|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dolly quickly insist on putting a splint on Joel's injured leg?
(a) She wants to give him support to walk.
(b) She needs to straighten the leg.
(c) She is concerned the bones will break through the skin.
(d) She does not know what else to do.
2. What item of clothing does Dolly threaten to make one of and force the other children to stay indoors while one wears it?
(a) Cotton underclothing.
(b) A dress.
3. What about her own appearance does Marguerite become aware when sitting near Abby Welles?
(a) Her torn stockings.
(b) Her old, outgrown dress.
(c) Her uncombed hair.
(d) Her holey shoes.
4. Which of the children begins to show the most ill effects from the harsh winter weather?
5. What task do the men set to as they wait for the final days of winter to blow away?
(a) Fixing new handles for the axes and preparing the other tools.
(b) Moving snow from around the house to prepare a garden.
(c) Clearing the land of trees for planting.
(d) Whittling more dishes.
6. What gift does Hannah Welles feel Abby should have returned when she made the choice to marry Ira Sargent?
(a) A bracelet Timothy gave her.
(b) The six teacups Ethan Jordan gave her.
(c) A pocketwatch Captain Hunt gave her.
(d) Silk cloth Seth Jordan gave her.
7. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
(b) Removal of roots and small stones.
(d) Pulling stumps.
8. How do Marguerite and Dolly get Joel back to the house after he is injured?
(a) They force him to walk.
(b) They call the Jordans.
(c) They drag him, crawling foot by foot.
(d) They pick him up and carry him together.
9. In part 3, who keeps watch through the night while the men go to check on the fire at Sargent's Point?
(a) The Jordan men.
(b) The Sargent men.
(c) The Morse men.
(d) The Stanley men.
10. As the weather warms, what fear comes over the Sargent family?
(a) Fear of Indian raids.
(b) Fear of disease.
(c) Fear of failure with the crops.
(d) Fear Ira and Caleb will fail to return.
11. What is a trough?
(a) A bag filled with cornmeal.
(b) A long, narrow container.
(c) A place where animals eat.
(d) A type of tree.
12. What items has Seth Jordan given the Sargents to plant in their fields?
(a) Potatoes and tomatoes.
(b) Barley and potatoes.
(c) Turnips and tomatoes.
(d) Turnips and radishes.
13. What gift did Ethan Jordan bring to Abby Welles upon his return from Portsmouth?
(b) A bracelet.
(c) Silk material for a dress.
(d) China cups.
14. How does Marguerite propose she reach Aunt Hespa for help in caring for Debby's burns?
(a) Walk across the frozen channel.
(b) Boat across the channel.
(c) Climb over the channel on an old rope bridge.
(d) Swim across the channel.
15. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) A French lullaby.
(b) An English prayer.
(c) A French prayer.
(d) An English lullaby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint does Dolly make in part 4 as Joel prepares the fields for planting?
2. What type of dress that Abby is making does she show Marguerite on her visit in part 4?
3. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
4. At the end of part 3, what is the first word Debby clearly speaks?
5. What date does Ira Sargent tell Marguerite it will be the day after she has visited Debby's grave?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)