|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Summer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does young Jacob sit while eating his midday meal?
(a) On Marguerite's lap.
(b) On a keg.
(c) On the ship's deck.
(d) On the ship's rail.
2. From what port in France did Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother sail from the year before the opening of the novel?
(a) Le Havre.
3. What is Passageewakeag?
(a) A French term for homeland.
(b) An Indian term for holy land.
(c) An Indian term for place of ghosts or spirits.
(d) A French term for cemetery.
4. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
5. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To show off her poetic side.
(b) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(c) To build tension in the story.
(d) To preface the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
2. To where were Marguerite, her uncle, and her grandmother planning to go when they left France?
3. How much older than Marguerite is Caleb?
4. Why does Marguerite only use French when she is alone?
5. What is a bound-out girl?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)