|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Summer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Marguerite is awoken by the storm, what is the first thing she does?
(a) Reaches for her belongings.
(b) Reaches for her rosary.
(c) Reaches for her money.
(d) Reaches for the children.
2. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
3. What is the point of view of the novel?
(a) Third person limited.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) First person.
4. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(d) Le Havre.
5. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On the ship's deck.
(b) On the ship's rail.
(c) On Marguerite's lap.
(d) On a keg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Marguerite out of the water after she rescues the cow and calf?
2. What does Aunt Hespa boil in milk to help cure health complaints?
3. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
4. What is the name of the place where Marguerite and her grandmother end up after they run out of money?
5. In what year does the novel begin?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)