|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Aunt Hespa's family from?
2. What business did Marguerite's uncle plan to start in the New World?
(a) A shoe repair shop.
(b) A dance studio.
(c) A music store.
(d) A violin repair shop.
3. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
4. When Marguerite finds the cave in the woods, what about it frightens her?
(a) The closeness.
(b) The bats.
(c) The smell.
(d) The idea of bears.
5. What does Dolly say at the beginning of Part 2 she is grateful for?
(a) Good neighbors willing to work.
(b) Good weather for the Raising.
(c) The health of her children.
(d) A good servant in Marguerite.
6. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(a) Mullein leaves.
(c) Sheep laurel petals.
(d) Bayberry leaves.
7. What is an excuse for festivity as Marguerite guesses in the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Wool gathering.
(b) Barn raising.
(c) A roof raising.
(d) Corn shelling.
8. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Second person.
9. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A cow.
(c) A pig.
(d) A hen.
10. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
(a) Whittling spoons out of wood.
(b) Telling stories of their childhoods.
(c) Building furniture.
(d) Reading the Bible.
11. Who tells Marguerite she did the right thing after her encounter with the bear?
(a) Seth Jordan.
(b) Joel and Dolly Sargent.
(c) Aunt Hespa.
(d) Abby Welles.
12. What does Marguerite quietly admire about the men working on the house at the Raising?
(a) Their ability to do as they please.
(b) Their ability to turn trees into homes.
(c) Their ability to ignore the children.
(d) Their ability to drink freely.
13. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
14. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(b) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(c) Planting rows of corn.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
15. In part 2, Marguerite stumbles on a cave and finds a pile of bones near a cold fire. What else does she find?
(a) A woman's necklace.
(b) A child's shoe buckle.
(c) A child's toy.
(d) A woman's petticoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
2. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
3. What item of clothing does Aunt Hespa give to Marguerite at the end of part 2?
4. What does Marguerite wear on a cord around her neck?
5. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)