|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Willie is assigned a bunk in the clip shack, a metal box on the main deck. How hot is it in the clip shack?
2. Keefer labels Queeg as a what?
3. What is Willie's first choice for duty?
4. What is Willie's first assignment for his officers' qualification course?
5. What does Keith have to do to retrieve his gun's spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two bottles of champagne referenced in the title of Chapter 17?
2. What does Willie find in the mail at Pearl?
3. What does Queeg do to insure that the men do not pass keys to friends on the Harte?
4. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
5. What happened to Roland Keefer's ship?
6. What explanation does Queeg give his superiors for losing the target?
7. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
8. At the very end of Chapter 21, Paynter brings what sort of report to Queeg?
9. What does Dr. Bird do to upset the board during his testimony?
10. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willie has felt an outside societal pressure about who he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do since the beginning of the book. Discuss the ways that society forms and shapes who we are, our expectations for ourselves, and who we ultimately become as individuals. Use examples from the book to further explore Willie's character and why he makes the choices he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Queeg seems to wait for orders before he acts while his crew seems to have difficulty doing that. Discuss the pros and cons of each approach using support from the book and the general knowledge of the military that has been conveyed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)