|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is May doing when Willie gets back to New York?
2. Who is captain of the Caine when the Kamikaze hits?
3. In Chapter 26, whose old roommate secures a special treat for the men of the Caine?
4. What is the sailor in the Flag Lieutenant's office doing when they arrive?
5. What goes missing in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is widely used in Chapters 7 and 8. Discuss some of the ways that the author conveys how lowly the ship is in the grand scheme of the Navy. How does he explain to the reader the condition of the ship and crew? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
Essay Topic 3
The main character of "The Caine Mutiny", Willie Keith, undergoes great personal transformation in the novel. Trace his growth through the novel and how he changed as a person.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)