|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Willie arrives at Pearl Harbor navy base what does he find?
2. Which game do Willie and Keggs play aboard the Moulton?
3. What is Willie's first choice for duty?
4. Only two people knew the Caine's mission. Who were they?
5. In Chapter 24, Queeg set his sights on a sailor other than Stilwell. Who is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Horrible?
2. What is Keefer's testimony like?
3. What are some of the quirky ways in which the crew begins to respond to their own boredom?
4. What is Willie's first impression of the USS Caine?
5. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
6. What reason does Willie give May for introducing her by her real name to his mother?
7. Why does Queeg insist on staying on course?
8. List some of the irrational and terrible things that Queeg does in Chapter 15.
9. Why does Commander Merton give Willie another chance after the disaster on the parade grounds?
10. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 13 and 14, life on the Caine gets much worse under the command of Captain Queeg. Using examples from the novel, describe how and why the men of the Caine are suffering at the hands of Queeg. What recourse do they have? What are the different ways in which they deal with his personality and choices?
Essay Topic 2
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
Essay Topic 3
The main character of "The Caine Mutiny", Willie Keith, undergoes great personal transformation in the novel. Trace his growth through the novel and how he changed as a person.
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)