|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does Marguerite sing her Christmas carols?
2. How does Susan claim the Indians eat their clams in part 4?
(a) Cooked wrapped in seaweed.
(b) Fried in oil.
(d) Cooked in a stew.
3. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Walk across the frozen channel.
(b) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(c) Swim across the channel.
(d) Boat across the channel.
4. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
(a) She wants to give him support to walk.
(b) She is concerned the bones will break through the skin.
(c) She needs to straighten the leg.
(d) She does not know what else to do.
5. What does a voice in the chaos of the Indians fighting over the cloth from the Maypole say to Marguerite that causes her to stop fearing for herself and the children?
6. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) Maple syrup.
(b) A new violin.
(c) New strings for his violin.
(d) A record player.
7. Who follows Marguerite to the grave when she finally has a chance to visit it?
8. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(b) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(c) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(d) Whittling more dishes.
9. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
(b) The twins.
10. What does the Indian call the person who helped heal him in Quebec?
(a) Les Peres Gris.
(b) Les Gris Hombre.
(c) Les Peres Neo.
(d) Les Bon Dieu.
11. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
(a) It causes the animals to flee the area.
(b) It causes water to drip on the fire and cause smoke to fill the house.
(c) It causes wind to blow through cracks at the windows.
(d) It causes the fire to go out.
12. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
13. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
(d) Aunt Hespa.
14. At the beginning of part 4, what does Ira wish there was between Sargent's Point and the Welles farm?
(a) A road.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A trail.
(d) A wall.
15. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
(a) Raids by the Indians during the winter.
(b) The death of Debby.
(c) Marguerite's trek across the frozen channel.
(d) Jacob's injury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
2. What is a reel?
3. How does Aunt Hespa get across the channel to help treat Debby's burns?
4. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
5. What treat does Abby talk her mother into serving Ira Sargent and Marguerite?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)