|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what article does Maryk relieve Queeg?
2. Maryk testifies that he had the authority to relieve Captain Queeg according to which three articles?
3. What recurring dream does Willie remember from his childhood?
4. How does Willie feel when he reads that he's being recommended for a court martial?
5. What does Barney get Dr. Lundeen to admit is the problem with Queeg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ice cream plays a prominent role on the Caine in Chapters 19-21. Why do you think that is? What symbolic significance might it have? Why didn't the author choose some other kind of food?
Essay Topic 2
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
Willie has felt an outside societal pressure about who he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do since the beginning of the book. Discuss the ways that society forms and shapes who we are, our expectations for ourselves, and who we ultimately become as individuals. Use examples from the book to further explore Willie's character and why he makes the choices he makes.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)