|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives orders transferring them off the Caine?
2. When Willie arrives at Pearl Harbor navy base what does he find?
3. How does Roland Keefer die?
4. Captain de Vriess tells Captain Queeg that he is next hoping for what type of duty?
5. What two personal items does Willie have when he unpacks in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Queeg give his superiors for losing the target?
2. What happens after Queeg receives the verdict for Stilwell's court martial?
3. How were the two attorneys different during closing arguments?
4. What happens toward the end of Queeg's testimony?
5. What does Queeg do to insure that the men do not pass keys to friends on the Harte?
6. Describe what happens when the Kamikaze plane hits the Caine.
7. What are some of the quirky ways in which the crew begins to respond to their own boredom?
8. Why does Willie not wake up at the beginning of the typhoon?
9. What happened to Roland Keefer's ship?
10. What is Willie's role in Stilwell's court martial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is widely used in Chapters 7 and 8. Discuss some of the ways that the author conveys how lowly the ship is in the grand scheme of the Navy. How does he explain to the reader the condition of the ship and crew? Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, Willie seems to think that Queeg is going to be a great change from Captain de Vriess. Why does he think that? At what point do you think Willie begins to realize his first impression may not have been accurate? Why does he grow to hate Queeg? At what point does he realize he has more respect for de Vriess than Queeg? Use examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)