|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
(a) Abby Welles.
(b) Mary Jane Morse.
(c) Hannah Welles.
(d) Eliza Stanley.
2. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
(a) By cutting notches into a board.
(b) By cutting notches into a tree in the front yard.
(c) By cutting notches into the bed post.
(d) Cutting notches for each day into a pole beside the front door step.
3. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
(a) They compare the men's tools.
(b) They compare the men's clothing.
(c) They compare the men's work abilities.
(d) They compare the men's stamina.
4. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
(a) A tiger cub.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
5. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(d) Dried fruit.
6. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Building furniture.
(b) Telling stories of their childhoods.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Whittling spoons out of wood.
7. What is a loom?
(a) A device that makes thread from wool.
(b) A device that cleans raw wool.
(c) A device that weaves thread into cloth.
(d) A device that dyes raw wool.
8. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
(a) Press moss into the cracks between the logs.
(b) Install glass in the windows.
(c) Clean up the wood chips from the chopping of logs.
(d) Carry the furniture into the house.
9. In what year does the novel begin?
10. What is a dory?
(a) A tool.
(b) A small boat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A large ship.
11. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
(a) A stove needs to be brought from Marblehead.
(b) Bedrooms are to be added later.
(c) Windows need glass.
(d) Floors to be laid and furnishing constructed.
12. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(a) Planting rows of corn.
(b) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
13. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their tails together.
(b) Rubbing their antenna together.
(c) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(d) Rubbing their front legs together.
14. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Barn raising.
(b) Wool gathering.
(c) A roof raising.
(d) Corn shelling.
15. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
(b) Enough for everyone.
(c) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(d) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
2. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
3. Who is Seth Jordan?
4. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
5. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)