|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice in the chaos of the Indians fighting over the cloth from the Maypole say to Marguerite that causes her to stop fearing for herself and the children?
2. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not working hard enough.
(b) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(c) That he is working too hard.
(d) That he is not doing a good enough job.
3. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(b) It causes the fire to go out.
(c) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
(d) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
4. What food does Patty expect to be served at the Jordans' corn shelling?
(a) Fried chicken.
(b) Potato salad.
(c) Hasty pudding.
(d) Molasses cakes.
5. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
6. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) Pilgrim's Pride.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Pilgrim's Passage.
7. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
8. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(c) Maple sugar syrup.
(d) Store bought gifts.
9. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Ethan Jordan.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Seth Jordan.
10. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) Reciting the rosary despite her lack of beads.
(d) Reciting old prayers from the Bible.
11. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It is a traditional object of good luck.
(b) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(c) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
(d) It hides money in its silk.
12. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
(b) Aunt Hespa.
13. In part 3, what advice does Seth Jordan give Joel Sargent when Joel plans on his return to Sargent's Point?
(a) He send the children back to Marblehead.
(b) He leave the women on Sunday Island.
(c) He return to Marblehead.
(d) He not return to the point.
14. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her holey shoes.
(b) Her old, outgrown dress.
(c) Her torn stockings.
(d) Her uncombed hair.
15. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To impress her mother.
(b) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(c) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
(d) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
2. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
3. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
4. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
5. What is a reel?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)