|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
(a) A good servant in Marguerite.
(b) Good neighbors willing to work.
(c) Good weather for the Raising.
(d) The health of her children.
2. How many children do the Stanleys have?
3. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(b) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(c) To prepare to build her new shoes.
(d) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
4. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The closeness.
(b) The idea of bears.
(c) The bats.
(d) The smell.
5. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) A new dress.
(c) Cotton underclothing.
6. In Part 2, rumors of what delayed the sailing of the Isabella B in one of two incidences?
(a) Bad storms.
(b) Indian raids.
(c) Heavy seas.
(d) A French invasion.
7. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
(b) A French term for cemetery.
(c) An Indian term for holy land.
(d) A French term for homeland.
8. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
9. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
(a) Ethan Jordan broke his leg.
(b) Ira Sargent suffered a snake bite.
(c) Timothy Welles injured his hand.
(d) Abby Welles had a fever.
10. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(a) Special thread.
(d) Good wool.
11. Who is Champlain?
(a) A French priest.
(b) A French painter.
(c) A French explorer.
(d) A French aristocrat.
12. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On Marguerite's lap.
(b) On the ship's deck.
(c) On the ship's rail.
(d) On a keg.
13. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Seth Jordan.
14. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(b) Bayberry leaves.
(c) Mullein leaves.
(d) Sheep laurel petals.
15. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
(a) New stockings.
(b) Fresh herbs.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
2. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
3. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
4. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
5. In what year does the novel begin?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)