|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Introduction & Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mountain range described in the Introduction stretches approximately 160 miles from the Utah-Idaho border, south through central Utah in the western United States?
(a) The Sierra Nevada.
(b) The Brooks Range.
(c) The Cascade Range.
(d) The Wasatch Range.
2. Who was to the man to “discover a malleable yellow rock in the tail race of Sutter’s Mill on the American River above Sacramento” in the 1800s,” according to the author in Chapter One?
(a) Floyd Dominy.
(b) James Marshall.
(c) C.W. Hollister.
(d) Emil Haury.
3. What is the state capital of Utah?
(d) Salt Lake City.
4. When was the revised and updated version of Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water published?
5. John Wesley Powell figured that if you evenly distributed all of the surface water flowing between the Columbia River and the Gulf of Mexico, you would have what?
(a) Astounding yields on farms covering a quarter of the country.
(b) A desert almost indistinguishable from what is there today.
(c) Lush green pastures as far as the eye can see.
(d) The most productive agricultural system the world has ever seen.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Marc Reisner die?
2. What does the author claim in the Introduction that, “because of their moisture requirements,” are our physiological counterparts in the kingdom of plants?
3. How long does the author say civilization had existed in Utah since Brigham Young led his followers there, in the Introduction?
4. According to the author in the Introduction, “On the east side of the Sierra-Cascade crest, moisture drops immediately from as much as 150 inches of precipitation on the western slope to as little as” how many inches on the eastern slope?
5. According to the author in the Introduction, “Modern Utah, where large-scale irrigation has been going on longer than anywhere else,” has what percent of its land area under cultivation?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)