|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What birds were seen as they first flew up and struck weed tops, and then settled and fed on seeds that fell in the snow?
2. Why did the cold in the north country not feel as uncomfortable as that further south if the right clothes were worn?
3. How did Chief Tibeash regard Hank?
4. Along the edge of Cache Lake to the south grew alder side by side with fish-net willows and what else?
5. Jim chose what site on Cache Lake for his cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
2. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
3. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
4. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
5. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
6. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
7. What did Jim describe he did with his canoe in March?
8. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
9. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
10. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 2
Jim was proud of making do with what he had at hand, and he frequently constructed things himself. Consider how his book reflected this. What were various examples of when and how he employed this style?
Essay Topic 3
Jim's' lake had no name when he initially arrived, but he eventually bestowed the name Cache Lake upon it after having given it much thought. What were the reasons he selected that name?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)