|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. How many children do the Sargents have?
3. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
(a) Watching over the children.
(b) Filling the spaces between logs on the new house.
(c) Keeping flies from the food.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
4. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
5. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) There are too many storms in the area.
(b) The ship is heavily loaded.
(c) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(d) The ship is too light.
6. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
7. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) First person.
8. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(b) Enough for everyone.
(c) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(d) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
9. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(b) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(c) He was murdered by theives.
(d) He died at sea.
10. What is a skiff?
(a) A small boat.
(b) A surf board.
(c) A laundry tool.
(d) A large sailboat.
11. What is a dory?
(a) A bird.
(b) A large ship.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A tool.
12. Who is Champlain?
(a) A French painter.
(b) A French explorer.
(c) A French priest.
(d) A French aristocrat.
13. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(b) Rubbing their antenna together.
(c) Rubbing their front legs together.
(d) Rubbing their tails together.
14. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Abby Welles.
(b) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Aunt Hespa.
15. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
(a) Joel Sargent.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Ethan Jordan.
(d) Seth Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
2. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
3. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
4. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
5. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)