|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Central Valley Project Act passed in California?
2. In 1962, there were how many megawatts of installed hydroelectric generating capacity in the United States?
3. Richard Wilson had a degree in agricultural engineering from which institution?
4. Every year, the Mississippi River carries about how many acres-feet of water out to sea, according to the author in Chapter Six?
5. In which year does the author state that “Congress received two separate reports on developing the Kings and the Kern: one on a traditional Reclamation project, the other on a project that purported to be for flood control, but which, by controlling the river’s runoff and drying up Tulare Lake, would irrigate a roughly equal amount of land”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
2. What led to the political downfall of Floyd Elgin Dominy?
3. How does Marc Reisner describe the winter of 1861-1862 for Californians in Chapter Ten?
4. What misconception about California’s climate does the author describe in the beginning of Chapter Ten?
5. How does the author describe the Hohokam’s efforts at irrigation in Chapter Eight?
6. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
7. Who does the author describe as being absent at the dedication of the Hoover Dam in Chapter Eight?
8. Where and how did Floyd Elgin Dominy make enemies in his role at the Bureau of Reclamation?
9. How does the author describe Floyd Elgin Dominy? When and where did he begin his career?
10. How does the author compare both the Bureau of Reclamation and the Army Corps of Engineers and their faults in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Harry Chandler and his role in the Owens River scam. What was Chandler’s relationship to Harrison Gray Otis?What were Chandler’s associations with Fred Eaton?How did Chandler gain wealth through the Owens River scam?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Harrison Gray Otis. When and where was he born? What brought him to L.A.? How did Otis secure ownership of the Times and the Mirror? How much did each cost him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Major General William F. Cassidy, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Bureau of Reclamation. Why does the author consider these two bureaucracies to be “rivals in crime”? On what date did Major General William F. Cassidy give a speech titled “The Future of Water Development” and what did this speech entail?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)