|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What handpicked Fresno legislature member once referred to groundwater regulation as “World War III”?
(a) Ray Roberts.
(b) Ken Maddy.
(c) Cordell Hull.
(d) Harry Morrison.
2. In San Francisco, average rainfall in May is how much?
(a) Four-tenths of an inch.
(b) Six-tenths of an inch.
(c) One-quarter of an inch.
(d) Two-thirds of an inch.
3. Chapter Ten is subtitled what?
(a) “Those Who Refuse to learn…”
(b) “A Country of Illusion.”
(c) “The Go-Go Years.”
4. Who was Pat Brown’s water resources chief?
(a) Paul Sears.
(b) Bill Warne.
(c) Mike Strauss.
(d) E. O. Wattis.
5. The author states there are currently how many acres of cultivated land per person in the U.S. in Chapter Six?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Pine Flat Dam is located approximately twenty miles east of what city?
2. Historically, the four rivers of Tulare Basin went into two terminal lakes, Tulare and what?
3. In 1962, there were how many megawatts of installed hydroelectric generating capacity in the United States?
4. On what date did Franklin Roosevelt dedicate the Hoover Dam?
5. When was the Central Valley Project Act passed in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marc Reisner describe the winter of 1861-1862 for Californians in Chapter Ten?
2. How does the author describe the benefits of the Central Valley Project for American farmers in Chapter Ten?
3. How was the Central Valley Project different from other Reclamation projects, according to the author?
4. What impressions did Floyd Elgin Dominy make on the members of the Bureau of Reclamation? When was his breakthrough there?
5. Who were the members of the Hohokam culture? When did they thrive and disappear?
6. How does the author describe Floyd Elgin Dominy? When and where did he begin his career?
7. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
8. What misconception about California’s climate does the author describe in the beginning of Chapter Ten?
9. Where and how did Floyd Elgin Dominy make enemies in his role at the Bureau of Reclamation?
10. Who was Michael Strauss? How is he described by the author?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)