|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 24, Queeg set his sights on a sailor other than Stilwell. Who is it?
2. What is the title of Tom Keefer's book?
(a) "Multitudes, Multitudes."
(b) "Cain is Abel."
(c) "Turn, Turn, Turn."
(d) "Sins of the Fathers."
3. Keefer invites Maryk to a literary tea at what university?
(b) San Francisco State.
(d) UC Davis.
4. What happens to Queeg's illegal liquor stash?
(a) It gets dropped overboard into the bay.
(b) Someone breaks into the stash and steals several bottles.
(c) It's delivered safe and sound in the special crate that Langhorne built.
(d) The sailors drop it, and the bottles break.
5. Captain de Vriess tells Captain Queeg that he is next hoping for what type of duty?
(a) Staff command at Pearl Harbor.
(b) A supply depot in Utah.
(c) DMS school in San Diego.
(d) New construction.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, the meeting Queeg holds with all the officers lasts how long?
2. What two personal items does Willie have when he unpacks in San Francisco?
3. Whom does Willie send a message to using Morse code?
4. In Chapter 24, Queeg restricts what for six months?
5. When the Caine sails out of San Francisco, it is missing how many men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two bottles of champagne referenced in the title of Chapter 17?
2. Why does Keefer think it's a bad idea to talk to Admiral Halsey?
3. What happens while Willie is distracted and watching Maryk swim out to recover the float?
4. What are some of the quirky ways in which the crew begins to respond to their own boredom?
5. What does Queeg do to insure that the men do not pass keys to friends on the Harte?
6. What amenities does the destroyer have that the Caine does not?
7. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
8. During the trial, what excuse does Queeg give for the towline incident?
9. How did the other sailors on the Caine testify?
10. At the very end of Chapter 21, Paynter brings what sort of report to Queeg?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)