|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
2. What was recommended about magnetizing needles?
3. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
4. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
5. Some brilliant colors of male birds in June change to what by winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim describe about tent options?
2. What was noted about blisters?
3. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
4. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
5. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
6. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
7. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
8. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
9. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
10. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter, Jim explained how he stumbled onto Cache Lake after having canoed and portaged between perhaps 1,000 other sites prior. What was it that captured his attention? Why was he determined to return? Elaborate on how various circumstances resulted in his returning so quickly and building his cabin.
Essay Topic 2
Jim preferred a birch bark canoe to a manufactured version. How was he able to make such a canoe? What techniques were necessary to repair and maintain a canoe constructed of birch bark? How was a canoe made from birch bark used in a different manner than a manufactured version?
Essay Topic 3
Jim compared a couple of hammocks. Identify the components to be used and the steps to be followed in the construction of a barrel-stave hammock. How did he compare it with a Brazilian version a friend gave him?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)