|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
(b) To prepare to build her new shoes.
(c) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(d) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
2. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
(a) Allowing Aunt Hepsa to sew a cut on Jacob's head.
(b) Ignoring the advice of neighbors.
(c) Living so close to a known Indian burial ground.
(d) Moving into the new house after blood was spilled in the doorway.
3. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Seth Jordan.
(c) Ira Sargent.
(d) Joel Sargent.
4. What work do the women indulge after the large meal is finished during the Raising?
(a) Washing dishes.
(c) Darning socks.
(d) Knitting and patchwork.
5. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(a) Le Havre.
6. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
(a) To keep from being forced from their land.
(b) To keep from scaring the neighbors into leaving the area.
(c) To keep from inspiring revenge killings.
(d) To keep from spreading fear or bringing retribution on themselves.
7. What is the last thing the men do to the house before they finish work at the Raising?
(a) Press moss into the cracks between the logs.
(b) Clean up the wood chips from the chopping of logs.
(c) Install glass in the windows.
(d) Carry the furniture into the house.
8. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(c) Opinions of their own.
(d) The children.
9. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
(a) Sprigged calico.
(d) Spun cotton.
10. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) The wind.
(b) A river.
(c) Storm clouds.
(d) The sea.
11. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Scraping animal hides.
(b) Drying fish.
(c) Corn grinding.
(d) Potato digging.
12. Who is Seth Jordan?
(a) Marguerite's cousin.
(b) The governor of the village where the Sargents are settling.
(c) One of the Sargents' new neighbors.
(d) The previous owner of the Sargents' farm.
13. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses of soft cotton.
(b) Dresses of silk.
(c) Dresses with color and patterns.
(d) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
14. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
(a) Floors to be laid and furnishing constructed.
(b) Bedrooms are to be added later.
(c) A stove needs to be brought from Marblehead.
(d) Windows need glass.
15. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
(a) Reaches for the children.
(b) Reaches for her belongings.
(c) Reaches for her money.
(d) Reaches for her rosary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
2. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
3. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
4. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
5. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)