|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
(d) Aunt Hespa.
2. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
(b) A silk christening dress.
(c) A holland jumper.
(d) A cotton dress.
3. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
(b) Dresses with color and patterns.
(c) Dresses of soft cotton.
(d) Dresses of silk.
4. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
(a) Abby Welles.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Dolly Sargent.
(d) Caleb Sargent.
5. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
6. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(b) Sheep laurel petals.
(c) Bayberry leaves.
(d) Mullein leaves.
7. Who are the Morses?
(a) Marguerite's family.
(b) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(c) Cousins to the Jordans.
(d) The local magistrate.
8. What do the children talk about as they watch the men work at the Raising?
(a) They compare the men's work abilities.
(b) They compare the men's stamina.
(c) They compare the men's clothing.
(d) They compare the men's tools.
9. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
(a) Watching over the children.
(b) Filling the spaces between logs on the new house.
(c) Keeping flies from the food.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
10. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) New shoes.
(b) New dresses.
(c) Blue yarn in their hair.
(d) Green ribbons for their hair.
11. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
(a) To help build the house.
(b) To look for a farm of his own.
(c) To give the family shelter on his boat.
(d) To ensure payment.
12. What does Hannah Welles claim is tempting Providence in Part 2?
(a) Allowing Aunt Hepsa to sew a cut on Jacob's head.
(b) Moving into the new house after blood was spilled in the doorway.
(c) Living so close to a known Indian burial ground.
(d) Ignoring the advice of neighbors.
13. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A music store.
(b) A violin repair shop.
(c) A dance studio.
(d) A shoe repair shop.
14. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
(a) New stockings.
(b) Fresh herbs.
(c) A doll.
(d) A new dress.
15. How does Marguerite catch sight of her reflection for the first time in many months?
(a) She finds a looking glass in the woods.
(b) She finds a mirror among Dolly's belongings.
(c) She sees her reflection in a window.
(d) She sees her reflection in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
2. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
5. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)