|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who aboard the Caine adopts a huge crab?
2. May Wynn auditions by singing a song by which composer?
3. At dinner, May wants to discuss a book that Willie has never read before? Which book?
4. Keefer invites Maryk to a literary tea at what university?
5. After a particularly cowardly performance by Queeg, Keefer calls him a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
2. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
3. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
4. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
5. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
6. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
7. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
8. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
9. What is Willie's role in Stilwell's court martial?
10. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
Essay Topic 1
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
Essay Topic 2
Setting often plays an important role in literature. How does the setting of this book affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Trouble seems to follow Willie Keith wherever he goes. What does he do to get himself in trouble, or is it just bad luck and timing? How is this character established by the author in the first chapters?
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)