|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Queeg stays in his cabin only eating what?
2. What was the Caine supposed to escort on its mission?
3. When Queeg returns to the ship after getting in trouble at ComServPac, what does he find Stilwell doing?
4. What officer visits the Caine in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 24, the meeting Queeg holds with all the officers lasts how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the crew's first impression of Captain Queeg?
2. At the very end of Chapter 21, Paynter brings what sort of report to Queeg?
3. What is Captain White like?
4. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
5. How does Queeg determine that the strawberries are missing?
6. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
7. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
8. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
9. What does Barney talk about during his toast at the celebration dinner?
10. How does Breakstone feel about the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 25, a new side of Roland Keefer is revealed. Compare and contrast the two Keefers using support from the book.
Essay Topic 2
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 13 and 14, life on the Caine gets much worse under the command of Captain Queeg. Using examples from the novel, describe how and why the men of the Caine are suffering at the hands of Queeg. What recourse do they have? What are the different ways in which they deal with his personality and choices?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)