|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chief Tibeash planned a trip he would go and look at the grass just before he turned in at night for what reason?
2. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
3. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
4. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
5. Although hard on the shoulders, how was it suggested paddles might be lashed for portaging a canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
2. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
3. What did Jim describe about tent options?
4. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
5. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
6. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
7. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
8. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. How did Jim describe weather signs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jim view patience as a necessary capacity required to live together with the Indians? How did they view time? How were they capable of acting with astonishing speed without rushing around?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter, Jim explained how he stumbled onto Cache Lake after having canoed and portaged between perhaps 1,000 other sites prior. What was it that captured his attention? Why was he determined to return? Elaborate on how various circumstances resulted in his returning so quickly and building his cabin.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)