Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea was it to construct a "scrap-pile radio" from odds and ends found around a north woods camp that was diagrammed?
2. How many steps were diagrammed as the procedure for a single individual to shoulder a canoe?
3. September days were described as often having been clear and feeling what?
4. What was Hank's view of most people when they snapped photographs?
5. The kerf of a tree was a reference to what?
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
Why did Jim view patience as a necessary capacity required to live together with the Indians? How did they view time? How were they capable of acting with astonishing speed without rushing around?
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)