|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
(a) Scream out orders to Ira and Caleb.
(b) Firght Indians.
(c) Moan in agony.
(d) Cry out for Debby.
2. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
(a) She follows the tip of the Big Dipper.
(b) She follows Pumpkin.
(c) She follows Caleb.
(d) She follows the Aurora Borealis.
3. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) An English prayer.
(b) A French prayer.
(c) An English lullaby.
(d) A French lullaby.
4. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not working hard enough.
(b) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is working too hard.
5. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
(a) Potatoes and tomatoes.
(b) Turnips and radishes.
(c) Barley and potatoes.
(d) Turnips and tomatoes.
6. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(b) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(c) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(d) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
7. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They force him to walk.
(b) They pick him up and carry him together.
(c) They call the Jordans.
(d) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
8. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
9. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her uncombed hair.
(b) Her torn stockings.
(c) Her old, outgrown dress.
(d) Her holey shoes.
10. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
(c) Dress making.
(d) Quilt making.
11. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(b) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(c) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(d) Pick the ears of corn.
12. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Joel Sargent.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Ira Sargent.
13. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Pilgrim's Passage.
(c) Pilgrim's Pride.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
14. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
(a) Carrots, corn, and peas.
(b) Turnips, cornmeal, and dried fish.
(c) Turnips, radishes, and potatoes.
(d) Tomatoes, dried meat, and rice.
15. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(c) The twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
2. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
3. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
4. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
5. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)