|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(b) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(c) Whittling more dishes.
(d) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
2. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
3. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
(a) Eight or ten.
(b) Over a hundred.
(c) Eighteen or twenty.
(d) Five or six.
4. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(a) The twins.
5. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the fire to go out.
(b) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(c) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(d) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
6. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
(a) Joel for brining them there and herself for not teaching the child to fear fire.
(b) Marguerite for not watching the child closer.
(c) The twins for pushing the child close to the fire.
(d) Ira for putting too many logs on the fire.
7. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
(a) Cry out for Debby.
(b) Scream out orders to Ira and Caleb.
(c) Firght Indians.
(d) Moan in agony.
8. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
(a) Turnips, cornmeal, and dried fish.
(b) Carrots, corn, and peas.
(c) Tomatoes, dried meat, and rice.
(d) Turnips, radishes, and potatoes.
9. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
10. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A St. Jude medal.
(d) A Bible.
11. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
12. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(b) She no longer thinks in French.
(c) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
(d) She no longer thinks of Debby.
13. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Aunt Hespa.
(d) Seth Jordan.
14. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
(a) A Christmas gift.
(b) A birthday gift.
(c) A peace offering.
(d) A peice of junk.
15. What is a trough?
(a) A place where animals eat.
(b) A type of tree.
(c) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(d) A long, narrow container.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
2. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
3. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
4. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
5. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)