|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A fire piston, which worked on the principle that air got extremely hot when compressed, might reach over how many degrees Fahrenheit?
2. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
3. What was Hank's view of most people when they snapped photographs?
4. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
5. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. How did Jim describe weather signs?
4. What was noted about blisters?
5. What were the things Jim noted about July?
6. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
7. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
8. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
9. What did Jim describe about tent options?
10. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jim know that the sap had begun? What processes did he, Hank, and Chief Tibeash follow in collecting sap and producing syrup and sugar? How did their ways differ from earlier Indian approaches? What recommendations were offered? What RESPECTIVE quantities of sap did it take to yield a gallon of syrup and a pound of sugar?
Essay Topic 2
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 3
What components did Jim construct a bread knife from? What alternative elements could be substituted? Discuss the steps to be followed in making it.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)