|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim noted he always took along what item on long canoe trips?
2. It was suggested that "butterflies seem to dress to suit" what?
3. Although hard on the shoulders, how was it suggested paddles might be lashed for portaging a canoe?
4. An unpleasant smell that sometimes indicated the approach of nasty weather was the rainy, earthy odor noticed prior, especially where?
5. Striking two chunks of pyrite yielded sparks that could kindle a fire, and iron pyrite was commonly called what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
How did Jim know that the sap had begun? What processes did he, Hank, and Chief Tibeash follow in collecting sap and producing syrup and sugar? How did their ways differ from earlier Indian approaches? What recommendations were offered? What RESPECTIVE quantities of sap did it take to yield a gallon of syrup and a pound of sugar?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)