|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Aunt Hespa.
(d) Seth Jordan.
2. How many children do the Sargents have?
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(b) To build tension in the story.
(c) To show off her poetic side.
(d) To preface the story.
4. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He was murdered by theives.
(b) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(c) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(d) He died at sea.
5. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(d) Le Havre.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. Who are the Morses?
4. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
5. Who is Champlain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
2. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
3. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
4. Why does Marguerite go into the woods with the children? Why does Caleb leave them alone?
5. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
6. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
7. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
8. What makes Marguerite feel as if there is a piece of home in Penobscot Bay?
9. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
10. What causes Marguerite a rare moment of happiness during the Raising?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)