|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was said that mosquito netting was too course to keep out what?
2. Pictures of what animals were noted to be about the most difficult to get?
3. What did the beavers store in the mud beneath their ponds as food for the winter?
4. Striking two chunks of pyrite yielded sparks that could kindle a fire, and iron pyrite was commonly called what?
5. When shoes began to chafe, what was suggested as a means to prevent the almost certain accompanying blister?
Essay Topic 1
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 2
As anyone could get lost, Jim stressed the benefit of a compass. What were means of improvising a compass if one was not available? How were various natural guides used to aid in the determination of direction? What was the guideline Jim recommended before one set out?
Essay Topic 3
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)