|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Willie starts obsessing about what one night during watch in Chapter 24?
2. How many transfer requests has Tom Keefer submitted by Chapter 25?
3. When Queeg and Keefer have a private meeting, where does it take place?
4. Who aboard the Caine adopts a huge crab?
5. What is the name of the luxurious destroyer that the Caine is secured to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
2. What does Willie tell Maryk when Stilwell asks for emergency leave after receiving a telegram that his mother is sick?
3. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
4. Describe what happens when the Kamikaze plane hits the Caine.
5. Tom Keefer explains his philosophy of the Navy to Willie. What is it?
6. Why does Willie decide to open his father's letter earlier than promised?
7. Describe the circle of compliance.
8. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
9. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
10. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through Tom Keefer's literary allusions in Chapter 9 and Willie's visit to the Moulton in Chapter 10, we begin to see Willie struggle with appearances versus reality. Why does Willie struggle with the fact that things are not always what they seem? How do you think growing up privileged has influenced the way he makes judgments? Do his first impressions get him into trouble? By the end of the novel, has his perspective changed? What leads to the change?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning, Willie seems to think that Queeg is going to be a great change from Captain de Vriess. Why does he think that? At what point do you think Willie begins to realize his first impression may not have been accurate? Why does he grow to hate Queeg? At what point does he realize he has more respect for de Vriess than Queeg? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Trouble seems to follow Willie Keith wherever he goes. What does he do to get himself in trouble, or is it just bad luck and timing? How is this character established by the author in the first chapters?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)