|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
2. When shoes began to chafe, what was suggested as a means to prevent the almost certain accompanying blister?
3. September days were described as often having been clear and feeling what?
4. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
5. It was recommended that any bacon taken was lean for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the things Jim noted about July?
2. How did Jim describe weather signs?
3. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
4. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
5. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
6. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
7. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
8. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
9. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
10. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
Essay Topic 2
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 3
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)