|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Fall.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the captain give for changing the originally intended course of the ship to the new farm?
(a) There are too many children on board to risk a slower route.
(b) The ship is too light.
(c) There are too many storms in the area.
(d) The ship is heavily loaded.
2. The growth of what plants signal the end of summer for Marguerite?
(a) Milk thistle and blue bonnets.
(b) Goldenrod and red berries.
(c) Goldenrod and blueberries.
(d) Strawberries and beans.
3. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He was murdered by theives.
(b) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(c) He died at sea.
(d) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
4. What do Marguerite and the twins spend the morning of the Raising doing?
(a) Planting rows of corn.
(b) Garnishing puddings and cakes.
(d) Picking feathers from wildfowl.
5. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
(a) The farmhouse.
(b) The large amount of land as compared to only an acre or two in Marblehead.
(c) The ability to grow more food for the family.
(d) The sugar maples on the new land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
2. Who responds to Marguerite with friendliness at the Raising that brings Marguerite pleasure?
3. What is the point of view of the novel?
4. What is still left to be done in the Sargents' house after the Raising is done?
5. At the end of part 2, why does Aunt Hespa have Seth draw a pattern of Marguerite's feet?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)