|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The kerf of a tree was a reference to what?
2. What did Hank once make a model of?
3. Jim built a pot that made a little fuel go far like one he read about used in what country where a handful of grass cooked a whole pot of stew?
4. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
5. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. What were the things Jim noted about July?
4. How did Jim describe weather signs?
5. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
6. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
7. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
8. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
9. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
10. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)