|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men does the Caine pull from the wreckage of the George Black?
2. What does Keefer take with him when he jumps off the ship?
(a) His novel.
(b) A life raft.
(c) His initialed coffee mug.
(d) The captain's log.
3. When Queeg freezes up, what does he cling to?
(a) The telegraph stand.
(b) His bunk.
(c) The wheel.
(d) The crow's nest.
4. How many keys does Willie take to the captain after Willie interviews all the men in his department?
5. What is Willie doing when he hears the news of Japan's surrender?
(a) He is reading.
(b) He is eating.
(c) He is meeting with the officers.
(d) He is on the bridge.
6. In Chapter 26, whose old roommate secures a special treat for the men of the Caine?
7. Who is Captain Randolph P. Southard?
(a) He is Stilwell's doctor.
(b) He is an expert witness on ship handling.
(c) He is a fellow DMS captain.
(d) He is a psychiatrist.
8. Who is the grand historical figure in Willie's life?
9. Why can't the Caine join the rest of the sweepers for the surrender ceremonies?
(a) Its rudder is broken.
(b) It is docked in Pearl Harbor.
(c) Its boiler pumps are broken.
(d) It has been junked in Okinawa.
10. How long does Willie sit and listen to May sing at the Grotto Club?
(a) Five hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
11. Who joined Willie and his mother for dinner at Twenty-one?
(c) Uncle Lloyd.
12. What is the sailor in the Flag Lieutenant's office doing when they arrive?
(a) Reading a comic book.
(b) Talking on the phone.
(c) Speaking with the admiral.
(d) Doing paper work.
13. What is the name of the ship that Admiral Halsey is on?
(a) The Arizona.
(b) The Michigan.
(c) The Colorado.
(d) The New Jersey.
14. What recurring dream does Willie remember from his childhood?
(a) A giant serpent eating him.
(b) God as a jack-in-the-box.
(c) Showing up for school without clothes.
(d) A ship sinking in a typhoon.
15. Where is Barney Greenwald from?
(a) San Diego, California.
(b) Manhattan, New York.
(c) Albuquerque, New Mexico.
(d) Phoenix, Arizona.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Barney Greenwald use to describe his legal tricks?
2. Where is the Caine anchored when Captain Queeg begins his search?
3. What does Captain Blakely do when Willie starts telling about the loss of the crate of liquor?
4. What was the result of Queeg's action in the Barzun incident?
5. Whose wife keeps having dreams about typhoons?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)