|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Edmund famous for?
2. What makes Caddie nervous about crossing the river at the beginning of the book?
3. How long does Edmund want to keep Caddie's dog?
4. What color is Caddie's hair?
5. What was the occupation of Johnny's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad news does Caddie receive on her birthday?
2. Why does Caddie's raft fall apart, and how does she feel when this happens?
3. How does Caddie feel about pigeon hunting?
4. What does Caddie think about when she goes to bed after hearing her father's story?
5. What side of the Civil War does Johnny take?
6. What is so surprising to the Indians about the Woodlawn children?
7. Into what does Harriet put much of her effort on the farm, and why is this surprising?
8. What happens when Johnny sees Indian John when Caddie is brought home?
9. How do the Woodlawns react to Katie being in their house?
10. What interesting items does Caddie find in the attic one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
This plot took place during the Civil War. How did this historic event shape the main characters in the book?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)