|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
2. How much flour was recommended could be substituted per each loaf of bread taken for a week's venture?
3. How many steps were shown in how to heft a heavy pack onto one's back?
4. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
5. What was recommended about magnetizing needles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
2. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
3. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
4. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
5. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
6. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
7. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
8. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
9. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
10. How did Jim describe weather signs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jim elaborate on the clear skies of a northern February night? What did he relate about the moonlight of that month? What were the traditional patterns the stars formed that he discussed? What did he convey about the Indian patterns he liked better?
Essay Topic 2
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 3
Jim compared a couple of hammocks. Identify the components to be used and the steps to be followed in the construction of a barrel-stave hammock. How did he compare it with a Brazilian version a friend gave him?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)