|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1962, the total amount of federally built reservoir storage in the nation was somewhere around how many acres-feet?
(a) 80 million.
(b) 300 million.
(c) 2 billion.
(d) 950 million.
2. The 17.5-million-acre-foot yield that the Compact negotiators had ascribed to the Colorado River was based on about how many years of stream flow measurement, according to the author in Chapter Eight?
3. What organization does the author refer to “as opportunistic and ruthless an agency as American government has ever seen” in Chapter Six?
(a) The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
(b) The Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The Internal Revenue Service.
(d) The Corps of Engineers.
4. On what date did Franklin Roosevelt dedicate the Hoover Dam?
(a) April 25, 1907.
(b) September 30, 1935.
(c) December 4, 1942.
(d) June 6, 1928.
5. According to the author, “[Ronald] Reagan, as a westerner, should have been a friend of dams, but he was growing more conservative by the hour, and true conservatives tend to dislike” what?
(a) “Impacting nature.”
(b) “Endless spending.”
(c) “Great public works.”
(d) “More taxes.”
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
2. In 1962, there were how many megawatts of installed hydroelectric generating capacity in the United States?
3. When did the American Revolutionary War end?
4. The author describes a restaurant at which hotel in Clayton, Georgia, in the beginning of Chapter Nine?
5. The Kern County Land Company was originally put together by James Ben Ali Haggin and who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What project does the author describe as symbolic of California’s wealth in Chapter Ten?
2. How does the author describe Floyd Elgin Dominy? When and where did he begin his career?
3. Who were the members of the Hohokam culture? When did they thrive and disappear?
4. How is the Gila River in its historic past described by the author?
5. How does Marc Reisner describe the winter of 1861-1862 for Californians in Chapter Ten?
6. What misconception about California’s climate does the author describe in the beginning of Chapter Ten?
7. Who was Michael Strauss? How is he described by the author?
8. What were B. B. Moeur’s feelings about the Colorado River Compact?
9. What led to the political downfall of Floyd Elgin Dominy?
10. How does the author compare both the Bureau of Reclamation and the Army Corps of Engineers and their faults in the book?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)