|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Johnny say people are poorer than usual?
2. What does Caddie do when she can't touch the bottom of the river?
3. How old was Johnny when his father died?
4. How does Johnny feel when he hears that Caddie went to the Indian Camp alone?
5. What does Caddie pick at the beginning of the book to bring home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Caddie is late to dinner at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Caddie do with her money while trying to decide what to do with it?
3. What side of the Civil War does Johnny take?
4. What does Johnny tell his sons and hired hands to do when pigeon season arrives?
5. Why does Johnny say he doesn't want his part of the Woodlawn fortune?
6. What bad news does Caddie receive on her birthday?
7. How does Caddie feel about pigeon hunting?
8. What does Edmund want to take Nero for and how does the family react to this request?
9. What do Caddie and her brothers do at the beginning of the book?
10. Why does Johnny allow Caddie to run so free and wild?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Responsibility and coming of age are two interwoven themes. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to move the plot along?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Despair occurs in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)