|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Summer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the author begun her book with the poem Maypole Point?
(a) To show off her poetic side.
(b) To build tension in the story.
(c) To foreshadow the death of Marguerite.
(d) To preface the story.
2. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
3. What do the children eat with their bread that makes Dolly worry about their cleanliness?
(b) Dried fruit.
4. In Aunt Hespa's song, what happens to the young woman's lover?
(a) He died at sea.
(b) He froze to death working in the fields of his farm.
(c) He froze to death while traveling to get his bride a nice wedding dress.
(d) He was murdered by theives.
5. What does Caleb Sargent often call Marguerite in the beginning of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Passageewakeag?
2. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
3. In what year does the novel begin?
4. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
5. How many children do the Sargents have?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)