|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(b) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(c) Enough for everyone.
(d) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
2. Who is Champlain?
(a) A French priest.
(b) A French painter.
(c) A French aristocrat.
(d) A French explorer.
3. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Whittling spoons out of wood.
(b) Telling stories of their childhoods.
(c) Reading the Bible.
(d) Building furniture.
4. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
(c) Poor Farm.
5. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
(a) The same age.
(b) A year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Two years.
6. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
7. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
(b) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
(c) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
(d) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
8. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) A falling star.
(b) The full moon.
(d) The direction to their new home.
9. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
(a) One saved a French explorer.
(b) A Baron of France married one.
(c) They often live with the French.
(d) They come from French Canada.
10. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) New dresses.
(b) Blue yarn in their hair.
(c) Green ribbons for their hair.
(d) New shoes.
11. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
(b) Isle au Haut.
(c) Mount Desert.
(d) Sunday Island.
12. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) Storm clouds.
(b) A river.
(c) The sea.
(d) The wind.
13. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses of silk.
(b) Dresses of soft cotton.
(c) Dresses with color and patterns.
(d) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
14. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
(a) Their ability to ignore the children.
(b) Their ability to drink freely.
(c) Their ability to do as they please.
(d) Their ability to turn trees into homes.
15. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
2. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
3. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
4. How has Ira Sargent created a calendar at the new farm?
5. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)