|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fascinates the Indians about the Woodlawn children?
2. What makes Caddie nervous about crossing the river at the beginning of the book?
3. What is the age of the youngest student in the school?
4. Who is Caddie's best friend?
5. Who does Johnny think is causing trouble with the Indians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Tanner ask Johnny to fix, and why?
2. What is the final tally of the votes?
3. What does Johnny tell his children to do in the summer when they are planning their fun day?
4. What does Hetty say to Caddie the morning after her punishment from Harriet?
5. Into what does Harriet put much of her effort on the farm, and why is this surprising?
6. How does Caddie's mother feel about the Indians?
7. What does Edmund do to make Caddie feel better after her raft falls apart?
8. What does Indian John ask of Caddie before he travels west for a time?
9. What does Harriet say when she comes home after trying to sell turkeys?
10. How do Johnny and Harriet feel when Caddie shows up at the dock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety are two ideas that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how do these affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Edmund is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)