|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Bayano Dam built?
2. How many major dams does the author say California has in the Introduction?
3. According to the author in Chapter Two, “the most persecuted among the virtuous in nineteenth-century America were, besides peaceful Indians and runaway slaves and Mennonites and Quakers, the members of” what faith?
4. What word used in the book’s Introduction means allowing the maximum passage of light, as glass?
5. The author begins Chapter Three by stating, “When archaeologists from some other planet sift through the bleached bones of our civilization, they may well conclude that our temples were” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
2. What ideological dualism is implied by the title of Cadillac Desert?
3. How does the author describe the Colorado River in the beginning of Chapter Four?
4. What happened to the populations of Nebraska and Kansas in 1890?
5. How does the author of Cadillac Desert describe the bureaucratic changes during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Administration?
6. How have new historians of the American West spent their focus differently than the traditionalists?
7. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
8. What actions did Franklin D. Roosevelt take following the Dust Bowl in regard to water projects?
9. What awards has Marc Reisner earned for his environmental and writing work?
10. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss B. B. Moeur and the Boulder Canyon Project. Why did Moeur have lower opinions of the project? How did his constituents feel about the projects?How did these opinions prove to be right or wrong in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Central Valley Project. When was it proposed and enacted? What did it entail? How was it related to the Bureau of Reclamation? How was the water to be diverted from the north in California to the south?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Wall Street Crash of 1929, the Great Depression, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Harold Ickes. What programs did Roosevelt initiate to resuscitate the economy in America during and after the Depression?What perception does the author have of F.D.R.? What were the positives and negatives of his Administration?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)