|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Barney asks about the day of the typhoon, how does Queeg react?
(a) He pulls out a cigarette.
(b) He refuses to answer any of the questions.
(c) He gets indignant and asks for redirection.
(d) He pulls the steel balls out of his pocket.
2. What does Barney get Dr. Lundeen to admit is the problem with Queeg?
(a) A difficult situation at home.
(b) A paranoid personality.
(c) A mental illness.
(d) A lack of forethought.
3. What does Keefer do after the Kamikaze attack?
(a) He goes to the wardroom and gets something to eat.
(b) He retires to his room and works on his novel.
(c) He oversees the firefighting.
(d) He commands over the P.A. system from the bridge.
4. What metaphor does Barney Greenwald use to describe his legal tricks?
(a) Once in a blue moon.
(b) Like getting blood from a turnip.
(c) Like shooting fish in a barrel.
(d) Like taking candy from a baby.
5. How many days before the war ends does the Caine finally sweep a mine?
(a) Five days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Seventeen days.
(d) Two days.
6. What was Willie reading as the boat began to roll hard in Chapter 29?
(b) "Mutiny on the Bounty."
(c) "Moby Dick."
(d) "The Old Curiosity Shop."
7. Maryk testifies that he had the authority to relieve Captain Queeg according to which three articles?
(a) Articles 184, 185, 186.
(b) Articles 2, 4, 6.
(c) Articles 1, 2, 3.
(d) Articles 184, 224, 336.
8. What does the Naval Courts and Boards start with?
(b) Making a mutiny.
(c) Unlawful use of a distilling apparatus.
9. What does Keefer take with him when he jumps off the ship?
(a) His initialed coffee mug.
(b) A life raft.
(c) The captain's log.
(d) His novel.
10. What was Captain Breakstone's dream?
(a) To command a battleship.
(b) To fly on a carrier.
(c) To be the best lawyer in the Navy.
(d) To command a transport.
11. From which book does this quote come? "Life is a dream, a little more coherent than most."
(a) Pascal's "Pensees."
(b) "The Republic" by Plato.
(c) Nietze's "Beyond Good and Evil."
(d) Voltaire's "Socrates."
12. Whom does the nickname "Old Swandive" refer to?
(a) Captain Breakstone.
(b) Captain Queeg.
(c) Captain Keefer.
(d) Admiral Halsey.
13. What goes missing in Chapter 26?
(a) The key to the icebox.
(c) Maryk's secret log.
(d) Ice cream.
14. Who is Challee's first witness?
(a) Willie Keith.
15. How long is Willie on the bridge while the typhoon brushes Tokyo?
(a) 48 hours.
(b) 30 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 12 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what article does Maryk relieve Queeg?
2. The Caine and Moulton are ordered to go where together?
3. What does Captain Blakely do when Willie starts telling about the loss of the crate of liquor?
4. After midnight on the day of the Kamikaze attack, what does Willie do?
5. Admiral Halsey commits to an air strike in support of what?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)