|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of whom is the poem Maypole Point about?
(d) Aunt Hespa.
2. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
(c) Spun cotton.
(d) Sprigged calico.
3. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
(a) To keep from spreading fear or bringing retribution on themselves.
(b) To keep from scaring the neighbors into leaving the area.
(c) To keep from inspiring revenge killings.
(d) To keep from being forced from their land.
4. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A cow.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A pig.
(d) A hen.
5. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) Cotton underclothing.
(d) A new dress.
6. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(b) Bayberry leaves.
(c) Sheep laurel petals.
(d) Mullein leaves.
7. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
(a) To ensure payment.
(b) To help build the house.
(c) To look for a farm of his own.
(d) To give the family shelter on his boat.
8. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
(b) Isabella B.
(d) Isadora D.
9. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
(a) Dolly Sargent.
(b) Marguerite Ledoux.
(c) Caleb Sargent.
(d) Aunt Hespa.
10. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On the ship's deck.
(b) On the ship's rail.
(c) On a keg.
(d) On Marguerite's lap.
11. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(b) Enough for everyone.
(c) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
(d) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
12. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
(b) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
(c) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
(d) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
13. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(a) The children.
(c) Opinions of their own.
14. Why does Becky Sargent suggest the dog, Pumpkin, smells Indians?
(a) He is chasing his tail.
(b) He is barking his afraid bark.
(c) He is chasing the neighbors from house.
(d) He is sniffing at the ground.
15. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(c) Dried fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
2. Who are the Morses?
3. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
4. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
5. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)