|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A cotton dress.
(b) A silk christening dress.
(c) A holland jumper.
(d) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
2. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
(a) Reaches for the children.
(b) Reaches for her money.
(c) Reaches for her rosary.
(d) Reaches for her belongings.
3. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) Cotton underclothing.
(d) A new dress.
4. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(b) Enough for everyone.
(c) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
(d) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
5. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person omniscient.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
2. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
3. What does Marguerite think of her reflection after having not seen herself for many months?
4. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
5. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
2. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
3. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
4. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
5. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
6. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
7. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
8. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
9. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
10. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)