|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
(a) Ethan Jordan broke his leg.
(b) Ira Sargent suffered a snake bite.
(c) Abby Welles had a fever.
(d) Timothy Welles injured his hand.
2. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
3. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
(b) A silk christening dress.
(c) A holland jumper.
(d) A cotton dress.
4. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
5. What sport does Caleb indulge in that has resulted in great amounts of meat to be dried for winter use?
6. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
(d) The floor.
7. What is a loom?
(a) A device that makes thread from wool.
(b) A device that dyes raw wool.
(c) A device that cleans raw wool.
(d) A device that weaves thread into cloth.
8. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Barn raising.
(b) A roof raising.
(c) Wool gathering.
(d) Corn shelling.
9. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
10. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
(a) Reaches for her money.
(b) Reaches for her rosary.
(c) Reaches for the children.
(d) Reaches for her belongings.
11. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) Green ribbons for their hair.
(b) New dresses.
(c) New shoes.
(d) Blue yarn in their hair.
12. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To preface the story.
(b) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(c) To build tension in the story.
(d) To show off her poetic side.
13. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
(c) Aunt Hespa.
14. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
(a) Keeping flies from the food.
(b) Minding the children.
(c) Cooking the wildfowl.
(d) Filling the spaces between the logs on the new house.
15. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(b) Opinions of their own.
(d) The children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
2. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
3. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
4. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
5. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)