|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Caddie decide to go at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Caddie pick at the beginning of the book to bring home?
3. What makes Caddie nervous about crossing the river at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Johnny say people are poorer than usual?
5. What word does Caddie use to describe the pigeon hunting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Annabelle tries to salt the sheep?
2. Why does Caddie's raft fall apart, and how does she feel when this happens?
3. Why does Johnny allow Caddie to run so free and wild?
4. What happens when the Woodlawns get caught in a storm on the last day of school?
5. How does Caddie celebrate her 12th birthday?
6. What does Robert do when he finds the peep show?
7. What does Harriet do after they get word of the possible Indian uprising?
8. What interesting items does Caddie find in the attic one day?
9. What does Harriet do when Johnny reads her vote, and how do the children respond to this?
10. How does Caddie plan not to eat the turkey sandwiches her mother makes for lunch?
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)