|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
(a) For leaving the butter in the stream.
(b) For scaring it away.
(c) For allowing the dog to attack it.
(d) For allowing the children to follow the dog.
2. What is a bound-out girl?
(a) A girl who is sent to boarding school.
(b) A girl who runs errands for a family.
(c) A girl who works as a servant in exchange for room and board.
(d) A girl who travels with families in need.
3. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Seth Jordan.
(c) Ira Sargent.
(d) Joel Sargent.
4. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Potato digging.
(b) Drying fish.
(c) Corn grinding.
(d) Scraping animal hides.
5. What does Marguerite think of her reflection after having not seen herself for many months?
(a) Her reflection seems odd to her becasue it has matured some.
(b) She thinks she looks like an Indian.
(c) She is unhappy with the shape of her nose.
(d) She likes what she sees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of view of the novel?
2. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
3. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
4. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
5. How many children do the Stanleys have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What work does Joel take on by himself when Ira and Caleb go away on the Fortunate Star?
2. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
3. What arrives in the channel to cause a great deal of excitement on Sargent's Point? What do they want?
4. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
5. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
6. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
7. Who does Marguerite run into while she is walking in the woods Christmas Eve to sing Christmas carols on her own? What does he tell her? What does she give him?
8. Why does Aunt Hespa invite Marguerite to her home at the end of Part 2?
9. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
10. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)