|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Fall.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Seth Jordan?
(a) The governor of the village where the Sargents are settling.
(b) One of the Sargents' new neighbors.
(c) The previous owner of the Sargents' farm.
(d) Marguerite's cousin.
2. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
(a) Timothy Welles injured his hand.
(b) Ethan Jordan broke his leg.
(c) Abby Welles had a fever.
(d) Ira Sargent suffered a snake bite.
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(b) To build tension in the story.
(c) To preface the story.
(d) To show off her poetic side.
4. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
(b) A French term for homeland.
(c) An Indian term for holy land.
(d) A French term for cemetery.
5. Who are the Morses?
(a) Marguerite's family.
(b) The local magistrate.
(c) Neighbors of the Sargents.
(d) Cousins to the Jordans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
2. What is Marguerite untangling as the novel begins?
3. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
4. In part 2, what do the men spend most of their evenings doing?
5. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)