|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Summer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
(b) Mullein leaves.
(c) Sheep laurel petals.
(d) Bayberry leaves.
2. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(b) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(c) He died at sea.
(d) He was murdered by theives.
3. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
(a) A pig.
(b) A hen.
(c) A cow.
(d) A sheep.
4. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To preface the story.
(b) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(c) To show off her poetic side.
(d) To build tension in the story.
5. Who plays the fiddle during Marguerite's visit at Aunt Hespa's?
(a) Ethan Jordan.
(b) Ira Sargent.
(c) Joel Sargent.
(d) Seth Jordan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the mugs made of that Aunt Hespa serves milk in after Marguerite's ordeal in the channel saving the cows?
2. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
3. Who is Champlain?
4. Who is Jerusha?
5. What is one of the reasons Joel Sargent gives for deciding to sell all he owns to buy this new farm?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)