|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it rumored Ethan paid for Abby's gift?
(a) A shilling.
(b) A pound sterling.
(c) Two pounds sterling.
(d) Two pence.
2. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
(a) That the Indians might come and take advantage of their vulnerability.
(b) That he cannot help care for the children.
(c) That the fields will not be planted in time.
(d) That the Jordans will not help.
3. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
(a) Wear a pair of shoes.
(b) Play with the maypole.
(c) Play with the doll.
(d) Go swimming.
4. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They call the Jordans.
(b) They pick him up and carry him together.
(c) They force him to walk.
(d) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
5. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
(a) Coffee and beans for the people of Boston.
(b) Dried goods for the Royal Navy.
(c) Cloth and tea for sale in Boston.
(d) Lumber to the Royal Navy.
6. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(b) Whittling more dishes.
(c) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(d) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
7. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(b) He return to Marblehead.
(c) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(d) He not return to the point.
8. Who is Marguerite a little afraid of seeing when they reach the Welles' farm?
(a) Timothy Welles.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Nathan Welles.
(d) Hannah Welles.
9. What is a trough?
(a) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(b) A type of tree.
(c) A place where animals eat.
(d) A long, narrow container.
10. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) A new violin.
(b) A record player.
(c) Maple syrup.
(d) New strings for his violin.
11. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
(a) She wants to milk the cow.
(b) She wants to look for blueberries.
(c) She wants to gather pine cones for the fire.
(d) She wants to look for eggs.
12. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
(a) Turnips, radishes, and potatoes.
(b) Turnips, cornmeal, and dried fish.
(c) Tomatoes, dried meat, and rice.
(d) Carrots, corn, and peas.
13. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Swim across the channel.
(b) Walk across the frozen channel.
(c) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(d) Boat across the channel.
14. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her uncombed hair.
(b) Her torn stockings.
(c) Her old, outgrown dress.
(d) Her holey shoes.
15. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
2. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
3. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
4. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
5. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)