|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roland Keefer die?
2. Willie's father dies from what?
3. How much money does Mrs. Keith give the chief?
4. What type of place is Willie's family home?
5. How many midshipmen gather for the review of the troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Lundeen explain Queeg's personality and behavior?
2. Why does Commander Merton give Willie another chance after the disaster on the parade grounds?
3. What happens during Willie's first watch?
4. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
5. What makes the members of the board change facial expression during the trial?
6. What does Willie do after his dinner with Uncle Lloyd?
7. Describe what happens when the Kamikaze plane hits the Caine.
8. Why does Queeg refuse to ballast?
9. What does Willie tell Maryk when Stilwell asks for emergency leave after receiving a telegram that his mother is sick?
10. Why does Willie not wake up at the beginning of the typhoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ice cream plays a prominent role on the Caine in Chapters 19-21. Why do you think that is? What symbolic significance might it have? Why didn't the author choose some other kind of food?
Essay Topic 2
While there is a war going on, the men of the Caine are caught up in their own conflict. Discuss how the smallness of their perspective seems to develop and how they lose sight of the bigger picture. How do you think men on other ships deal with the monotony of life at sea?
Essay Topic 3
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)