|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maryk know that Admiral Halsey is anchored near the Caine?
2. Who is Captain Randolph P. Southard?
3. How does Willie feel when he reads that he's being recommended for a court martial?
4. Who does Willie hear is running a supply depot in Stuber Forks, Iowa?
5. According to Willie's testimony, how did he know Queeg was terrified during the typhoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While there is a war going on, the men of the Caine are caught up in their own conflict. Discuss how the smallness of their perspective seems to develop and how they lose sight of the bigger picture. How do you think men on other ships deal with the monotony of life at sea?
Essay Topic 2
The main character of "The Caine Mutiny", Willie Keith, undergoes great personal transformation in the novel. Trace his growth through the novel and how he changed as a person.
Essay Topic 3
The author writes that "The Kwajalein invasion... was a grand classic of sea warfare, a lesson for the generations. There has never been a more wisely conceived and surgically executed operation. As a young man's first taste of war, however, it was too rich, too easy, too fancy, too perfect." Why do you think the author described the invasion that way? What effect will this invasion have on Willie? Will it mislead him or give him the wrong idea?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)