|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the population of Phoenix, Arizona, in 1940?
2. What was the name of the city in which the Hohokam lived and where downtown Phoenix is today?
3. Historically, the four rivers of Tulare Basin went into two terminal lakes, Tulare and what?
4. The Central Arizona Project was created by the Colorado River Basin Project Act of which year?
5. On what date did Major General William F. Cassidy give a speech titled “The Future of Water Development” before a gathering of his peers in Davis, California, according to the author in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the benefits of the Central Valley Project for American farmers in Chapter Ten?
2. How does Marc Reisner describe the winter of 1861-1862 for Californians in Chapter Ten?
3. How is the Gila River in its historic past described by the author?
4. What led to the political downfall of Floyd Elgin Dominy?
5. What project does the author describe as symbolic of California’s wealth in Chapter Ten?
6. How does the author describe the assets of the members of the Hohokam culture in Chapter Eight?
7. What impressions did Floyd Elgin Dominy make on the members of the Bureau of Reclamation? When was his breakthrough there?
8. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
9. What misconception about California’s climate does the author describe in the beginning of Chapter Ten?
10. What caused the disappearance of the members of the Hohokam civilization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of ideology and hypocrisy as illustrated in Cadillac Desert. In the author’s point of view, how did political leaning have sway on environmental depletion? How does the theme of the American Dream relate to these concepts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Major General William F. Cassidy, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Bureau of Reclamation. Why does the author consider these two bureaucracies to be “rivals in crime”? On what date did Major General William F. Cassidy give a speech titled “The Future of Water Development” and what did this speech entail?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and beliefs of Brigham Young. Why were the Mormons persecuted in the East for their beliefs? What made them choose to move to the West?What was this region like at the time of the Mormon settlement? How did they change it?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)