|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the authorized history titled Water for the West?
2. For what organization was Marc Reisner a staff writer from 1972 to 1979?
3. When was Marc Reisner born?
4. Where was Harrison Gray Otis born?
5. When was the Bayano Dam built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Arizona do in response to California’s challenge for the Colorado River?
2. How does the author describe the American West in Chapter One?
3. How have new historians of the American West spent their focus differently than the traditionalists?
4. How have historians traditionally spent their focus in regard to the American West?
5. What genre is Cadillac Desert? What does Marc Reisner reveal through his approach in the book?
6. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
7. What happened to the populations of Nebraska and Kansas in 1890?
8. What are the historical foci of Marc Reisner in writing Cadillac Desert?
9. What is significant about the movement toward revisionist history?
10. Who won in the struggles over the Colorado River, according to the author in Chapter Four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Central Valley Project. When was it proposed and enacted? What did it entail? How was it related to the Bureau of Reclamation? How was the water to be diverted from the north in California to the south?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Harry Chandler and his role in the Owens River scam. What was Chandler’s relationship to Harrison Gray Otis?What were Chandler’s associations with Fred Eaton?How did Chandler gain wealth through the Owens River scam?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William Mulholland and Fred Eaton. What impact did William Mulholland have on the city of Los Angeles? What dedications to Mulholland exist in Los Angeles today? How is he currently perceived by Californians?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)