|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A letter is quoted in Chapter One from Francisco Vásquez de Coronado to whom?
(a) Lieutenant Joseph Christmas Ives.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Barry Goldwater.
(d) Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza.
2. Which Texas historian wrote an article for Harper’s entitled “The American West, Perpetual Mirage”?
(a) Walter Prescott Webb.
(b) Lloyd Tevis.
(c) Cordell Hull.
(d) Harry Morrison.
3. When was Harry Chandler born?
4. Who does the author refer to as “an egomaniacal small-time construction tycoon” in Chapter Four?
(a) Henry J. Kaiser.
(b) W. A. Bechtel.
(c) James Marshall.
(d) Wayne Wyatt.
5. The annual income of Las Vegas is what percentage of the entire gross national product of Egypt, according to the author in Chapter Four?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the population of Los Angeles when Harrison Gray Otis moved there?
2. Harry Morrison and Morris Knudsen, two engineers formerly with the Bureau of Reclamation, went into business together where, according to the author in Chapter Four?
3. When was the Reclamation Act established?
4. What region is located in southeastern Southern California, and is the site of an urban area largely centered on the city of El Centro?
5. What western city does the author describe “with exotic palms and golf-course lawns and a five-hundred-foot fountain and an artificial surf” in the Introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Franklin D. Roosevelt take following the Dust Bowl in regard to water projects?
2. What does the author write of the impressions from the Lewis and Clark expedition in the West in Chapter Two?
3. How does the author describe the Colorado River in the beginning of Chapter Four?
4. What actions did William Mulholland take in order to solve the water problems in Los Angeles?
5. When was the Hoover Dam constructed? Where is it located?
6. What are the historical foci of Marc Reisner in writing Cadillac Desert?
7. What happened to the populations of Nebraska and Kansas in 1890?
8. Who was General John Wesley Powell? How does the author describe him?
9. What impressions did the first Europeans to discover the American West have of the environment?
10. What did Arizona do in response to California’s challenge for the Colorado River?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)