|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Stanley men.
(b) The Sargent men.
(c) The Jordan men.
(d) The Morse men.
2. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His dried fish and fishing pole.
(b) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(c) His collection of seashells.
(d) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
3. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(b) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
(c) It causes the fire to go out.
(d) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
4. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Fried in oil.
(c) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
(d) Cooked in a stew.
5. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
(a) Les Gris Hombre.
(b) Les Peres Neo.
(c) Les Peres Gris.
(d) Les Bon Dieu.
6. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
(b) Reciting old prayers from the Bible.
(c) Reciting the rosary despite her lack of beads.
7. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Pick the ears of corn.
(b) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(c) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(d) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
8. In part 3, who does Marguerite find preparing for breakfast in the kitchen the morning after the men go to check on smoke at Sargent's Point?
(a) Abby Welles and Aunt Hespa.
(b) Kate Stanley and Dolly.
(c) Abby and Hannah Welles.
(d) Dolly and Aunt Hespa.
9. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Penobscot Bay.
(b) Mount Desert.
(c) Sunday Island.
(d) Isle de Jean.
10. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It hides money in its silk.
(b) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(c) It is a traditional object of good luck.
(d) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
11. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A trail.
(c) A wall.
(d) A road.
12. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(b) He does not want to impose.
(c) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(d) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
13. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
(a) The Sargents would not allow it.
(b) She had a cold.
(c) She refused to accept the child's death.
(d) Her feet were too swollen from the cold.
14. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
(a) Carrots, corn, and peas.
(b) Tomatoes, dried meat, and rice.
(c) Turnips, radishes, and potatoes.
(d) Turnips, cornmeal, and dried fish.
15. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
(a) Raids by the Indians during the winter.
(b) Jacob's injury.
(c) The death of Debby.
(d) Marguerite's trek across the frozen channel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
2. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
3. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
4. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
5. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)