Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim stated he one day hoped to glue together thin strips of white holly and dark wood into a block to carve a what?
2. What did the term "cache" mean?
3. Great horned mother owls have nested in late February with the young beneath the mother's wings and covered in what color fuzz?
4. Jim's memories of his grandmother having read to him as a youngster from "Swiss Family Robinson" were always stirred by what?
5. Jim described how he made a bread knife from what type of blade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
2. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
3. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
4. What did Jim, Hank, and Chief Tibeash decorate outside every Christmas?
5. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
6. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
7. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
8. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
Essay Topic 1
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter, Jim explained how he stumbled onto Cache Lake after having canoed and portaged between perhaps 1,000 other sites prior. What was it that captured his attention? Why was he determined to return? Elaborate on how various circumstances resulted in his returning so quickly and building his cabin.
Essay Topic 3
How did Jim elaborate on the clear skies of a northern February night? What did he relate about the moonlight of that month? What were the traditional patterns the stars formed that he discussed? What did he convey about the Indian patterns he liked better?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)