|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
(a) Les Bon Dieu.
(b) Les Gris Hombre.
(c) Les Peres Neo.
(d) Les Peres Gris.
2. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
(b) To impress her mother.
(c) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(d) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
3. What does Ira fashion to remove the sap from the sugar maple trees?
(a) Iron spikes.
(b) Hollowed out wooden pegs.
(c) A rubber hose.
(d) Steel nails.
4. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) A new violin.
(b) New strings for his violin.
(c) Maple syrup.
(d) A record player.
5. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
(b) Fried in oil.
(c) Cooked in a stew.
6. What is a reel?
(a) A type of song.
(b) A type of dance.
(c) A type of party game.
(d) A type of musical instrument.
7. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On Sunday Island.
(b) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
(c) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
(d) In Marblehead.
8. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
(a) Fear of disease.
(b) Fear Ira and Caleb will fail to return.
(c) Fear of failure with the crops.
(d) Fear of Indian raids.
9. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(b) He return to Marblehead.
(c) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(d) He not return to the point.
10. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(b) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(c) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(d) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
11. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He does not want to impose.
(b) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
(c) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(d) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
12. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
(a) A birthday gift.
(b) A peice of junk.
(c) A Christmas gift.
(d) A peace offering.
13. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
(a) She follows Pumpkin.
(b) She follows Caleb.
(c) She follows the Aurora Borealis.
(d) She follows the tip of the Big Dipper.
14. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(b) Maple sugar syrup.
(c) Store bought gifts.
15. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His dried fish and fishing pole.
(b) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(c) His collection of seashells.
(d) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, who does Marguerite find preparing for breakfast in the kitchen the morning after the men go to check on smoke at Sargent's Point?
2. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
3. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
4. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
5. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)