|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim's memories of his grandmother having read to him as a youngster from "Swiss Family Robinson" were always stirred by what?
2. What lightweight metal was recommended for use inside a leather axe sheath to protect it and the blade?
3. Jim stated he one day hoped to glue together thin strips of white holly and dark wood into a block to carve a what?
4. Jim viewed frogs to be good for what?
5. The man who tamed the moose to pull him around came into town on Saturday nights and tied up, then smoked what as people stared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
2. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
3. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
4. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
5. What was noted about March regarding animals?
6. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
7. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
8. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
9. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
10. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What procedures were described as basics for ice fishing? What minimal equipment was necessary and how was it to be utilized? Once caught, what procedure was related as to how uncooked fish could be frozen?
Essay Topic 2
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 3
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)