|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the sailors give De Vriess as a send off gift?
(a) A new civilian shirt.
(b) A silver watch.
(c) A bronzed sailor's hat.
(d) A model of the USS Caine.
2. What is the name of Keefer's date?
(a) Tootsie Weaver.
(b) May Wynn.
(c) Rollete Baskinworth.
(d) Lily Loom.
3. What is Willie's first assignment for his officers' qualification course?
(a) To assemble and disassemble his rifle.
(b) To list every man assigned to the ship.
(c) To make two sketches of the Caine.
(d) To write an essay on the history of the ship.
4. Willie is assigned a bunk in the clip shack, a metal box on the main deck. How hot is it in the clip shack?
(a) 75 degrees.
(b) The same as it is on deck.
(c) 105 degrees.
(d) 89 degrees.
5. Which of the new officers aboard the Caine is only in the Navy because his mother owns a Boston shipyard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Willie during the marching for the review?
2. What type of sandwich does Willie indulge in while tied to the destroyer?
3. Willie's father dies from what?
4. In Chapter 24, the meeting Queeg holds with all the officers lasts how long?
5. What does Keith have to do to retrieve his gun's spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene the day after Queeg restricts everyone's water use.
2. Why does Queeg refuse to ballast?
3. What are the two bottles of champagne referenced in the title of Chapter 17?
4. How does the New Jersey compare to the Caine?
5. Why does Queeg insist on staying on course?
6. When and where does Greenwald first meet Maryk?
7. Describe what happens when the Kamikaze plane hits the Caine.
8. What happens to Horrible?
9. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
10. Why does Willie decide to open his father's letter earlier than promised?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)