|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the largest and hottest deserts in North America, with an area of 311,000 square kilometers?
(a) The Sonoran Desert.
(b) The Gila Desert.
(c) The Gobi Desert.
(d) The Sahara Desert.
2. When was Franklin D. Roosevelt born?
3. When was Marriner Stoddard Eccles born?
4. Almost all of the rain in Napa Valley falls between which months?
(a) March to July.
(b) November to March.
(c) August to December.
(d) May to September.
5. What does the author claim in the Introduction that, “because of their moisture requirements,” are our physiological counterparts in the kingdom of plants?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Reclamation Act established?
2. Which states are touched by the Colorado River?
3. Who is quoted in the beginning of Chapter Four as stating, “Ours was the first and will doubtless be the last party of whites to visit this profitless locale”?
4. In what year did Charles Rockwood see the Colorado River for the first time?
5. What is the name given to the principal hydrological divide of the Americas that separates the watersheds which drain into the Pacific Ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Franklin D. Roosevelt take following the Dust Bowl in regard to water projects?
2. What is significant about the movement toward revisionist history?
3. What impressions did the first Europeans to discover the American West have of the environment?
4. What publication does the author describe which was written by John Wesley Powell?
5. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
6. What does the author write of the impressions from the Lewis and Clark expedition in the West in Chapter Two?
7. Who won in the struggles over the Colorado River, according to the author in Chapter Four?
8. What reaction did the public and lawmakers have to the advice of John Wesley Powell regarding settlement in the West? What was the result?
9. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
10. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)