|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
(d) Aunt Hespa.
2. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Fried in oil.
(b) Cooked in a stew.
(c) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
3. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
4. What does a voice in the chaos of the Indians fighting over the cloth from the Maypole say to Marguerite that causes her to stop fearing for herself and the children?
5. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the fire to go out.
(b) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
(c) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(d) It causes the animals to flee the area.
6. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
(a) That the fields will not be planted in time.
(b) That the Jordans will not help.
(c) That he cannot help care for the children.
(d) That the Indians might come and take advantage of their vulnerability.
7. What food does Patty expect to be served at the Jordans' corn shelling?
(a) Molasses cakes.
(b) Hasty pudding.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Potato salad.
8. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(b) That he is working too hard.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is not working hard enough.
9. Who is Marguerite a little afraid of seeing when they reach the Welles' farm?
(a) Abby Welles.
(b) Hannah Welles.
(c) Timothy Welles.
(d) Nathan Welles.
10. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His collection of seashells.
(b) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
(c) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
(d) His dried fish and fishing pole.
11. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Seth Jordan.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
12. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
13. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
14. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(b) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
(c) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(d) He does not want to impose.
15. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
Short Answer Questions
1. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
2. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
3. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
4. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
5. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)