|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Aunt Hespa.
2. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Swim across the channel.
(b) Walk across the frozen channel.
(c) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(d) Boat across the channel.
3. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(b) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(c) That he is working too hard.
(d) That he is not working hard enough.
4. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
(a) Great Heart.
(c) Giant Despair.
(d) Dark Depression.
5. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
(a) A Christmas gift.
(b) A peice of junk.
(c) A peace offering.
(d) A birthday gift.
6. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
(b) On Sunday Island.
(c) In Marblehead.
(d) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
7. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
8. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
(b) Reciting the rosary despite her lack of beads.
(d) Reciting old prayers from the Bible.
9. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(b) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(c) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(d) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
10. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A wall.
(b) A trail.
(c) A road.
(d) A bridge.
11. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
(a) Coffee and beans for the people of Boston.
(b) Dried goods for the Royal Navy.
(c) Lumber to the Royal Navy.
(d) Cloth and tea for sale in Boston.
12. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
(b) A boat.
(c) A horse.
(d) A sled.
13. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Morse men.
(b) The Sargent men.
(c) The Jordan men.
(d) The Stanley men.
14. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Pilgrim's Pride.
(d) Pilgrim's Passage.
15. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
(c) Sugar water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Patty expect to be served at the Jordans' corn shelling?
2. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
3. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
4. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
5. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)