Short Essay Questions
1. Of what nationality is Marguerite Ledoux? Why do the Sargents call her Maggie?
2. What happens to Marguerite's uncle as they approach the shores of America? What does Marguerite find most devastating about this?
3. What is Marguerite's understanding of her indentured servitude to the Sargents? How long is it to last?
4. What reasons do the men give for stopping in Falmouth before the storm hits their ship?
5. What story does Ira tell the children their first night on the ship?
6. What does Marguerite do when she wakes in the night and realizes a storm has taken control of the ship?
7. Why are the captain and Joel Sargent surprised to find Caleb and Marguerite still on board the ship after the storm? What does Joel say about Marguerite?
8. When the ship drops anchor at Falmouth, why do they decide to drop anchor outside of town?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)