|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keith have to do to retrieve his gun's spring?
2. What does Harding vomit into?
3. Of the 112 publications carried aboard the Caine, how many do they use?
4. How long does the launching on the Caine take?
5. At the end of Chapter 23, Maryk is in his bunk reading what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the members of the board change facial expression during the trial?
2. What reason does Willie give May for introducing her by her real name to his mother?
3. How does the New Jersey compare to the Caine?
4. What happens toward the end of Queeg's testimony?
5. How does Breakstone feel about the case?
6. Why does Commander Merton give Willie another chance after the disaster on the parade grounds?
7. What happens while Willie is distracted and watching Maryk swim out to recover the float?
8. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
9. What are some of the quirky ways in which the crew begins to respond to their own boredom?
10. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willie has felt an outside societal pressure about who he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do since the beginning of the book. Discuss the ways that society forms and shapes who we are, our expectations for ourselves, and who we ultimately become as individuals. Use examples from the book to further explore Willie's character and why he makes the choices he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Setting often plays an important role in literature. How does the setting of this book affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)