|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
2. What chore does Caleb allow Marguerite to do that she often finds wearisome, though she refuses to tell Caleb, in Part 2?
(a) Drying fish.
(b) Scraping animal hides.
(c) Corn grinding.
(d) Potato digging.
3. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cat.
(c) A tiger cub.
(d) A bird.
4. What is a loom?
(a) A device that dyes raw wool.
(b) A device that makes thread from wool.
(c) A device that cleans raw wool.
(d) A device that weaves thread into cloth.
5. In what year does the novel begin?
6. What does Marguerite quickly learn a bound-out girl is not expected to hold?
(a) Opinions of their own.
(d) The children.
7. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(b) Joel Sargent.
(c) Ira Sargent.
(d) Ethan Jordan.
8. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Aunt Hespa.
(b) Abby Welles.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
9. What is the name of the ship the Sargents are sailing on to get to their new farm?
(b) Isadora D.
(c) Isabella B.
10. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
(a) Filling the spaces between logs on the new house.
(b) Watching over the children.
(c) Cooking the wildfowl.
(d) Keeping flies from the food.
11. What is a skiff?
(a) A laundry tool.
(b) A large sailboat.
(c) A small boat.
(d) A surf board.
12. What did the captain say takes you places without waiting for no road?
(a) A river.
(b) The sea.
(c) The wind.
(d) Storm clouds.
13. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
(a) A new dress.
(d) Cotton underclothing.
14. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) The ship is too light.
(b) There are too many storms in the area.
(c) The ship is heavily loaded.
(d) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
15. Who says the young man in Aunt Hespa's song was wrong to leave his lover?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Seth Jordan.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Ira Sargent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Champlain?
2. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
3. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
4. Why does Marguerite decide Indians must not be so bad as they travel through Penobscot Bay?
5. In part 2, what does Aunt Hespa tell Marguerite she is waiting for in order to complete the squares for her Delectable Mountain quilt?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)