|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
(c) Dress making.
(d) Quilt making.
2. What is a trough?
(a) A long, narrow container.
(b) A place where animals eat.
(c) A type of tree.
(d) A bag filled with cornmeal.
3. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
4. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
(a) Pumpkin pie.
(b) Fresh bread.
(c) Spice cake.
(d) Molasses cakes.
5. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(b) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(c) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(d) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
6. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
(a) She follows Pumpkin.
(b) She follows the tip of the Big Dipper.
(c) She follows the Aurora Borealis.
(d) She follows Caleb.
7. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
(a) The barn.
(b) The kitchen floor.
(c) The loft where Seth and Ethan sleep.
(d) Aunt Hespa's room.
8. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
(a) January 1.
(b) December 31.
(c) February 27.
(d) March 1.
9. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
(b) On Sunday Island.
(c) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
(d) In Marblehead.
10. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He does not want to impose.
(b) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(c) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(d) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
11. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer thinks of Debby.
(b) She no longer thinks in French.
(c) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(d) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
12. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
(a) They tell him to ask his parents.
(b) They welcome him.
(c) They outright refuse him.
(d) They laugh.
13. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Cooked in a stew.
(c) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
(d) Fried in oil.
14. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
(b) Bird calls.
(c) Breaking branches.
15. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
(a) She does not know what else to do.
(b) She needs to straighten the leg.
(c) She wants to give him support to walk.
(d) She is concerned the bones will break through the skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
2. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
3. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
4. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
5. What is a reel?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)