|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in the Introduction, “On the east side of the Sierra-Cascade crest, moisture drops immediately from as much as 150 inches of precipitation on the western slope to as little as” how many inches on the eastern slope?
2. At what swank resort outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico, did the negotiation of the Colorado River Compact take place?
3. Which states are touched by the Colorado River?
4. Who does the author refer to as “an egomaniacal small-time construction tycoon” in Chapter Four?
5. When was Marc Reisner born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awards has Marc Reisner earned for his environmental and writing work?
2. What initially led to the struggles over the Colorado River?
3. How does the author of Cadillac Desert describe the bureaucratic changes during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Administration?
4. Who won in the struggles over the Colorado River, according to the author in Chapter Four?
5. What genre is Cadillac Desert? What does Marc Reisner reveal through his approach in the book?
6. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
7. What did Arizona do in response to California’s challenge for the Colorado River?
8. How was Cadillac Desert received upon its first publication?
9. How does the author describe Los Angeles’s power in its struggle for the Colorado River in Chapter Four?
10. What are the historical foci of Marc Reisner in writing Cadillac Desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Emil Haury and the Hohokam culture. What book did Haury write about the Hohokam? What reasons did he give for their disappearance? theories does the author present? Do they differ from Haury’s? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trading Company in the settlement of the West. When was the company developed? What furs were the trappers seeking in crossing over the Mississippi? What environmental impact did they have there?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the American Gold Rush and its impact on settlement in San Francisco. How much did the population of San Francisco change in the 1850s? What drawing factors did the California government and businesses “sell” to those wanting to move West? What results occurred?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)