Short Essay Questions Key
1. Why does the author use the title "Through the Looking Glass" for Chapter 1?
2. Why does Willie not take his relationship with May Wynn seriously?
3. In Chapter 3 Willie says, "Do you suppose that some higher power doesn't want me in the Navy?" Why do you think he says this?
4. According to Ensign Brain, why is it important for Willie to be on time?
5. Why does Commander Merton give Willie another chance after the disaster on the parade grounds?
6. Why does Willie decide to open his father's letter earlier than promised?
7. What is Willie's first impression of the USS Caine?
8. What happens during Willie's first watch?
9. Tom Keefer explains his philosophy of the Navy to Willie. What is it?
10. What happens while Willie is distracted and watching Maryk swim out to recover the float?
11. What is the crew's first impression of Captain Queeg?
12. Why does Willie get in trouble in Chapter 12?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)