|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In part 3, where does Marguerite put the children to sleep while the men investigate the fire on Sargent's Point?
(a) The barn.
(b) The loft where Seth and Ethan sleep.
(c) The kitchen floor.
(d) Aunt Hespa's room.
2. What does Caleb ask Marguerite to take care of in his absence?
(a) His dried fish and fishing pole.
(b) His collection of seashells.
(c) His hunting rifle and ammunition.
(d) His drying squirrel skins and wooden boat.
3. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
(a) Forcing Marguerite to do a chore.
(b) Encouraging Hannah Welles to accept his engagement to Abby.
(c) Removing large stumps from the ground.
(d) Making the children obey.
4. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Pilgrim's Passage.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Pilgrim's Pride.
5. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel Sargent.
6. Who weighs heaviest on Marguerite's mind when she thinks of taking Joel Sargent's offer and leave Maine to live in a convent in French Canada?
(c) Aunt Hespa.
7. What is a reel?
(a) A type of dance.
(b) A type of party game.
(c) A type of musical instrument.
(d) A type of song.
8. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(b) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(c) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(d) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
9. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(b) Walk across the frozen channel.
(c) Swim across the channel.
(d) Boat across the channel.
10. What is it rumored Ethan paid for Abby's gift?
(a) Two pounds sterling.
(b) A pound sterling.
(c) Two pence.
(d) A shilling.
11. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Sunday Island.
(b) Penobscot Bay.
(c) Mount Desert.
(d) Isle de Jean.
12. Why does Marguerite tell the children people in France and England dance the Maypole?
(a) To ask for help from the gods.
(b) To celebrate birthdays.
(c) To celebrate spring.
(d) To ask for help from neighbors in time of trouble.
13. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
(a) Collecting the sugar maple sap.
(b) Marking the days on his makeshift calendar.
(c) Pulling weeds in the fields.
(d) Feeding the livestock.
14. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her old, outgrown dress.
(b) Her uncombed hair.
(c) Her torn stockings.
(d) Her holey shoes.
15. Who does Dolly blame for the baby's burns?
(a) Marguerite for not watching the child closer.
(b) Ira for putting too many logs on the fire.
(c) The twins for pushing the child close to the fire.
(d) Joel for brining them there and herself for not teaching the child to fear fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
2. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
3. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
4. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
5. What do the Sargents do with the sap once they have drained it from the trees?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)