|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 21, where does the Caine receive orders to go?
2. What does Keith have to do to retrieve his gun's spring?
3. What does the Navy find during Willie's physical?
4. We find out in Chapter 11 that Captain de Vriess reads only what type of book?
5. What is Willie's first choice for duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
2. What are the two bottles of champagne referenced in the title of Chapter 17?
3. Why does Willie not wake up at the beginning of the typhoon?
4. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
5. What is Keefer's testimony like?
6. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
7. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
8. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
9. What does Barney talk about during his toast at the celebration dinner?
10. Describe the circle of compliance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is widely used in Chapters 7 and 8. Discuss some of the ways that the author conveys how lowly the ship is in the grand scheme of the Navy. How does he explain to the reader the condition of the ship and crew? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Queeg seems to wait for orders before he acts while his crew seems to have difficulty doing that. Discuss the pros and cons of each approach using support from the book and the general knowledge of the military that has been conveyed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 5 and 6, Willie continues to have trouble because of his loyalty to the people he loves. Discuss how the complicated nature of these relationships distracts Willie, keeps him from focusing on what he should, and makes it difficult for him to make good choices.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)