|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
(a) Pigs playing in slop.
(b) Cows caught in a muddy paddock.
(c) Sheep just brought in from the fields.
(d) A horse lathered in sweat after a heavy run.
2. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(b) The Indians have drawn on it.
(c) There have been many fires inside the cave.
(d) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
3. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dog.
(c) A cat.
(d) A tiger cub.
4. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The closeness.
(b) The bats.
(c) The idea of bears.
(d) The smell.
5. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(b) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(c) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
(d) Planting rows of corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
4. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
5. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
2. What type of cuttings does Seth Jordan bring the Sargents? For what reason?
3. What does Aunt Hespa show and teach Marguerite about while walking across the pastures on Sunday Island?
4. How does Marguerite become lost in the woods?
5. What is a Raising? Why does Caleb tell Marguerite it is important to the family?
6. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
7. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
8. Why do the children need to be cleaned up? Why do they protest?
9. How does Caleb react when he finds Marguerite and the children wondering alone in the woods?
10. Why does the Captain refuse to enter Penobscot Bay when they reach the mouth?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)