|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the sap was running freely, how many gallons were obtained per day from a good tree?
2. What birds were seen as they first flew up and struck weed tops, and then settled and fed on seeds that fell in the snow?
3. What Indian game was diagrammed and described that Chief Tibeash was a champion of as a boy, and shot stones and arrows?
4. What was the term used when the early morning mist that hung over the lake was referred to?
5. The scent of what animals troubled deer and moose the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
2. What sort of month was May for Jim?
3. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
4. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
5. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
6. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
7. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
8. What was noted about March regarding animals?
9. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
10. What story did Jim relate about a lumberjack he identified as Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim compared a couple of hammocks. Identify the components to be used and the steps to be followed in the construction of a barrel-stave hammock. How did he compare it with a Brazilian version a friend gave him?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Jim view patience as a necessary capacity required to live together with the Indians? How did they view time? How were they capable of acting with astonishing speed without rushing around?
Essay Topic 3
Jim preferred a birch bark canoe to a manufactured version. How was he able to make such a canoe? What techniques were necessary to repair and maintain a canoe constructed of birch bark? How was a canoe made from birch bark used in a different manner than a manufactured version?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)