|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Admiral Halsey commits to an air strike in support of what?
2. Which yeoman reports that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
3. To what does Bird compare Queeg's ball rolling?
4. Who is convinced that a duplicate key has been made, and that is how the crime took place?
5. What can become useless in a typhoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is widely used in Chapters 7 and 8. Discuss some of the ways that the author conveys how lowly the ship is in the grand scheme of the Navy. How does he explain to the reader the condition of the ship and crew? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 13 and 14, life on the Caine gets much worse under the command of Captain Queeg. Using examples from the novel, describe how and why the men of the Caine are suffering at the hands of Queeg. What recourse do they have? What are the different ways in which they deal with his personality and choices?
Essay Topic 3
Willie and May's relationship is quite complicated. What are some of the many complex facets to their relationship? Why does Willie think he can't marry her? Why does he have such a hard time making up his mind about what to do? Use examples from the book to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)