|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Tom Keefer's book?
2. Who receives orders transferring them off the Caine?
3. Maryk grew up where?
4. How many midshipmen gather for the review of the troops?
5. What is the location of Ulithi Atoll where the Caine is sent in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Keefer think it's a bad idea to talk to Admiral Halsey?
2. Why does Willie not take his relationship with May Wynn seriously?
3. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
4. Why won't Queeg let Keefer leave the Caine to go visit his brother?
5. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
6. How does Queeg determine that the strawberries are missing?
7. What explanation does Queeg give his superiors for losing the target?
8. What is the crew's first impression of Captain Queeg?
9. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
10. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
Essay Topic 2
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
Setting often plays an important role in literature. How does the setting of this book affect the story?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)