|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year did Secretary of State Cordell Hull formally promise Mexico the 1.5 million acre-feet that had been set-aside for it by the Colorado River Compact?
2. By the mid-1920s, thanks to irrigation pumping, California had surpassed what as the richest agricultural state in the country?
3. In what year did the Hohokam culture disappear?
4. In San Francisco, average rainfall in May is how much?
5. The Kern County Land Company later became the main agricultural holding of what conglomerate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Michael Strauss? How is he described by the author?
2. How does the author describe the benefits of the Central Valley Project for American farmers in Chapter Ten?
3. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
4. What led to the political downfall of Floyd Elgin Dominy?
5. When did Floyd Elgin Dominy arrive at the Bureau of Reclamation? What were his assets there?
6. How does the author describe the Hohokam’s efforts at irrigation in Chapter Eight?
7. How is the Fontenelle Dam described by the author? Where is it located?
8. How does the author describe the principle limiting factor in Californian water supply currently in Chapter Ten?
9. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
10. How is the Gila River in its historic past described by the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Colorado River and the Boulder Canyon Project. When was the project first proposed? How long did it take for its completion?How has the damming of the Colorado changed the environment around it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Mulholland and Fred Eaton. What impact did William Mulholland have on the city of Los Angeles? What dedications to Mulholland exist in Los Angeles today? How is he currently perceived by Californians?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Harrison Gray Otis. When and where was he born? What brought him to L.A.? How did Otis secure ownership of the Times and the Mirror? How much did each cost him?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)