|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
(a) A wooden cup.
(b) A hollowed out gourd filled with milk.
(c) A rubber glove.
(d) Cleaned pig intestines.
2. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Scraping animal hides.
(b) Potato digging.
(c) Drying fish.
(d) Corn grinding.
3. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(a) Special thread.
(b) Good wool.
4. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
(a) Moving into the new house after blood was spilled in the doorway.
(b) Ignoring the advice of neighbors.
(c) Living so close to a known Indian burial ground.
(d) Allowing Aunt Hepsa to sew a cut on Jacob's head.
5. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To show off her poetic side.
(b) To preface the story.
(c) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(d) To build tension in the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
3. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
4. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
5. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
2. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
3. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
4. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
5. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
8. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
9. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
10. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)