|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 2 & 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many major dams does the author say California has in the Introduction?
2. The author states in the Introduction that California has the two biggest irrigation projects on earth, but its irrigated acreage is not much larger than what U.S. state?
3. Where was Harrison Gray Otis born?
(a) Green Bay, Wisconsin.
(b) Ely, Minnesota.
(c) Atlanta, Georgia.
(d) Marietta, Ohio.
4. Where was Marc Reisner born?
(a) Knoxville, Tennessee.
(b) Durango, Colorado.
(c) Billings, Montana.
(d) St. Paul, Minnesota.
5. John Wesley Powell figured that if you evenly distributed all of the surface water flowing between the Columbia River and the Gulf of Mexico, you would have what?
(a) A desert almost indistinguishable from what is there today.
(b) The most productive agricultural system the world has ever seen.
(c) Astounding yields on farms covering a quarter of the country.
(d) Lush green pastures as far as the eye can see.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in Chapter Two, “Brigham Young dispatched a party of his most loyal disciples, in 1851 to follow whose old route to the coast?
2. Who wrote the sonnet “Ozymandias,” which is quoted in the opening of Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water?
3. The Reclamation Act was authored by what U.S. Representative?
4. For what organization was Marc Reisner a staff writer from 1972 to 1979?
5. According to the author, “New England was completely forested in 1620 and nearly deforested” how many years later?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)