|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chief Tibeash searching for when he tested the water in a stream by periodically sticking his hand in?
2. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
3. What was Hank's view of most people when they snapped photographs?
4. What did Hank once make a model of?
5. What were the woods described as having been like in July?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
2. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
3. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
4. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
5. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
6. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
7. What was noted about blisters?
8. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
9. How did Jim describe weather signs?
10. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
Jim's' lake had no name when he initially arrived, but he eventually bestowed the name Cache Lake upon it after having given it much thought. What were the reasons he selected that name?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)