|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
2. An unpleasant smell that sometimes indicated the approach of nasty weather was the rainy, earthy odor noticed prior, especially where?
3. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
4. What was Chief Tibeash searching for when he tested the water in a stream by periodically sticking his hand in?
5. Conifers bear evergreen needles and cones, while deciduous shed leaves annually. Which 3 were called "deciduous conifer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
2. What was noted about blisters?
3. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
4. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
5. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
6. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
7. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
8. What were the things Jim noted about July?
9. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
10. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jim view patience as a necessary capacity required to live together with the Indians? How did they view time? How were they capable of acting with astonishing speed without rushing around?
Essay Topic 2
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
Essay Topic 3
Jim's' lake had no name when he initially arrived, but he eventually bestowed the name Cache Lake upon it after having given it much thought. What were the reasons he selected that name?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)