|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) Pilgrim's Pride.
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Pilgrim's Passage.
(d) The Bible.
2. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(b) A bracelet.
(c) China cups.
(d) Silk material for a dress.
3. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
(a) Barley and potatoes.
(b) Turnips and tomatoes.
(c) Potatoes and tomatoes.
(d) Turnips and radishes.
4. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It hides money in its silk.
(b) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
(c) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(d) It is a traditional object of good luck.
5. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her old, outgrown dress.
(b) Her holey shoes.
(c) Her uncombed hair.
(d) Her torn stockings.
6. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
(a) To ask for help from neighbors in time of trouble.
(b) To celebrate spring.
(c) To ask for help from the gods.
(d) To celebrate birthdays.
7. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To impress her mother.
(b) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
(c) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
(d) To make a fancy wedding dress.
8. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
(a) Ira for putting too many logs on the fire.
(b) Joel for brining them there and herself for not teaching the child to fear fire.
(c) The twins for pushing the child close to the fire.
(d) Marguerite for not watching the child closer.
9. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
(a) Jacob's injury.
(b) Raids by the Indians during the winter.
(c) The death of Debby.
(d) Marguerite's trek across the frozen channel.
10. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(b) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(c) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(d) Whittling more dishes.
11. What is the response of the sailors when Caleb asks to go with them to Boston?
(a) They laugh.
(b) They welcome him.
(c) They tell him to ask his parents.
(d) They outright refuse him.
12. What is the name of the girl in Aunt Hespa's song, Calico Bush?
13. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
(c) Fried in oil.
(d) Cooked in a stew.
14. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A wall.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A trail.
(d) A road.
15. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(b) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
(c) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(d) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
2. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
3. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
4. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
5. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)