|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Queeg insists the men will not dehydrate because they will get enough water from what?
2. What does Willie do to punish himself for not recognizing his ship when he first sees her?
3. What type of sandwich does Willie indulge in while tied to the destroyer?
4. When the Caine is finally ready to go out in open waters with its new captain, what book does Captain Queeg bring with him to the bridge?
5. What does the Caine lose on its very first target towing duty trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
2. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
3. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
4. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
5. Why does Queeg insist on staying on course?
6. According to Ensign Brain, why is it important for Willie to be on time?
7. What happens to Horrible?
8. Why does Willie not take his relationship with May Wynn seriously?
9. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
10. What happens toward the end of Queeg's testimony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willie has felt an outside societal pressure about who he is supposed to be and what he is supposed to do since the beginning of the book. Discuss the ways that society forms and shapes who we are, our expectations for ourselves, and who we ultimately become as individuals. Use examples from the book to further explore Willie's character and why he makes the choices he makes.
Essay Topic 2
Setting often plays an important role in literature. How does the setting of this book affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 25, a new side of Roland Keefer is revealed. Compare and contrast the two Keefers using support from the book.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)