|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many demerits does Willie receive for being late at the end of Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 16, Willie surprises himself by speaking highly of whom?
3. In Chapter 21, where does the Caine receive orders to go?
4. Who is Willie's new roommate in Chapter 18?
5. Queeg insists the men will not dehydrate because they will get enough water from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the trial, what excuse does Queeg give for the towline incident?
2. Describe the circle of compliance.
3. What happens during Willie's first watch?
4. What does Willie write in the love letter for which Chapter 39 is named?
5. How does Breakstone feel about the case?
6. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
7. What does Barney talk about during his toast at the celebration dinner?
8. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
9. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
10. Why does Queeg reprimand Willie about the typhoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, Willie seems to think that Queeg is going to be a great change from Captain de Vriess. Why does he think that? At what point do you think Willie begins to realize his first impression may not have been accurate? Why does he grow to hate Queeg? At what point does he realize he has more respect for de Vriess than Queeg? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)