|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the location of Ulithi Atoll where the Caine is sent in Chapter 25?
2. While on shore leave in San Francisco, where does Willie take May?
3. In Chapter 19, the Caine is sent to help capture what island?
4. What is the name of the ship that one of the men from the Caine is being transferred to?
5. At the end of Chapter 23, Maryk is in his bunk reading what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the irrational and terrible things that Queeg does in Chapter 15.
2. What does Willie tell Maryk when Stilwell asks for emergency leave after receiving a telegram that his mother is sick?
3. What happened to Roland Keefer's ship?
4. What does Dr. Bird do to upset the board during his testimony?
5. Why does Queeg insist on staying on course?
6. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
7. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
8. Why does Willie not take his relationship with May Wynn seriously?
9. How were the two attorneys different during closing arguments?
10. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through Tom Keefer's literary allusions in Chapter 9 and Willie's visit to the Moulton in Chapter 10, we begin to see Willie struggle with appearances versus reality. Why does Willie struggle with the fact that things are not always what they seem? How do you think growing up privileged has influenced the way he makes judgments? Do his first impressions get him into trouble? By the end of the novel, has his perspective changed? What leads to the change?
Essay Topic 2
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 25, a new side of Roland Keefer is revealed. Compare and contrast the two Keefers using support from the book.
This section contains 1,751 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)