|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The Indians have drawn on it.
(b) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
(c) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(d) There have been many fires inside the cave.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their tails together.
(b) Rubbing their antenna together.
(c) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(d) Rubbing their front legs together.
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
(a) Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent and Caleb Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent and Ethan Jordan.
(d) Timothy and Abby Welles.
5. Who are the Morses?
(a) Cousins to the Jordans.
(b) The local magistrate.
(c) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(d) Marguerite's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
2. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
3. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
4. How many children do the Sargents have?
5. What is a skiff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does a stranger tell the children when he runs across them on the pasture lands outside Falmouth?
2. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. After the Maypole begins to fall apart at the end of Part 4, how does Marguerite finally make the Indians leave Sargent's Point?
5. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
6. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
7. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
8. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
9. What news do the men bring back from Sargent's Point when they return from checking on the cause of some smoke seen from Sunday Island?
10. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)