|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Isle de Jean.
(b) Sunday Island.
(c) Penobscot Bay.
(d) Mount Desert.
2. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
(b) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(c) His dried fish and fishing pole.
(d) His collection of seashells.
3. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) A new violin.
(b) Maple syrup.
(c) New strings for his violin.
(d) A record player.
4. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
5. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Seth Jordan.
6. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
(a) She had a cold.
(b) Her feet were too swollen from the cold.
(c) She refused to accept the child's death.
(d) The Sargents would not allow it.
7. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
(a) She follows the tip of the Big Dipper.
(b) She follows Pumpkin.
(c) She follows the Aurora Borealis.
(d) She follows Caleb.
8. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) Silk material for a dress.
(d) China cups.
9. What does a voice in the chaos of the Indians fighting over the cloth from the Maypole say to Marguerite that causes her to stop fearing for herself and the children?
10. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(b) The twins.
11. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
12. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
(a) Fear of disease.
(b) Fear of failure with the crops.
(c) Fear of Indian raids.
(d) Fear Ira and Caleb will fail to return.
13. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
(a) She wants to look for blueberries.
(b) She wants to gather pine cones for the fire.
(c) She wants to milk the cow.
(d) She wants to look for eggs.
14. What is a reel?
(a) A type of dance.
(b) A type of party game.
(c) A type of song.
(d) A type of musical instrument.
15. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
(b) Giant Despair.
(c) Great Heart.
(d) Dark Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
2. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
3. What is it rumored Ethan paid for Abby's gift?
4. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
5. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)