|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12 & Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were a series of conflicts between the city of Los Angeles, farmers and ranchers in the Owens Valley of Eastern California, and environmentalists called?
(a) The Great Acquisition.
(b) The Urban Water Hoard.
(c) The Aquatic Revolution.
(d) The California Water Wars.
2. The Central Arizona Project was envisioned by which U.S. Senator?
(a) Barry Goldwater.
(b) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
(c) Bill Warne.
(d) Lieutenant Joseph Christmas Ives.
3. According to the author in Chapter Eight, “The first serious doubts about the 7.5-million-acre-foot figure were raised bywhat distinguished hydrologic engineer at a conference in Washington, D.C., in 1953?
(a) Raymond Hill.
(b) Emil Haury.
(c) Herbert Grubb.
(d) Henry J. Kaiser.
4. The Kern County Land Company later became the main agricultural holding of what conglomerate?
(a) The Tenneco Corporation.
(b) Irvine Ranch.
(c) Sierra Pacific Industries.
(d) The DiGiorgio Company.
5. How much of the water in California is used for irrigation purposes, according to the author?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the planning director of the Texas Water Development Board when the book was written?
2. The Sierra Nevada foothills are how many miles across the Central Valley from San Francisco?
3. The first boom of travelers to Los Angeles culminated in what year, according to the author in Chapter Two?
4. The Grand Coulee is an ancient riverbed in what U.S. state?
5. Where was Marc Reisner born?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)