|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is the peep show held?
2. In what season does the Little Steamer return?
3. Who is the only child who does not come to the peep show?
4. What does Indian John's dog do that makes the Woodlawns mad at it?
5. What are the people cut off from when ice builds up on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom say about the scalp belt that makes Hetty so happy?
2. At the end of the book, where does Caddie always look, and why?
3. What does Indian John ask of Caddie before he travels west for a time?
4. What does Caddie realize about Hetty when they sit together on the hill?
5. Who are the heroes Miss Parker singles out after the fire?
6. What does Johnny tell his children to do in the summer when they are planning their fun day?
7. What happens when the Woodlawns get caught in a storm on the last day of school?
8. What is the final tally of the votes?
9. What does Johnny say to Caddie after Harriet punishes her for the prank on Annabelle?
10. What happens when Annabelle tries to salt the sheep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How does Johnny choose to raise Caddie and why? How does this decision affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Edmund is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)