|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Franklin D. Roosevelt born?
2. At what swank resort outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico, did the negotiation of the Colorado River Compact take place?
(a) Mesa Verde Lodge.
(b) Thirty Palms Resort.
(c) Bishop’s Lodge.
(d) Desert Oasis Hotel and Spa.
3. Almost all of the rain in Napa Valley falls between which months?
(a) August to December.
(b) May to September.
(c) November to March.
(d) March to July.
4. Where was Harry Chandler born?
(a) Akron, Ohio.
(b) Landaff, New Hampshire.
(c) Arco, Idaho.
(d) Marquette, Michigan.
5. What is one of the four major prehistoric archaeological Oasisamerica traditions of what is now the American Southwest which the author describes in Chapter One?
Short Answer Questions
1. The first boom of travelers to Los Angeles culminated in what year, according to the author in Chapter Two?
2. In 1885, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad linked Los Angeles directly with what city?
3. The Reclamation Act was authored by what U.S. Representative?
4. The author states in the Introduction that California has the two biggest irrigation projects on earth, but its irrigated acreage is not much larger than what U.S. state?
5. How many acres of marsh and swamp forest were converted to farms in Arkansas and Louisiana, according to the author in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction did the public and lawmakers have to the advice of John Wesley Powell regarding settlement in the West? What was the result?
2. What is significant about the movement toward revisionist history?
3. When did the perception of the American West as a desert begin to change? Who helped initiate this change?
4. How was Cadillac Desert received upon its first publication?
5. How does the author describe Los Angeles’s power in its struggle for the Colorado River in Chapter Four?
6. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
7. What does the author write of the impressions from the Lewis and Clark expedition in the West in Chapter Two?
8. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
9. How have historians traditionally spent their focus in regard to the American West?
10. How did William Mulholland’s character and career develop in his later years?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)