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
5. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
6. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
7. What quilt does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite to complete? For what purpose?
8. What does Joel tell Dolly about their sources of meat now that the cow and most of the chickens are gone?
9. What warning is stated in the final chorus of the song Aunt Hespa sings once more during the corn shelling?
10. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)