|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Fall.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On Marguerite's lap.
(b) On the ship's deck.
(c) On the ship's rail.
(d) On a keg.
2. What special addition did Dolly make to Marguerite and the twins' dress the morning of the Raising?
(a) Blue yarn in their hair.
(b) New shoes.
(c) New dresses.
(d) Green ribbons for their hair.
3. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) The ship is heavily loaded.
(b) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(c) There are too many storms in the area.
(d) The ship is too light.
4. In part 2, why does Joel Sargent forbid Marguerite from telling the neighbors about the items she found in the cave?
(a) To keep from being forced from their land.
(b) To keep from spreading fear or bringing retribution on themselves.
(c) To keep from scaring the neighbors into leaving the area.
(d) To keep from inspiring revenge killings.
5. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(b) Le Havre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the things that delayed the sailing of the Isabella B prior to the Raising?
2. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
3. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
4. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
5. At the end of part 2, what does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet on?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)