|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) A falling star.
(c) The full moon.
(d) The direction to their new home.
2. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(a) Mullein leaves.
(c) Bayberry leaves.
(d) Sheep laurel petals.
3. How does Marguerite catch sight of her reflection for the first time in many months?
(a) She finds a mirror among Dolly's belongings.
(b) She sees her reflection in a window.
(c) She sees her reflection in the water.
(d) She finds a looking glass in the woods.
4. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(a) Special thread.
(c) Good wool.
5. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
(a) Ignoring the advice of neighbors.
(b) Living so close to a known Indian burial ground.
(c) Moving into the new house after blood was spilled in the doorway.
(d) Allowing Aunt Hepsa to sew a cut on Jacob's head.
6. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
(a) Ira Sargent and Caleb Sargent.
(b) Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan.
(c) Timothy and Abby Welles.
(d) Ira Sargent and Ethan Jordan.
7. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
(a) The farmhouse.
(b) The ability to grow more food for the family.
(c) The large amount of land as compared to only an acre or two in Marblehead.
(d) The sugar maples on the new land.
8. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
(a) Potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
(b) Corn, turnips, and potatoes.
(c) Potatoes, rice, and watermelon.
(d) Corn, rice, and radishes.
9. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The Indians have drawn on it.
(b) There have been many fires inside the cave.
(c) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(d) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
10. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
(a) For allowing the children to follow the dog.
(b) For allowing the dog to attack it.
(c) For scaring it away.
(d) For leaving the butter in the stream.
11. What is a loom?
(a) A device that makes thread from wool.
(b) A device that cleans raw wool.
(c) A device that weaves thread into cloth.
(d) A device that dyes raw wool.
12. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Second person.
13. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(a) A new dress.
(d) Cotton underclothing.
14. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
(a) To give the family shelter on his boat.
(b) To ensure payment.
(c) To help build the house.
(d) To look for a farm of his own.
15. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is sniffing at the ground.
(b) He is chasing his tail.
(c) He is barking his afraid bark.
(d) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, rumors of what delayed the sailing of the Isabella B in one of two incidences?
2. What is a bound-out girl?
3. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
4. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
5. How many children do the Sargents have?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)