|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. We find out in Chapter 11 that Captain de Vriess reads only what type of book?
2. How long does Willie eavesdrop on the Marines over the short-wave radio?
3. How many hours into the water restriction does Maryk ask Queeg to lift the suspension?
4. Where did Willie attend college?
5. Instead of Queeg, who gets reassigned from the Caine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Captain White like?
2. During the trial, what excuse does Queeg give for the towline incident?
3. Why won't Queeg let Keefer leave the Caine to go visit his brother?
4. What reason does Keefer give to explain Queeg's obsession with the strawberries?
5. How does Queeg react after Jellybelly tells him that the mess boys ate the strawberries?
6. What happens during Willie's first watch?
7. Tom Keefer explains his philosophy of the Navy to Willie. What is it?
8. Why does the towline for the Caine end up getting cut?
9. At the very end of Chapter 21, Paynter brings what sort of report to Queeg?
10. What does Willie do after his dinner with Uncle Lloyd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Queeg seems to wait for orders before he acts while his crew seems to have difficulty doing that. Discuss the pros and cons of each approach using support from the book and the general knowledge of the military that has been conveyed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
During the trial, Barney Greenwald tries to prove that Captain Queeg is not sane. Using evidence from the trial and the entire book, answer the question: Is Queeg sane or insane?
Essay Topic 3
Drawing from all you've learned from the book so far, discuss why you think the Caine mutiny occurred. What circumstances, mix of personalities and other factors led to this pivotal event?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)