|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ira Sargent compare to pulling the teeth of a giant?
(a) Making the children obey.
(b) Removing large stumps from the ground.
(c) Forcing Marguerite to do a chore.
(d) Encouraging Hannah Welles to accept his engagement to Abby.
2. What does Marguerite call the button she presses into the Indian's hand before leaving him?
(a) A peice of junk.
(b) A birthday gift.
(c) A peace offering.
(d) A Christmas gift.
3. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(b) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(c) Pick the ears of corn.
(d) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
4. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
(a) Spice cake.
(b) Pumpkin pie.
(c) Fresh bread.
(d) Molasses cakes.
5. In part 4, what do the twins draw straws to do?
(a) Go swimming.
(b) Play with the maypole.
(c) Wear a pair of shoes.
(d) Play with the doll.
6. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is working too hard.
(b) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(c) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
(d) That he is not working hard enough.
7. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(b) A dress.
(c) Cotton underclothing.
8. Why does Joel Sargent refuse to ask any of his neighbors for more ammunition?
(a) He does not think his neighbors would give him any because they all want to see the Indians get him and the family.
(b) He doesn't believe they would give it to him either from need or because he refused to listen to advice.
(c) He is too proud to beg for anything.
(d) He does not want to impose.
9. What excuse does Marguerite give Dolly when she slips out of the house Christmas Eve?
(a) She wants to gather pine cones for the fire.
(b) She wants to look for blueberries.
(c) She wants to milk the cow.
(d) She wants to look for eggs.
10. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They pick him up and carry him together.
(b) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
(c) They call the Jordans.
(d) They force him to walk.
11. In part 3, who does Marguerite find preparing for breakfast in the kitchen the morning after the men go to check on smoke at Sargent's Point?
(a) Abby and Hannah Welles.
(b) Dolly and Aunt Hespa.
(c) Abby Welles and Aunt Hespa.
(d) Kate Stanley and Dolly.
12. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) An English lullaby.
(b) A French prayer.
(c) An English prayer.
(d) A French lullaby.
13. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
(a) That the Indians might come and take advantage of their vulnerability.
(b) That the Jordans will not help.
(c) That the fields will not be planted in time.
(d) That he cannot help care for the children.
14. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Joel Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent.
(d) Seth Jordan.
15. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(b) Swim across the channel.
(c) Boat across the channel.
(d) Walk across the frozen channel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
2. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
3. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
4. In part 3, what drink does Ira give the dog when it returns from its fight with the Indians?
5. How does Marguerite keep going in the right direction during her attempts to retrieve Aunt Hespa?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)