|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William Mulholland’s father held what profession?
(a) Postal clerk.
(d) Car salesman.
2. According to the author in the Introduction, “On the east side of the Sierra-Cascade crest, moisture drops immediately from as much as 150 inches of precipitation on the western slope to as little as” how many inches on the eastern slope?
3. When was the Bayano Dam built?
4. Harry Morrison and Morris Knudsen, two engineers formerly with the Bureau of Reclamation, went into business together where, according to the author in Chapter Four?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Boise, Idaho.
(d) Fargo, North Dakota.
5. What is one of the largest and hottest deserts in North America, with an area of 311,000 square kilometers?
(a) The Gobi Desert.
(b) The Sonoran Desert.
(c) The Sahara Desert.
(d) The Gila Desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the book’s Introduction?
2. The author states in Chapter Two, “Brigham Young dispatched a party of his most loyal disciples, in 1851 to follow whose old route to the coast?
3. According to the author in the Introduction, “Fifty-six years after the first earth was turned beside City Creek, the Mormons had” how many “acres under full or partial irrigation in several states”?
4. When was Harrison Gray Otis born?
5. The drop to the Colorado River is nearly how many feet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author of the book. What relevant professional experience does Reisner have to ecology?
2. What happened to the populations of Nebraska and Kansas in 1890?
3. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
4. Who won in the struggles over the Colorado River, according to the author in Chapter Four?
5. How does the author describe the American West in Chapter One?
6. What are the historical foci of Marc Reisner in writing Cadillac Desert?
7. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
8. What impressions did the first Europeans to discover the American West have of the environment?
9. What initially led to the struggles over the Colorado River?
10. How have historians traditionally spent their focus in regard to the American West?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)