|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jerusha?
(a) Joel's mother.
(b) A sheep.
(c) Dolly's sister.
(d) A corncob doll.
2. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
3. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(b) Planting rows of corn.
(c) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
4. How does Marguerite catch sight of her reflection for the first time in many months?
(a) She sees her reflection in a window.
(b) She finds a looking glass in the woods.
(c) She sees her reflection in the water.
(d) She finds a mirror among Dolly's belongings.
5. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
(a) Floors to be laid and furnishing constructed.
(b) Bedrooms are to be added later.
(c) Windows need glass.
(d) A stove needs to be brought from Marblehead.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
2. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
3. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
4. What is a loom?
5. What is a dory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
2. What does Aunt Hespa tell Dolly and Marguerite to do with the baby to ensure she will not play in the open fire in the main room of the house?
3. What does Abby Welles claim she would like to have when Ethan Jordan and Timothy Welles prepare to sail to Portsmouth on the Isabella B?
4. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
5. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
6. Why do the children follow the dog to the stream? What do they see? What happens next?
7. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
8. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
9. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
10. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)