|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(b) Joel Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent.
(d) Ethan Jordan.
2. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
(d) The floor.
3. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
(a) A Baron of France married one.
(b) One saved a French explorer.
(c) They often live with the French.
(d) They come from French Canada.
4. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(b) A new dress.
(d) Cotton underclothing.
5. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) The ship is heavily loaded.
(b) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(c) There are too many storms in the area.
(d) The ship is too light.
6. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
(a) Her uncle's wedding ring and her grandmother's watch.
(b) A button of her uncle's and a brooch of her grandmother's.
(c) One of her uncle's buttons and her grandmother's plain gold ring.
(d) Her grandmother's ring and her uncle's photograph.
7. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Wool gathering.
(b) Corn shelling.
(c) A roof raising.
(d) Barn raising.
8. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
9. What work do the women indulge after the large meal is finished during the Raising?
(b) Darning socks.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Knitting and patchwork.
10. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(a) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(c) Planting rows of corn.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
11. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
(a) Filling the spaces between the logs on the new house.
(b) Minding the children.
(c) Keeping flies from the food.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
12. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(b) Dried fruit.
13. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A pig.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A cow.
(d) A hen.
14. What special clothing is Debby wearing for the Raising?
(a) A holland jumper.
(b) A cotton dress.
(c) A silk christening dress.
(d) A homespun t-shirt and diaper.
15. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Off of what island is it said is the best fishing in Penobscot Bay?
2. What is a dory?
3. Why does Joel Sargent tell his wife the captain of the Isabella B stayed with them for so long?
4. What crops did the Sargents plant upon their arrival that are just coming up in Part 2?
5. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)