|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim built a pot that made a little fuel go far like one he read about used in what country where a handful of grass cooked a whole pot of stew?
2. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
3. It was recommended that any bacon taken was lean for what reason?
4. Jim like a balsam bed when he camped, but suggested one might use what?
5. Jim ranked his fishing skills from best to worst in what order?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
2. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
3. What was noted about blisters?
4. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
5. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
6. What did Jim describe about tent options?
7. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
8. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
9. What were the things Jim noted about July?
10. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
Essay Topic 3
Jim compared a couple of hammocks. Identify the components to be used and the steps to be followed in the construction of a barrel-stave hammock. How did he compare it with a Brazilian version a friend gave him?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)