|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie doing when he hears the news of Japan's surrender?
2. What was the result of Queeg's action in the Barzun incident?
3. In what did Queeg acknowledge that Maryk was an excellent sailor?
4. What reason does Willie give for Stilwell's mental collapse?
5. To what does Bird compare Queeg's ball rolling?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 5 and 6, Willie continues to have trouble because of his loyalty to the people he loves. Discuss how the complicated nature of these relationships distracts Willie, keeps him from focusing on what he should, and makes it difficult for him to make good choices.
Essay Topic 2
Queeg seems to wait for orders before he acts while his crew seems to have difficulty doing that. Discuss the pros and cons of each approach using support from the book and the general knowledge of the military that has been conveyed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Trouble seems to follow Willie Keith wherever he goes. What does he do to get himself in trouble, or is it just bad luck and timing? How is this character established by the author in the first chapters?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)