|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(c) Maple sugar syrup.
(d) Store bought gifts.
2. What change in her private thoughts does Marguerite suddenly notice in part 4?
(a) She no longer wants to return to Le Harve.
(b) She no longer remembers her grandmother's face.
(c) She no longer thinks in French.
(d) She no longer thinks of Debby.
3. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(b) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(c) It causes the fire to go out.
(d) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
4. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
5. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
(a) A boat.
(b) A sled.
(c) A horse.
6. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
(b) They call the Jordans.
(c) They pick him up and carry him together.
(d) They force him to walk.
7. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
8. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
(c) Aunt Hespa.
9. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(d) The twins.
10. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
(a) Eighteen or twenty.
(b) Eight or ten.
(c) Over a hundred.
(d) Five or six.
11. What sound does Marguerite hear in the fog that convinces her there are Indians surrounding her?
(c) Bird calls.
(d) Breaking branches.
12. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
13. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
(b) Aunt Hespa.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Seth Jordan.
14. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
(b) His collection of seashells.
(c) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(d) His dried fish and fishing pole.
15. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(b) He not return to the point.
(c) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(d) He return to Marblehead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
2. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
3. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
4. What is a reel?
5. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)