|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 & 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter Four that “If the Colorado River suddenly stopped flowing, you would have” how many “years of carryover capacity in the reservoirs before you had to evacuate most of southern California and Arizona and a good portion of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming”?
2. According to the author in Chapter Two, “the most persecuted among the virtuous in nineteenth-century America were, besides peaceful Indians and runaway slaves and Mennonites and Quakers, the members of” what faith?
(a) The Muslim faith.
(b) The Jewish faith.
(c) The Christian Science faith.
(d) The Mormon faith.
3. Where was Marc Reisner born?
(a) Billings, Montana.
(b) Knoxville, Tennessee.
(c) Durango, Colorado.
(d) St. Paul, Minnesota.
4. According to the author in the Introduction, “Fifty-six years after the first earth was turned beside City Creek, the Mormons had” how many “acres under full or partial irrigation in several states”?
5. For what organization was Marc Reisner a staff writer from 1972 to 1979?
(a) The Sierra Club.
(b) The Natural Resources Defense Council.
(c) The World Wildlife Fund.
(d) The Nature Conservancy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the largest and hottest deserts in North America, with an area of 311,000 square kilometers?
2. How long does the author say civilization had existed in Utah since Brigham Young led his followers there, in the Introduction?
3. How many acres of marsh and swamp forest were converted to farms in Arkansas and Louisiana, according to the author in the Introduction?
4. The Sierra Nevada foothills are how many miles across the Central Valley from San Francisco?
5. What is one of the four major prehistoric archaeological Oasisamerica traditions of what is now the American Southwest which the author describes in Chapter One?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)