|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that makes Harriet cry for the first time Caddie remembers?
2. What does Johnny tell Annabelle to do when he speaks to his children about the foreign letter?
3. What does Caddie notice about Annabelle's walk the second night she is in their house?
4. How many children does Sam Hankinson have?
5. What are the people cut off from when ice builds up on the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, where does Caddie always look, and why?
2. Why are Tom's stories always in such high demand?
3. What happens when Annabelle tries to salt the sheep?
4. What does Harriet do when Johnny reads her vote, and how do the children respond to this?
5. What does Robert do when he finds the peep show?
6. What happens when Warren performs his piece at Speaking Day?
7. What does the foreign letter to Johnny say?
8. What does Annabelle think of moving to England?
9. What does Indian John ask of Caddie before he travels west for a time?
10. What does Johnny say to Caddie after Harriet punishes her for the prank on Annabelle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Johnny choose to raise Caddie and why? How does this decision affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)