|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Spring.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore are the children asked to work in order to prepare the soil for planting?
(a) Removal of roots and small stones.
(d) Pulling stumps.
2. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(a) Mullein leaves.
(c) Bayberry leaves.
(d) Sheep laurel petals.
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To preface the story.
(b) To build tension in the story.
(c) To show off her poetic side.
(d) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
4. Why did Marguerite not attend Debby's burial?
(a) The Sargents would not allow it.
(b) Her feet were too swollen from the cold.
(c) She refused to accept the child's death.
(d) She had a cold.
5. Who built the casket for Debby's body?
(a) Ira Sargent.
(b) Ethan Jordan.
(c) Seth Jordan.
(d) Joel Sargent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob declare the sugar maple sap tastes like?
2. What would Marguerite have learned to do at the convent if she had remained another year?
3. In part 3, who expresses fear for Pumpkin the dog when the party at the Jordans' notice the smoke on Sargent's Point?
4. What food remains the staple of the Sargents' diet during the long, harsh winter?
5. What unpleasant side effect does a storm have on the occupants of the Sargent home in part 3?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)