|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was noted that logging was not what it was 40 years ago when, a time when what were used?
2. How many steps were diagrammed as the procedure for a single individual to shoulder a canoe?
3. Snowshoe rabbits were very alert for owls, foxes, and weasels, but sometimes a sound similar to what marked a rabbit's end?
4. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
5. Chief Tibeash dried fish in the sun, removed the gills and eyes, then wrapped them well separated in dry moss to keep them for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
2. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
3. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
4. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
5. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
6. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
7. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
8. How did Jim describe weather signs?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. What did Jim describe about tent options?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What components did Jim construct a bread knife from? What alternative elements could be substituted? Discuss the steps to be followed in making it.
Essay Topic 2
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
Essay Topic 3
As anyone could get lost, Jim stressed the benefit of a compass. What were means of improvising a compass if one was not available? How were various natural guides used to aid in the determination of direction? What was the guideline Jim recommended before one set out?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)