|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter Three, regarding the Bureau of Reclamation, “The most auspicious event in its entire history was the election to the presidency in 1932 of a freewheeling, free-spending” what?
2. The population of San Francisco went over how many in 1853?
3. When was Marriner Stoddard Eccles born?
4. Who did Charles Rockwood convince to join forces with him in irrigation, according to the author in Chapter Four?
5. When was Harry Chandler born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author of the book. What relevant professional experience does Reisner have to ecology?
2. When did the perception of the American West as a desert begin to change? Who helped initiate this change?
3. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
4. What did Arizona do in response to California’s challenge for the Colorado River?
5. How have new historians of the American West spent their focus differently than the traditionalists?
6. How does the author describe Los Angeles’s power in its struggle for the Colorado River in Chapter Four?
7. What reaction did the public and lawmakers have to the advice of John Wesley Powell regarding settlement in the West? What was the result?
8. What awards has Marc Reisner earned for his environmental and writing work?
9. What impressions did the first Europeans to discover the American West have of the environment?
10. Who was William Mulholland? Why did he come to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trading Company in the settlement of the West. When was the company developed? What furs were the trappers seeking in crossing over the Mississippi? What environmental impact did they have there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and beliefs of Brigham Young. Why were the Mormons persecuted in the East for their beliefs? What made them choose to move to the West?What was this region like at the time of the Mormon settlement? How did they change it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Harry Chandler and his role in the Owens River scam. What was Chandler’s relationship to Harrison Gray Otis?What were Chandler’s associations with Fred Eaton?How did Chandler gain wealth through the Owens River scam?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)