|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 23, Maryk is in his bunk reading what book?
2. What was the Caine supposed to escort on its mission?
3. What does Keith have to do to retrieve his gun's spring?
4. Which of the new officers aboard the Caine is only in the Navy because his mother owns a Boston shipyard?
5. Queeg insists the men will not dehydrate because they will get enough water from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Breakstone feel about the case?
2. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
3. How does Queeg call attention away from his cowardly behavior at the end of Chapter 20?
4. What is Keefer's testimony like?
5. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
6. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
7. Why does Queeg reprimand Willie about the typhoon?
8. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
9. What happens to Horrible?
10. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
Essay Topic 2Through Tom Keefer's literary allusions in Chapter 9 and Willie's visit to the Moulton in Chapter 10, we begin to see Willie struggle with appearances versus reality. Why does Willie struggle with the fact that things are not always what they seem? How do you think growing up privileged has influenced the way he makes judgments? Do his first impressions get him into trouble? By the end of the novel, has his perspective changed? What leads to the change?
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast the differences and similarities between Maryk and Queeg. How will these similarities and differences continue to affect the novel? Use examples from the book to support your theory.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)