|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
(a) By cutting notches into a board.
(b) By cutting notches into the bed post.
(c) By cutting notches into a tree in the front yard.
(d) Cutting notches for each day into a pole beside the front door step.
2. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A music store.
(b) A dance studio.
(c) A shoe repair shop.
(d) A violin repair shop.
3. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
(a) A horse lathered in sweat after a heavy run.
(b) Cows caught in a muddy paddock.
(c) Pigs playing in slop.
(d) Sheep just brought in from the fields.
4. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A cotton dress.
(b) A holland jumper.
(c) A silk christening dress.
(d) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
5. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
2. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
3. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
4. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
5. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Joel Sargent make to Marguerite at the end of the novel?
2. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
3. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
4. What do Caleb and Marguerite do after Debby is injured? What is the result?
5. Why does Dolly refuse to allow Marguerite to go to Sunday Island to get help? Why does their signal of a white sheet fail to gain notice?
6. Marguerite sees smoke at Sargent's Point when she goes to sit before the window after being criticized for her dance. Who does she tell? What do they do?
7. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
8. What does Marguerite think of the line dance that the neighbors teach her at the corn shelling?
9. How does Marguerite react to the arrival of the Indians after returning the children safely to the house?
10. What do the Sargents do to the sugar maple trees that makes Marguerite fear for their survival?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)