|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
2. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
(a) Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent and Caleb Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent and Ethan Jordan.
(d) Timothy and Abby Welles.
3. In Part 2, rumors of what delayed the sailing of the Isabella B in one of two incidences?
(a) Indian raids.
(b) A French invasion.
(c) Heavy seas.
(d) Bad storms.
4. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
(a) Clean up the wood chips from the chopping of logs.
(b) Install glass in the windows.
(c) Carry the furniture into the house.
(d) Press moss into the cracks between the logs.
5. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On the ship's deck.
(b) On a keg.
(c) On Marguerite's lap.
(d) On the ship's rail.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
2. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
3. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
4. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
5. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes some shock and fright as the Sargent family sets eyes on their new farm for the first time?
2. Why do the Sargents decide to put the livestock in the water and allow them to swim to their new farm rather than transport them some other way?
3. What luxuries does Marguerite find herself indulging in at Aunt Hespa's house shortly after rescuing the cow and calf?
4. What does Marguerite see in the sky over Sunday Island on the day she goes to help Aunt Hespa with the weaving of cloth?
5. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
6. What happens to the cow and her calf when they are put in the water to swim to shore? Who rescues them?
7. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
8. What does Marguerite show the Sargents that frightens them the night after she got lost in the woods?
9. Why does Marguerite stop to investigate a cave while searching for a way out of the woods?
10. How does life on Sunday Island compare to life on Sargents' Point in Marguerite's eyes?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)