|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abby want to learn the embroidery stitches Marguerite learned to do in a convent in France?
(a) To decorate some napkins she is making for the home she will share with Ira.
(b) To impress her mother.
(c) To make a fancy wedding dress.
(d) To decorate the collars of her new dresses.
2. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(b) Silk material for a dress.
(c) China cups.
(d) A bracelet.
3. What is Joel's largest concern as he lay disabled by his injury in part 4?
(a) That he cannot help care for the children.
(b) That the Indians might come and take advantage of their vulnerability.
(c) That the fields will not be planted in time.
(d) That the Jordans will not help.
4. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Sargent men.
(b) The Jordan men.
(c) The Stanley men.
(d) The Morse men.
5. In part 3, what gift did Ethan bring his father that causes joy for Marguerite?
(a) New strings for his violin.
(b) A record player.
(c) Maple syrup.
(d) A new violin.
6. In part 3, who sings the most often after the corn shelling is done?
(d) Aunt Hespa.
7. What book does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite inspired the quilt pattern Delectable Mountain?
(a) Pilgrim's Passage.
(b) Pilgrim's Pride.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) The Bible.
8. What are the guests at the Jordans' corn shelling expected to do?
(a) Shred the corn kernels from the cob.
(b) Make creamed corn from the ears of corn.
(c) Peel the outer covering from dried corn.
(d) Pick the ears of corn.
9. In part 3, whose cruel comments have caused Marguerite to feel sad and old?
10. What landmark does Marguerite try to fix in her mind to recall once she returns to Sargent's Point?
(a) Penobscot Bay.
(b) Mount Desert.
(c) Isle de Jean.
(d) Sunday Island.
11. What is a trough?
(a) A long, narrow container.
(b) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(c) A type of tree.
(d) A place where animals eat.
12. What is a jog?
(a) A type of dress.
(b) A type of shoes.
(c) A type of dance.
(d) A type of exercise.
13. What item does Marguerite wish she had at the beginning of part 3 so that she might pray for Ira Sargent and Abby Welles?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A St. Jude medal.
(d) A Bible.
14. In part 3, how does Marguerite spend the long night while the men check the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) Reciting the rosary despite her lack of beads.
(d) Reciting old prayers from the Bible.
15. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
(a) That he is not working hard enough.
(b) That he is working too hard.
(c) That he is not doing a good enough job.
(d) That he is trying to do everything too perfectly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
2. In Aunt Hespa's book, who kept Doubting Castle?
3. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
4. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
5. What does Ira take to the Welles on his first visit after the worst of the winter storms?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)