|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund say Harriet has never been able to do?
2. What is Johnny's father's name?
3. How does Caddie feel when she sees who Tom gives the large Valentine to?
4. Where does the community hold its church services?
5. How does Johnny feel about his tomboy daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caddie's raft fall apart, and how does she feel when this happens?
2. What happens when Caddie is late to dinner at the beginning of the book?
3. What happens when Obediah puts his feet on Maggie's desk?
4. How does Caddie plan not to eat the turkey sandwiches her mother makes for lunch?
5. What happens when Caddie is preparing to ride away after hearing a nasty rumor?
6. How does Caddie feel about pigeon hunting?
7. What does Johnny tell his sons and hired hands to do when pigeon season arrives?
8. What bad news does Caddie receive on her birthday?
9. What side of the Civil War does Johnny take?
10. What happens when Caddie tries to fix the circuit rider's clock by herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Johnny choose to raise Caddie and why? How does this decision affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Carol Ryrie Brink have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
How does Tom's relationship with Katie change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)