|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A shoe repair shop.
(b) A music store.
(c) A dance studio.
(d) A violin repair shop.
2. What is a bound-out girl?
(a) A girl who runs errands for a family.
(b) A girl who travels with families in need.
(c) A girl who is sent to boarding school.
(d) A girl who works as a servant in exchange for room and board.
3. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
4. What is a dory?
(a) A large ship.
(b) A tool.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A bird.
5. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
(b) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
(c) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
(d) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
6. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
(a) Poor Farm.
7. What is a skiff?
(a) A laundry tool.
(b) A large sailboat.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A surf board.
8. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
(a) Spun cotton.
(b) Sprigged calico.
9. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
(a) Milk thistle and blue bonnets.
(b) Goldenrod and red berries.
(c) Strawberries and beans.
(d) Goldenrod and blueberries.
10. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The smell.
(b) The bats.
(c) The idea of bears.
(d) The closeness.
11. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
(a) Keeping flies from the food.
(b) Cooking the wildfowl.
(c) Filling the spaces between logs on the new house.
(d) Watching over the children.
12. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
13. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A cow.
(b) A hen.
(c) A pig.
(d) A sheep.
14. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is sniffing at the ground.
(b) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
(c) He is barking his afraid bark.
(d) He is chasing his tail.
15. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Dolly Sargent.
(d) Caleb Sargent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
2. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
3. What is the point of view of the novel?
4. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
5. Who is Jerusha?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)