|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William Mulholland’s father held what profession?
(b) Postal clerk.
(c) Car salesman.
2. Who wrote the sonnet “Ozymandias,” which is quoted in the opening of Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water?
(a) James Marshall.
(b) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(c) Michael Robinson.
(d) Jim Casey.
3. The Reclamation Act was authored by what U.S. Representative?
(a) Barry Goldwater.
(b) Raymond Hill.
(c) Jim Casey.
(d) Francis G. Newlands.
4. The population of San Francisco went over how many in 1853?
5. For what organization was Marc Reisner a staff writer from 1972 to 1979?
(a) The Natural Resources Defense Council.
(b) The World Wildlife Fund.
(c) The Sierra Club.
(d) The Nature Conservancy.
6. What region is located in southeastern Southern California, and is the site of an urban area largely centered on the city of El Centro?
(a) Silicon Valley.
(b) Imperial Valley.
(c) The San Joaquin Valley.
(d) The Sacramento Valley.
7. What is one of the four major prehistoric archaeological Oasisamerica traditions of what is now the American Southwest which the author describes in Chapter One?
8. What word used in the book’s Introduction means allowing the maximum passage of light, as glass?
9. In what year did Charles Rockwood see the Colorado River for the first time?
10. What does the author claim in the Introduction that, “because of their moisture requirements,” are our physiological counterparts in the kingdom of plants?
11. According to the author in the Introduction, “Fifty-six years after the first earth was turned beside City Creek, the Mormons had” how many “acres under full or partial irrigation in several states”?
12. Where was Harry Chandler born?
(a) Akron, Ohio.
(b) Landaff, New Hampshire.
(c) Arco, Idaho.
(d) Marquette, Michigan.
13. When did Francisco Vásquez de Coronado set out on horseback from Mexico with a couple of hundred men, driving into the uncharted North, according to the author in Chapter One?
14. When did Harrison Gray Otis move to Santa Barbara, California?
15. The Sierra Nevada foothills are how many miles across the Central Valley from San Francisco?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Franklin D. Roosevelt take office as President of the United States?
2. How much of the water in California is used for irrigation purposes, according to the author?
3. In what year was the Hoover Dam dedicated?
4. When was Marriner Stoddard Eccles born?
5. At what swank resort outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico, did the negotiation of the Colorado River Compact take place?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)