|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim made bait rods for fishing from what in February?
2. Jim viewed frogs to be good for what?
3. Jim recalled one Thanksgiving he shared with Chief Tibeash and Hank where what was the only thing wrong?
4. What was the Indian term for partridges?
5. It was noted that when one worked hard in the woods, it brought with it a natural craving for what taste preference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
2. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
3. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
4. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
5. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
6. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
7. How did Jim discover Cache Lake?
8. What sort of month was May for Jim?
9. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
10. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
What procedures were described as basics for ice fishing? What minimal equipment was necessary and how was it to be utilized? Once caught, what procedure was related as to how uncooked fish could be frozen?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)