|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Pine Flat Dam is located approximately twenty miles east of what city?
2. What was the eleventh-largest landowner in California in 1980?
3. The Central Arizona Project was created by the Colorado River Basin Project Act of which year?
4. What was the name of the city in which the Hohokam lived and where downtown Phoenix is today?
5. About what percent of the state of California receives less than twenty inches of precipitation a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Hohokam’s efforts at irrigation in Chapter Eight?
2. What caused the disappearance of the members of the Hohokam civilization?
3. Who does the author describe as being absent at the dedication of the Hoover Dam in Chapter Eight?
4. What impressions did Floyd Elgin Dominy make on the members of the Bureau of Reclamation? When was his breakthrough there?
5. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
6. How does Marc Reisner describe the winter of 1861-1862 for Californians in Chapter Ten?
7. How is the Gila River in its historic past described by the author?
8. Where and how did Floyd Elgin Dominy make enemies in his role at the Bureau of Reclamation?
9. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
10. How is the Fontenelle Dam described by the author? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Harry Chandler and his role in the Owens River scam. What was Chandler’s relationship to Harrison Gray Otis?What were Chandler’s associations with Fred Eaton?How did Chandler gain wealth through the Owens River scam?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Colorado River and the Boulder Canyon Project. When was the project first proposed? How long did it take for its completion?How has the damming of the Colorado changed the environment around it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings and environments of the Kings, the Kaweah, the Tule, and the Kern Rivers. How were each of these rivers impacted by the Corps of Engineers?What do the rivers look like today? How have they changed in 100 years?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)