|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
(a) Rubbing their antenna together.
(b) Rubbing their front legs together.
(c) Rubbing their hind legs together.
(d) Rubbing their tails together.
2. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
3. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
(c) Poor Farm.
4. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
(a) She is punished by Joel Sargent for insolence.
(b) She is kicked by one of the children in their sleep.
(c) She is hit with debris while helping to save the livestock during a storm.
(d) She falls below deck during the storm.
5. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) A French term for homeland.
(b) An Indian term for holy land.
(c) A French term for cemetery.
(d) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
6. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(b) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(c) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
(d) Enough for everyone.
7. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Building furniture.
(b) Reading the Bible.
(c) Whittling spoons out of wood.
(d) Telling stories of their childhoods.
8. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
(a) They come from French Canada.
(b) A Baron of France married one.
(c) One saved a French explorer.
(d) They often live with the French.
9. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
(a) Hannah Welles.
(b) Eliza Stanley.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Mary Jane Morse.
10. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
(a) The floor.
11. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The idea of bears.
(b) The closeness.
(c) The bats.
(d) The smell.
12. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A holland jumper.
(b) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
(c) A cotton dress.
(d) A silk christening dress.
13. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
(a) They compare the men's stamina.
(b) They compare the men's work abilities.
(c) They compare the men's clothing.
(d) They compare the men's tools.
14. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
(a) A hollowed out gourd filled with milk.
(b) A rubber glove.
(c) A wooden cup.
(d) Cleaned pig intestines.
15. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) The direction to their new home.
(b) The full moon.
(c) A falling star.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
2. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
3. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
4. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)