|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Keefer labels Queeg as a what?
2. When Maryk comes to Keefer to talk about Queeg, what is Keefer reading?
3. Who does Queeg catch taking a shower?
4. What is Willie's first choice for duty?
5. What is the name of the ship that one of the men from the Caine is being transferred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Willie get in trouble in Chapter 12?
2. What does Willie find in the mail at Pearl?
3. Why does Willie decide to open his father's letter earlier than promised?
4. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
5. What are some of the quirky ways in which the crew begins to respond to their own boredom?
6. What is Keefer's testimony like?
7. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
8. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
9. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
10. According to Ensign Brain, why is it important for Willie to be on time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 2
Ice cream plays a prominent role on the Caine in Chapters 19-21. Why do you think that is? What symbolic significance might it have? Why didn't the author choose some other kind of food?
Essay Topic 3
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)