|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did Secretary of State Cordell Hull formally promise Mexico the 1.5 million acre-feet that had been set-aside for it by the Colorado River Compact?
2. What is the title of Chapter Nine?
3. Floyd Dominy was Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner beginning in what year?
4. The author states there are currently how many acres of cultivated land per person in the U.S. in Chapter Six?
5. In 1962, the total amount of federally built reservoir storage in the nation was somewhere around how many acres-feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
2. Where and how did Floyd Elgin Dominy make enemies in his role at the Bureau of Reclamation?
3. How does the author describe the conservation movement’s efforts in relation to the water-development interests in Chapter Seven?
4. How does the author describe the benefits of the Central Valley Project for American farmers in Chapter Ten?
5. How does the author describe the assets of the members of the Hohokam culture in Chapter Eight?
6. How does the author describe the principle limiting factor in Californian water supply currently in Chapter Ten?
7. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
8. When did Floyd Elgin Dominy arrive at the Bureau of Reclamation? What were his assets there?
9. What caused the disappearance of the members of the Hohokam civilization?
10. What project does the author describe as symbolic of California’s wealth in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Reclamation Act and its impact on the environment of the American West. When was the Act introduced? Who supported it? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Colorado River and the Boulder Canyon Project. When was the project first proposed? How long did it take for its completion?How has the damming of the Colorado changed the environment around it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trading Company in the settlement of the West. When was the company developed? What furs were the trappers seeking in crossing over the Mississippi? What environmental impact did they have there?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)