|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Spring.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does grit mean as used in Part 1 of this novel?
2. What does Joel do while in the throes of a fever in part 4?
(a) Scream out orders to Ira and Caleb.
(b) Firght Indians.
(c) Cry out for Debby.
(d) Moan in agony.
3. What does Marguerite say over the grave when she first visits Debby's grave?
(a) An English lullaby.
(b) A French lullaby.
(c) An English prayer.
(d) A French prayer.
4. What things does Hannah Welles criticize Ira Sargent for in part 4?
(a) His inability to provide a home and shelter to her daughter.
(b) His dependence on his brother and settling on land known to have been raided by Indians.
(c) His dependence on his brother and his lack of a work ethic.
(d) His lack of income and his desire to return to Portsmouth.
5. Why is one of the ears of corn red?
(a) It is a sign that the person who finds it will marry soon.
(b) It hides money in its silk.
(c) It is a game. The winner gets out of work for the day.
(d) It is a traditional object of good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Seth Jordan bring the Welles that Hannah demands more details about?
2. How do the twins explain to Marguerite the crickets make their noises?
3. What does Dolly Sargent use to nurse her baby on the ship?
4. What job is Marguerite immediately given as the Raising starts?
5. What skill was Marguerite taught by the Sisters in a convent in France?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)