|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William know that Roy and Amy do not?
(a) Ted had a son from an affair before Rosie who is alive.
(b) Rosie is still alive.
(c) Both Rosie and Kemp are still alive.
(d) Ted had a daughter from an affair before Rosie who is alive.
2. What do Roy and Amy deplore?
(a) That Ted had not met Amy sooner.
(b) That Ted treated Rosie so poorly.
(c) How common Rosie must have been.
(d) That William's letters are all about Rosie.
3. Who visits Ted and Amy's house while William is there?
(a) Two Americans.
(b) Two Germans.
(c) A Russian.
(d) Two Italians.
4. What does William learn from Newton one day?
(a) That Rosie is dead.
(b) That Ted is dying.
(c) That Rosie has left Ted for Kemp.
(d) That Ted has a mistress.
5. Who is Lionel Hillier?
(a) A flamboyant painter.
(b) A poet.
(c) A sculptor.
(d) A dramatist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who greets William as he walks down High Street?
2. Who calls Rosie a nymphomaniac?
3. What is the Bear and Key where William stays like?
4. What is Amy sure that Ted did not know?
5. Why is William bitter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how William encounters Rosie in New York?
2. How do Rosie and William begin a romantic involvement?
3. Describe Isabel's work on Ted's behalf.
4. What novel does Ted publish which is a ruthlessly unsentimental tale dealing with a child's death, and what is the public's response to the novel?
5. How does William re-connect with the Driffields?
6. When William visits her in Yonkers, what does Rosie reveal about her marriage to Ted and a child they had?
7. Describe the scene where William is talking to Hillier about painting Rosie.
8. What does Rosie do at night while Ted writes?
9. Describe the situation that keeps Rosie occupied for a couple weeks and which infuriates William.
10. Describe Rosie's home and Rose herself.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)