|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marguerite point out in the night sky to the children?
(a) A falling star.
(b) The direction to their new home.
(d) The full moon.
2. Why is the roof of the cave darkened?
(a) There have been many fires inside the cave.
(b) The bears have rubbed against it, staining it with the oils from their coats.
(c) The Indians have drawn on it.
(d) The damp has caused a growth of mold.
3. Who does the children hope will come find them while they are lost in the woods in part 2?
4. In part 2, what bird does Marguerite show a reluctance to eat?
5. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Joel Sargent.
(c) Dolly Sargent.
(d) Caleb Sargent.
6. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(d) Le Havre.
7. What does Aunt Hespa bring for Marguerite when she arrives at the Raising?
(a) New stockings.
(b) Fresh herbs.
(c) A doll.
(d) A new dress.
8. To what does Caleb often compare Marguerite to, suggesting his thoughts as to her trustworthiness?
9. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To build tension in the story.
(b) To show off her poetic side.
(c) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(d) To preface the story.
10. How many children do the Stanleys have?
11. Who is Jerusha?
(a) Joel's mother.
(b) A sheep.
(c) Dolly's sister.
(d) A corncob doll.
12. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
(a) Filling the spaces between logs on the new house.
(b) Keeping flies from the food.
(c) Watching over the children.
(d) Cooking the wildfowl.
13. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Second person.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Third person omniscient.
14. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
(a) A good servant in Marguerite.
(b) Good neighbors willing to work.
(c) Good weather for the Raising.
(d) The health of her children.
15. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
(a) Ethan Jordan broke his leg.
(b) Ira Sargent suffered a snake bite.
(c) Timothy Welles injured his hand.
(d) Abby Welles had a fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
2. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
3. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
4. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
5. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)