|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The kerf of a tree was a reference to what?
2. It was said that mosquito netting was too course to keep out what?
3. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
4. A fire piston, which worked on the principle that air got extremely hot when compressed, might reach over how many degrees Fahrenheit?
5. What toys did Chief Tibeash and his brothers whittle as boys for use in the winter on the lakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
2. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
3. What was noted about blisters?
4. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
5. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
6. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
7. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
8. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
9. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
10. What were the things Jim noted about July?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
Essay Topic 3
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)