|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel Sargent.
2. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Isle de Jean.
(b) Sunday Island.
(c) Mount Desert.
(d) Penobscot Bay.
3. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
4. In part 3, it is revealed that Ira plans to make his home where?
(a) On Sunday Island.
(b) In Marblehead.
(c) On an acre of land Mr. Welles has given him.
(d) On a hundred acres of land on Sargent's Point that Joel has given him.
5. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(b) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(c) Whittling more dishes.
(d) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
6. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(b) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
(c) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(d) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
7. Who taught Marguerite to dance the pavane?
(b) Uncle Pierre.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
8. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) A new violin.
(b) Maple syrup.
(c) New strings for his violin.
(d) A record player.
9. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
(b) They force him to walk.
(c) They call the Jordans.
(d) They pick him up and carry him together.
10. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
(b) To impress her mother.
(c) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(d) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
11. What cargo does the Fortunate Star carry?
(a) Cloth and tea for sale in Boston.
(b) Coffee and beans for the people of Boston.
(c) Dried goods for the Royal Navy.
(d) Lumber to the Royal Navy.
12. What is the first word the Indian in the woods speaks to Marguerite?
13. Who does Marguerite think of when she and the Sargents indulge in the maple sugar?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(c) Aunt Hespa.
(d) Abby Welles.
14. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
(a) Great Heart.
(b) Giant Despair.
(d) Dark Depression.
15. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(b) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(c) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(d) Pick the ears of corn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
2. What is a trough?
3. What chore does Marguerite take over in Ira's absence?
4. How many Indians does Marguerite see in the cover and in the woods at the end of Part 4?
5. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)