|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johnny feel when he hears that Caddie went to the Indian Camp alone?
2. What does Johnny talk with the dinner guest about after the children go to bed?
3. Who does Johnny think is causing trouble with the Indians?
4. What does Edmund want to train Caddie's dog to do?
5. What does Caddie do that makes the men give her stern looks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What side of the Civil War does Johnny take?
2. What happens when Obediah puts his feet on Maggie's desk?
3. What do Caddie and her brothers do at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Caddie's raft fall apart, and how does she feel when this happens?
5. What does Caddie think about when she goes to bed after hearing her father's story?
6. What interesting items does Caddie find in the attic one day?
7. Why does Mr. Tanner enjoy taking meals at the Woodlawn house?
8. What happens when Caddie tries to fix the circuit rider's clock by herself?
9. What bad news does Caddie receive on her birthday?
10. How does Caddie's mother feel about the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Edmund is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety are two ideas that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how do these affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)