|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The Indians have drawn on it.
(b) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
(c) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(d) There have been many fires inside the cave.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their tails together.
(b) Rubbing their antenna together.
(c) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(d) Rubbing their front legs together.
4. Who is to sail with the Isabella B when it leaves for Portsmouth?
(a) Timothy Welles and Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent and Caleb Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent and Ethan Jordan.
(d) Timothy and Abby Welles.
5. Who are the Morses?
(a) Cousins to the Jordans.
(b) The local magistrate.
(c) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(d) Marguerite's family.
6. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is barking his afraid bark.
(b) He is sniffing at the ground.
(c) He is chasing his tail.
(d) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
7. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(c) A new dress.
(d) Cotton underclothing.
8. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The smell.
(b) The closeness.
(c) The bats.
(d) The idea of bears.
9. How many children do the Sargents have?
10. What is a skiff?
(a) A surf board.
(b) A laundry tool.
(c) A large sailboat.
(d) A small boat.
11. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
12. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
(a) To keep from scaring the neighbors into leaving the area.
(b) To keep from spreading fear or bringing retribution on themselves.
(c) To keep from being forced from their land.
(d) To keep from inspiring revenge killings.
13. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
(a) By cutting notches into a board.
(b) By cutting notches into the bed post.
(c) By cutting notches into a tree in the front yard.
(d) Cutting notches for each day into a pole beside the front door step.
14. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) A falling star.
(b) The direction to their new home.
(d) The full moon.
15. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
(a) Dolly Sargent.
(b) Marguerite Ledoux.
(c) Aunt Hespa.
(d) Caleb Sargent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
2. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
3. What is a loom?
4. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
5. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)