|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the votes put when they are written?
2. What gift does Indian John leave for Caddie when he leaves the Woodlawn's house?
3. To whom does Indian John want speak to when he comes to the Woodlawn's house?
4. Why does Indian John leave his dog at the Woodlawn's house?
5. How many buttons are on Annabelle's prized dress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie say started her illness?
2. What does Caddie realize about Hetty when they sit together on the hill?
3. Who are the heroes Miss Parker singles out after the fire?
4. What happens when the Woodlawns get caught in a storm on the last day of school?
5. What does Harriet tell Caddie about Sam Hankinson?
6. What does Harriet do when Johnny reads her vote, and how do the children respond to this?
7. Why does Caddie spend her money on the Hankinson children?
8. What does Tom say about the scalp belt that makes Hetty so happy?
9. What does Johnny say to Caddie after Harriet punishes her for the prank on Annabelle?
10. What does Johnny tell his children to do in the summer when they are planning their fun day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)