|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
(a) By cutting notches into a tree in the front yard.
(b) By cutting notches into the bed post.
(c) By cutting notches into a board.
(d) Cutting notches for each day into a pole beside the front door step.
2. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
(a) The large amount of land as compared to only an acre or two in Marblehead.
(b) The farmhouse.
(c) The sugar maples on the new land.
(d) The ability to grow more food for the family.
3. What is a bound-out girl?
(a) A girl who works as a servant in exchange for room and board.
(b) A girl who travels with families in need.
(c) A girl who is sent to boarding school.
(d) A girl who runs errands for a family.
4. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
(a) Potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
(b) Corn, rice, and radishes.
(c) Corn, turnips, and potatoes.
(d) Potatoes, rice, and watermelon.
5. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
(a) A child's shoe buckle.
(b) A woman's necklace.
(c) A woman's petticoat.
(d) A child's toy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
2. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
3. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
4. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
5. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
2. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
3. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
4. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
5. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
6. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
7. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
8. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
9. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
10. How does Jacob Sargent injure himself during the Raising? How does Marguerite help to care for the child?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)