|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Queeg panics in the fog, how many times does he circle the bridge?
2. What is "Chadan"?
3. What happens to Queeg's illegal liquor stash?
4. What is the name of the luxurious destroyer that the Caine is secured to?
5. Captain Queeg goes home to what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tom Keefer explains his philosophy of the Navy to Willie. What is it?
2. How does Queeg call attention away from his cowardly behavior at the end of Chapter 20?
3. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
4. Why does Queeg refuse to ballast?
5. Why does Willie decide to open his father's letter earlier than promised?
6. What happens while Willie is distracted and watching Maryk swim out to recover the float?
7. What makes the members of the board change facial expression during the trial?
8. What happens to Horrible?
9. How does Dr. Lundeen explain Queeg's personality and behavior?
10. What does Queeg do to insure that the men do not pass keys to friends on the Harte?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting often plays an important role in literature. How does the setting of this book affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
Willie and May's relationship is quite complicated. What are some of the many complex facets to their relationship? Why does Willie think he can't marry her? Why does he have such a hard time making up his mind about what to do? Use examples from the book to support your reasoning.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)