|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a trough?
(a) A type of tree.
(b) A long, narrow container.
(c) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(d) A place where animals eat.
2. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(a) Maple sugar syrup.
(d) Store bought gifts.
3. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Play with the doll.
(c) Wear a pair of shoes.
(d) Play with the maypole.
4. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(d) The twins.
5. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
(a) They welcome him.
(b) They laugh.
(c) They outright refuse him.
(d) They tell him to ask his parents.
6. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
(a) Marguerite for not watching the child closer.
(b) Joel for brining them there and herself for not teaching the child to fear fire.
(c) The twins for pushing the child close to the fire.
(d) Ira for putting too many logs on the fire.
7. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
(a) Raids by the Indians during the winter.
(b) Marguerite's trek across the frozen channel.
(c) Jacob's injury.
(d) The death of Debby.
8. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
9. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) Reciting old prayers from the Bible.
(d) Reciting the rosary despite her lack of beads.
10. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On Sunday Island.
(b) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
(c) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
(d) In Marblehead.
11. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(b) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
(c) To impress her mother.
(d) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
12. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the fire to go out.
(b) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(c) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(d) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
13. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) An English lullaby.
(b) A French lullaby.
(c) An English prayer.
(d) A French prayer.
14. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(b) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(c) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
(d) He does not want to impose.
15. What food does Patty expect to be served at the Jordans' corn shelling?
(a) Molasses cakes.
(b) Hasty pudding.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Potato salad.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
2. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
3. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
4. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
5. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)