|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) Cotton underclothing.
(d) A new dress.
2. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(c) Dried fruit.
3. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Whittling spoons out of wood.
(b) Reading the Bible.
(c) Telling stories of their childhoods.
(d) Building furniture.
4. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A pig.
(c) A hen.
(d) A cow.
5. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
(a) Ira Sargent suffered a snake bite.
(b) Abby Welles had a fever.
(c) Timothy Welles injured his hand.
(d) Ethan Jordan broke his leg.
6. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(b) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
(c) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(d) To prepare to build her new shoes.
7. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
8. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
(a) Poor Farm.
9. What image does Dolly suggest the neighbors will compare her children to if they are not washed and cleaned?
(a) Cows caught in a muddy paddock.
(b) Pigs playing in slop.
(c) A horse lathered in sweat after a heavy run.
(d) Sheep just brought in from the fields.
10. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
(b) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
(c) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
(d) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
11. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Potato digging.
(b) Drying fish.
(c) Scraping animal hides.
(d) Corn grinding.
12. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A dance studio.
(b) A music store.
(c) A shoe repair shop.
(d) A violin repair shop.
13. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
14. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is barking his afraid bark.
(b) He is chasing his tail.
(c) He is sniffing at the ground.
(d) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
15. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
(a) Corn, turnips, and potatoes.
(b) Potatoes, rice, and watermelon.
(c) Potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
(d) Corn, rice, and radishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Passageewakeag?
2. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
3. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
4. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
5. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)