|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) There are too many storms in the area.
(b) The ship is heavily loaded.
(c) The ship is too light.
(d) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
2. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
(a) She falls below deck during the storm.
(b) She is punished by Joel Sargent for insolence.
(c) She is hit with debris while helping to save the livestock during a storm.
(d) She is kicked by one of the children in their sleep.
3. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
(a) Caleb Sargent.
(b) Aunt Hespa.
(c) Marguerite Ledoux.
(d) Dolly Sargent.
4. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
(a) Sheep just brought in from the fields.
(b) A horse lathered in sweat after a heavy run.
(c) Cows caught in a muddy paddock.
(d) Pigs playing in slop.
5. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
6. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) Cotton underclothing.
(c) A new dress.
7. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(b) The direction to their new home.
(c) A falling star.
(d) The full moon.
8. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is barking his afraid bark.
(b) He is sniffing at the ground.
(c) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
(d) He is chasing his tail.
9. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(c) Dried fruit.
10. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
(a) To give the family shelter on his boat.
(b) To look for a farm of his own.
(c) To ensure payment.
(d) To help build the house.
11. Who are the Morses?
(a) Cousins to the Jordans.
(b) Marguerite's family.
(c) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(d) The local magistrate.
12. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To prepare to build her new shoes.
(b) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(c) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(d) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
13. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
14. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
(a) Corn, turnips, and potatoes.
(b) Corn, rice, and radishes.
(c) Potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
(d) Potatoes, rice, and watermelon.
15. What is a skiff?
(a) A surf board.
(b) A laundry tool.
(c) A large sailboat.
(d) A small boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
2. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
3. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
4. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
5. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)