|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(a) A dress.
(b) Cotton underclothing.
2. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
3. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(b) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(c) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(d) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
4. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
(b) Aunt Hespa.
5. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Sunday Island.
(b) Isle de Jean.
(c) Penobscot Bay.
(d) Mount Desert.
6. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) Maple syrup.
(b) A new violin.
(c) A record player.
(d) New strings for his violin.
7. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
(a) January 1.
(b) March 1.
(c) February 27.
(d) December 31.
8. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Ethan Jordan.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Seth Jordan.
9. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
(b) His collection of seashells.
(c) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(d) His dried fish and fishing pole.
10. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
(a) They welcome him.
(b) They tell him to ask his parents.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They outright refuse him.
11. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
(a) Dark Depression.
(b) Giant Despair.
(d) Great Heart.
12. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Walk across the frozen channel.
(b) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(c) Swim across the channel.
(d) Boat across the channel.
13. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(b) The twins.
14. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A wall.
(b) A road.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A trail.
15. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
(a) Quilt making.
(b) Dress making.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
2. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
3. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
4. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
5. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)