|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Marc Reisner born?
(a) Knoxville, Tennessee.
(b) Billings, Montana.
(c) St. Paul, Minnesota.
(d) Durango, Colorado.
2. When was the Bayano Dam built?
3. Who did Charles Rockwood convince to join forces with him in irrigation, according to the author in Chapter Four?
(a) Michael Robinson.
(b) George Chaffey.
(c) N.H. Darton.
(d) Bill Warne.
4. When was Marc Reisner born?
5. The author states in the Introduction that California has the two biggest irrigation projects on earth, but its irrigated acreage is not much larger than what U.S. state?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author begins Chapter Three by stating, “When archaeologists from some other planet sift through the bleached bones of our civilization, they may well conclude that our temples were” what?
2. The Sierra Nevada foothills are how many miles across the Central Valley from San Francisco?
3. What western city does the author describe “with exotic palms and golf-course lawns and a five-hundred-foot fountain and an artificial surf” in the Introduction?
4. When was Harrison Gray Otis born?
5. What river is known as the River of No Return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
2. What is significant about the movement toward revisionist history?
3. What happened to the populations of Nebraska and Kansas in 1890?
4. Who was William Mulholland? Why did he come to Los Angeles?
5. How does the author describe the American West in Chapter One?
6. When did the perception of the American West as a desert begin to change? Who helped initiate this change?
7. What initially led to the struggles over the Colorado River?
8. Describe the author of the book. What relevant professional experience does Reisner have to ecology?
9. What reaction did the public and lawmakers have to the advice of John Wesley Powell regarding settlement in the West? What was the result?
10. How was Cadillac Desert received upon its first publication?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)