|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction & Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Francisco Vásquez de Coronado set out on horseback from Mexico with a couple of hundred men, driving into the uncharted North, according to the author in Chapter One?
2. Where was Marc Reisner born?
(a) Billings, Montana.
(b) Durango, Colorado.
(c) St. Paul, Minnesota.
(d) Knoxville, Tennessee.
3. What does the author claim in the Introduction that, “because of their moisture requirements,” are our physiological counterparts in the kingdom of plants?
4. Which Texas historian wrote an article for Harper’s entitled “The American West, Perpetual Mirage”?
(a) Lloyd Tevis.
(b) Cordell Hull.
(c) Harry Morrison.
(d) Walter Prescott Webb.
5. How many major dams does the author say California has in the Introduction?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the four major prehistoric archaeological Oasisamerica traditions of what is now the American Southwest which the author describes in Chapter One?
2. When was the Reclamation Act established?
3. Where was John Wesley Powell born?
4. When was the revised and updated version of Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water published?
5. According to the author in the Introduction, “On the east side of the Sierra-Cascade crest, moisture drops immediately from as much as 150 inches of precipitation on the western slope to as little as” how many inches on the eastern slope?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)