|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He was murdered by theives.
(b) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(c) He died at sea.
(d) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
2. How many children do the Sargents have?
3. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) The wind.
(b) Storm clouds.
(c) A river.
(d) The sea.
4. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(d) Dried fruit.
5. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) The direction to their new home.
(c) The full moon.
(d) A falling star.
6. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
(b) Isle au Haut.
(c) Sunday Island.
(d) Mount Desert.
7. How many children do the Stanleys have?
8. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A pig.
(b) A hen.
(c) A cow.
(d) A sheep.
9. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
(a) Dolly Sargent.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Caleb Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
10. In what year does the novel begin?
11. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
(a) Clean up the wood chips from the chopping of logs.
(b) Press moss into the cracks between the logs.
(c) Install glass in the windows.
(d) Carry the furniture into the house.
12. What work do the women indulge after the large meal is finished during the Raising?
(a) Knitting and patchwork.
(b) Washing dishes.
(d) Darning socks.
13. Who is Jerusha?
(a) A sheep.
(b) Joel's mother.
(c) Dolly's sister.
(d) A corncob doll.
14. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(b) Rubbing their tails together.
(c) Rubbing their antenna together.
(d) Rubbing their front legs together.
15. Who does the children hope will come find them while they are lost in the woods in part 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
2. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
3. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
4. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
5. What is the point of view of the novel?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)