Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who aboard the Caine adopts a huge crab?
2. May Wynn auditions by singing a song by which composer?
3. At dinner, May wants to discuss a book that Willie has never read before? Which book?
4. Keefer invites Maryk to a literary tea at what university?
5. After a particularly cowardly performance by Queeg, Keefer calls him a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
2. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
3. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
4. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
5. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
6. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
7. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
8. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
9. What is Willie's role in Stilwell's court martial?
10. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
Essay Topic 1
Trouble seems to follow Willie Keith wherever he goes. What does he do to get himself in trouble, or is it just bad luck and timing? How is this character established by the author in the first chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is widely used in Chapters 7 and 8. Discuss some of the ways that the author conveys how lowly the ship is in the grand scheme of the Navy. How does he explain to the reader the condition of the ship and crew? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)