|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Willie's first assignment for his officers' qualification course?
2. What does the crew of the Caine do while the Marines are invading Namur?
3. What does the Navy find during Willie's physical?
4. What is "Chadan"?
5. Whom does Willie send a message to using Morse code?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Willie is distracted and watching Maryk swim out to recover the float?
2. What happens when the news of Japan's surrender is heard?
3. What is Captain White like?
4. Why does Queeg reprimand Willie about the typhoon?
5. Challee asks Willie for specific examples of Queeg's odd behavior. Name some.
6. Why does Willie get in trouble in Chapter 12?
7. What reason does Willie give May for introducing her by her real name to his mother?
8. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
9. Tom Keefer explains his philosophy of the Navy to Willie. What is it?
10. What happens between Willie and Queeg in Saipan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
Essay Topic 2
During the court martial, we see different sides of the same story. How do the varying shades of perspective and the fact that some people lie affect the court martial proceedings?
Essay Topic 3
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)