|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Willie attend college?
2. Who comes to Willie in Chapter 15 asking if his six months restriction to the ship counts in San Francisco?
3. Who receives orders transferring them off the Caine?
4. How many transfer requests has Tom Keefer submitted by Chapter 25?
5. When Maryk asks Keefer to go with him to see the medical officer of the Pluto, how does Keefer respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
2. How does Dr. Lundeen explain Queeg's personality and behavior?
3. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
4. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
5. What does Willie find in the mail at Pearl?
6. Describe the circle of compliance.
7. What makes the members of the board change facial expression during the trial?
8. What does Willie write in the love letter for which Chapter 39 is named?
9. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
10. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willie has felt an outside societal pressure about who he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do since the beginning of the book. Discuss the ways that society forms and shapes who we are, our expectations for ourselves, and who we ultimately become as individuals. Use examples from the book to further explore Willie's character and why he makes the choices he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
Essay Topic 3
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)