|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1964, what Interior Secretary ordered Commissioner Floyd Dominy to investigate the number of violations occurring within the service area of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California?
2. On what date did Franklin Roosevelt dedicate the Hoover Dam?
3. When was the Central Valley Project Act passed in California?
4. San Francisco is just slightly rainier than which Mexican city, according to the author in Chapter Ten?
5. In January of 1862, San Francisco recorded how many inches of rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Floyd Elgin Dominy? When and where did he begin his career?
2. What led to the political downfall of Floyd Elgin Dominy?
3. What was Floyd Elgin Dominy’s position at the Board of Reclamation? How did he feel about his position?
4. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
5. How does the author describe the benefits of the Central Valley Project for American farmers in Chapter Ten?
6. How does the author describe the principle limiting factor in Californian water supply currently in Chapter Ten?
7. Who were the members of the Hohokam culture? When did they thrive and disappear?
8. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
9. Who does the author describe as being absent at the dedication of the Hoover Dam in Chapter Eight?
10. What caused a change for California’s economy in the 1920s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of ideology and hypocrisy as illustrated in Cadillac Desert. In the author’s point of view, how did political leaning have sway on environmental depletion? How does the theme of the American Dream relate to these concepts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and beliefs of Brigham Young. Why were the Mormons persecuted in the East for their beliefs? What made them choose to move to the West?What was this region like at the time of the Mormon settlement? How did they change it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings and environments of the Kings, the Kaweah, the Tule, and the Kern Rivers. How were each of these rivers impacted by the Corps of Engineers?What do the rivers look like today? How have they changed in 100 years?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)