|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
2. What does Caleb criticize Marguerite for doing after she saw the bear?
(a) For allowing the dog to attack it.
(b) For leaving the butter in the stream.
(c) For scaring it away.
(d) For allowing the children to follow the dog.
3. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
(a) Caleb Sargent.
(b) Dolly Sargent.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
4. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(a) Mullein leaves.
(c) Sheep laurel petals.
(d) Bayberry leaves.
5. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) Enough for everyone.
(b) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(c) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
(d) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
6. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
(a) Keeping flies from the food.
(b) Filling the spaces between the logs on the new house.
(c) Minding the children.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
7. What sport does Caleb indulge in that has resulted in great amounts of meat to be dried for winter use?
8. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
(a) They compare the men's clothing.
(b) They compare the men's stamina.
(c) They compare the men's tools.
(d) They compare the men's work abilities.
9. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(b) Le Havre.
10. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(a) Special thread.
(c) Good wool.
11. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
(a) She wants to surprise the Sargents by teaching the language to the children.
(b) She wants to keep it private, only for herself.
(c) The Sargents do not approve of her use of the foreign tongue.
(d) The Sargents cannot understand, therefore she is trying to be polite.
12. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He was murdered by theives.
(b) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(c) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(d) He died at sea.
13. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Corn grinding.
(b) Scraping animal hides.
(c) Drying fish.
(d) Potato digging.
14. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) A French term for cemetery.
(b) A French term for homeland.
(c) An Indian term for holy land.
(d) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
15. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A cotton dress.
(b) A silk christening dress.
(c) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
(d) A holland jumper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
2. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
3. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
4. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
5. What is a loom?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)