|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) The direction to their new home.
(b) A falling star.
(c) The full moon.
2. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) The sea.
(b) Storm clouds.
(c) A river.
(d) The wind.
3. What kind of dress to several of the Sargent children wish they could have?
(a) Dresses of silk.
(b) Dresses with long, stiff skirts.
(c) Dresses with color and patterns.
(d) Dresses of soft cotton.
4. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
(a) A stove needs to be brought from Marblehead.
(b) Bedrooms are to be added later.
(c) Windows need glass.
(d) Floors to be laid and furnishing constructed.
5. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(a) A new dress.
(c) Cotton underclothing.
6. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
7. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
(a) To create a sock-like thing to help her new boots fit better.
(b) To show her how to make a drawing of a turkey.
(c) To help her learn how to make her own stockings.
(d) To prepare to build her new shoes.
8. How many pairs of shoes does Dolly tell Aunt Hespa there are for her children and Marguerite that winter in Part 2?
(a) Enough for everyone.
(b) One pair for two children and one for Marguerite.
(c) Two pair for four children and none for Marguerite.
(d) Three pair for five children and two for Marguerite.
9. Whose fresh dress and white knitted stockings makes Marguerite feel self conscious?
(a) Mary Jane Morse.
(b) Eliza Stanley.
(c) Abby Welles.
(d) Hannah Welles.
10. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
(a) Special thread.
(c) Good wool.
11. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
(a) To keep from inspiring revenge killings.
(b) To keep from scaring the neighbors into leaving the area.
(c) To keep from spreading fear or bringing retribution on themselves.
(d) To keep from being forced from their land.
12. In Aunt Hespa's song, what is the dress the young woman wanted to make her dress out of?
(b) Spun cotton.
(d) Sprigged calico.
13. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
(b) The Indians have drawn on it.
(c) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(d) There have been many fires inside the cave.
14. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
(b) An Indian term for holy land.
(c) A French term for cemetery.
(d) A French term for homeland.
15. Who is the main character of Calico Bush?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Caleb Sargent.
(c) Dolly Sargent.
(d) Marguerite Ledoux.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Marguerite want to attend to at the Raising?
2. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
3. What is the point of view of the novel?
4. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
5. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)