|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a dory?
(a) A small boat.
(b) A large ship.
(c) A tool.
(d) A bird.
2. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) Green ribbons for their hair.
(b) New dresses.
(c) Blue yarn in their hair.
(d) New shoes.
3. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
(b) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
(c) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
(d) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
4. Who are the Morses?
(a) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(b) Marguerite's family.
(c) Cousins to the Jordans.
(d) The local magistrate.
5. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses with color and patterns.
(b) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
(c) Dresses of silk.
(d) Dresses of soft cotton.
6. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
(a) Caleb Sargent.
(b) Dolly Sargent.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Ira Sargent.
7. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
8. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
(a) Isadora D.
(c) Isabella B.
9. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
(a) Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent and Ethan Jordan.
(c) Timothy and Abby Welles.
(d) Ira Sargent and Caleb Sargent.
10. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Scraping animal hides.
(b) Potato digging.
(c) Corn grinding.
(d) Drying fish.
11. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The smell.
(b) The idea of bears.
(c) The closeness.
(d) The bats.
12. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(b) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
(c) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(d) To prepare to build her new shoes.
13. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
14. In what year does the novel begin?
15. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
(a) Their ability to do as they please.
(b) Their ability to ignore the children.
(c) Their ability to turn trees into homes.
(d) Their ability to drink freely.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marguerite catch sight of her reflection for the first time in many months?
2. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
3. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
4. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
5. How many children do the Sargents have?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)