|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author describes flying over the state of Utah on his way back to California in what year in the Introduction?
2. What river is known as the River of No Return?
(a) The Yellowstone River.
(b) The Snake River.
(c) The Owyhee River.
(d) The Salmon River.
3. Where was John Wesley Powell born?
(a) Mount Morris, New York.
(b) Gary, Indiana.
(c) Aurora, Illinois.
(d) Akron, Ohio.
4. How many major dams does the author say California has in the Introduction?
5. When was the revised and updated version of Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water published?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Marc Reisner born?
2. What from San Bernardino found their way to the 1884 World’s Fair in New Orleans, where they attracted crowds?
3. The first boom of travelers to Los Angeles culminated in what year, according to the author in Chapter Two?
4. What is the name given to the principal hydrological divide of the Americas that separates the watersheds which drain into the Pacific Ocean?
5. In what year did Charles Rockwood see the Colorado River for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
2. Who won in the struggles over the Colorado River, according to the author in Chapter Four?
3. When did the perception of the American West as a desert begin to change? Who helped initiate this change?
4. Who was William Mulholland? Why did he come to Los Angeles?
5. How does the author describe the Colorado River in the beginning of Chapter Four?
6. How does the author of Cadillac Desert describe the bureaucratic changes during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Administration?
7. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
8. What actions did Franklin D. Roosevelt take following the Dust Bowl in regard to water projects?
9. What impressions did the first Europeans to discover the American West have of the environment?
10. What initially led to the struggles over the Colorado River?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)