|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William do all day while living at Vincent Square?
(a) Work at the hospital.
(b) Lecture to students.
2. What does Rosie do after William weeps at his home?
(a) Undresses and makes love with him.
(b) Crys also.
(c) Tells him he is silly.
(d) Comforts him like a mother.
3. Where does William meet Rosie one day?
(a) In a small book store along the Thames.
(b) Outside the gentleman's club.
(c) At Vauxhall Bridge Road.
(d) At a tea party.
4. What does William discover that surprises him?
(a) That Ted is the author of 20 books and on the brink of discovery.
(b) That Rosie if pregnant.
(c) That Roy is the same age as William and has already published several books.
(d) That Ted and Rosie are not actually married legally.
5. What is the reaction to the book he publishes?
6. What do Roy and Amy deplore?
(a) That Ted treated Rosie so poorly.
(b) How common Rosie must have been.
(c) That Ted had not met Amy sooner.
(d) That William's letters are all about Rosie.
7. What does Isabel say Rosie looks like in the painting of her?
(a) A sacrificial heifer.
(b) A river sprite.
(c) Eve in the garden.
(d) A vengeful goddess.
8. What does William look forward to writing?
(a) Political essays.
(c) Nothing; he is tired of writing.
(d) Books and plays.
9. What makes William weak in the knees?
(a) Rosie kissing him on the cheek.
(b) Seeing a new guest at the party who is beautiful.
(c) Nothing; he has learned to control his emotions now.
(d) Seeing Rosie assume a pose by a canvas of a painting of her.
10. Who calls Rosie a nymphomaniac?
11. With what motif is William's old room decorated?
(c) No particular motif.
12. What does William sense about Ted's affect?
(a) He is becoming surly.
(b) He is growing aloof.
(c) He is in love.
(d) He is unhappy.
13. Why does Hillier seems suspicious at the Saturday afternoon parties?
(a) Because Rosie and William laugh at nothing.
(b) No particular reason.
(c) Because Rosie and William call each other pet names.
(d) Because Rosie and William exchange secret looks.
14. What habit does William get into doing?
(a) Writing on his book one hour a day.
(b) Walking with Rosie in the neighborhood.
(c) Reading only one hour a night instead of four.
(d) Attending the Driffields' parties.
15. Who visits Ted and Amy's house while William is there?
(a) Two Italians.
(b) Two Americans.
(c) A Russian.
(d) Two Germans.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of neighborhood do the Driffields reside?
2. What is Quentin Forde most interested in at the Driffields' parties?
3. What does Ted publish?
4. What does William thinks brings its own hazards?
5. What happens between Ted and his nurse?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)