|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Summer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a skiff?
(a) A small boat.
(b) A surf board.
(c) A large sailboat.
(d) A laundry tool.
2. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
3. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(d) Le Havre.
4. What animal do the children find at Falmouth and decide to adopt?
(a) A bird.
(b) A tiger cub.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
5. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To show off her poetic side.
(b) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(c) To preface the story.
(d) To build tension in the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. What animal does Marguerite think Dolly resembles in her homespun dress and scoop bonnet?
4. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
5. How does Marguerite get a bruise on her forehead?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)