|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
2. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
(a) Barley and potatoes.
(b) Turnips and radishes.
(c) Turnips and tomatoes.
(d) Potatoes and tomatoes.
3. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(a) A dress.
(c) Cotton underclothing.
4. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
(a) Drink it.
(b) Lay it in the sun to dry in sheets.
(c) Boil it.
(d) Store it away.
5. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
6. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
(b) Maple sugar syrup.
(d) Store bought gifts.
7. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(b) Whittling more dishes.
(c) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(d) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
8. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
9. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It hides money in its silk.
(b) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
(c) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(d) It is a traditional object of good luck.
10. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) Silk material for a dress.
(d) China cups.
11. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
(a) Spice cake.
(b) Molasses cakes.
(c) Pumpkin pie.
(d) Fresh bread.
12. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
(a) Play with the doll.
(b) Go swimming.
(c) Play with the maypole.
(d) Wear a pair of shoes.
13. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(b) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(c) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(d) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
14. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(b) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(c) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(d) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
15. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
(a) The Sargents would not allow it.
(b) She refused to accept the child's death.
(c) Her feet were too swollen from the cold.
(d) She had a cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
2. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
3. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
4. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
5. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)