|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) The ship is too light.
(b) There are too many storms in the area.
(c) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(d) The ship is heavily loaded.
2. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
(a) Corn, rice, and radishes.
(b) Potatoes, rice, and watermelon.
(c) Potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
(d) Corn, turnips, and potatoes.
3. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
(a) She is hit with debris while helping to save the livestock during a storm.
(b) She is punished by Joel Sargent for insolence.
(c) She falls below deck during the storm.
(d) She is kicked by one of the children in their sleep.
4. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(b) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(c) To prepare to build her new shoes.
(d) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
5. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(b) Dried fruit.
6. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
(a) Their ability to drink freely.
(b) Their ability to do as they please.
(c) Their ability to ignore the children.
(d) Their ability to turn trees into homes.
7. How many children do the Sargents have?
8. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(b) Good wool.
(d) Special thread.
9. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
10. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
(a) Allowing Aunt Hepsa to sew a cut on Jacob's head.
(b) Moving into the new house after blood was spilled in the doorway.
(c) Ignoring the advice of neighbors.
(d) Living so close to a known Indian burial ground.
11. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person omniscient.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person limited.
12. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
(a) Abby Welles.
(b) Caleb Sargent.
(c) Dolly Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
13. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
(a) Goldenrod and red berries.
(b) Strawberries and beans.
(c) Goldenrod and blueberries.
(d) Milk thistle and blue bonnets.
14. What sport does Caleb indulge in that has resulted in great amounts of meat to be dried for winter use?
15. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(b) The children.
(c) Opinions of their own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Morses?
2. Who does the children hope will come find them while they are lost in the woods in part 2?
3. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
4. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
5. Who is Seth Jordan?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)