Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who aboard the Caine adopts a huge crab?
2. May Wynn auditions by singing a song by which composer?
3. At dinner, May wants to discuss a book that Willie has never read before? Which book?
4. Keefer invites Maryk to a literary tea at what university?
5. After a particularly cowardly performance by Queeg, Keefer calls him a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is May doing when Willie gets back from the war?
2. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
3. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
4. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
5. What does Willie overhear while listening in to the Marine channel on the radio?
6. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
7. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
8. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
9. What is Willie's role in Stilwell's court martial?
10. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
Trouble seems to follow Willie Keith wherever he goes. What does he do to get himself in trouble, or is it just bad luck and timing? How is this character established by the author in the first chapters?
In Chapters 5 and 6, Willie continues to have trouble because of his loyalty to the people he loves. Discuss how the complicated nature of these relationships distracts Willie, keeps him from focusing on what he should, and makes it difficult for him to make good choices.
The captain of a ship is supposed to be a leader. In light of the shift from how the men performed under De Vriess and how things are going under Queeg, discuss how Queeg's character affects the rest of the men on the Caine. What kind of leader is Queeg?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)