|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
(c) Sugar water.
2. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(c) A dress.
(d) Cotton underclothing.
3. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(b) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(c) Whittling more dishes.
(d) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
4. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Pilgrim's Pride.
(d) Pilgrim's Passage.
5. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
(a) To ask for help from neighbors in time of trouble.
(b) To celebrate birthdays.
(c) To ask for help from the gods.
(d) To celebrate spring.
6. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(b) It causes the fire to go out.
(c) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
(d) It causes the animals to flee the area.
7. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(b) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(c) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(d) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
8. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
9. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Sargent men.
(b) The Jordan men.
(c) The Stanley men.
(d) The Morse men.
10. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) An English prayer.
(b) An English lullaby.
(c) A French lullaby.
(d) A French prayer.
11. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
(a) Les Gris Hombre.
(b) Les Bon Dieu.
(c) Les Peres Gris.
(d) Les Peres Neo.
12. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(b) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(c) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(d) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
13. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
14. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is working too hard.
(b) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is not working hard enough.
15. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
(a) They laugh.
(b) They tell him to ask his parents.
(c) They welcome him.
(d) They outright refuse him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
3. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
4. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
5. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)