Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie doing when he hears the news of Japan's surrender?
2. What was the result of Queeg's action in the Barzun incident?
3. In what did Queeg acknowledge that Maryk was an excellent sailor?
4. What reason does Willie give for Stilwell's mental collapse?
5. To what does Bird compare Queeg's ball rolling?
Essay Topic 1
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
Essay Topic 2
Queeg seems to wait for orders before he acts while his crew seems to have difficulty doing that. Discuss the pros and cons of each approach using support from the book and the general knowledge of the military that has been conveyed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The author writes that "The Kwajalein invasion... was a grand classic of sea warfare, a lesson for the generations. There has never been a more wisely conceived and surgically executed operation. As a young man's first taste of war, however, it was too rich, too easy, too fancy, too perfect." Why do you think the author described the invasion that way? What effect will this invasion have on Willie? Will it mislead him or give him the wrong idea?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)