|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was served at the January picnic under the big spruce?
2. What was the easiest route to follow in the north country during the winter?
3. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
4. Along the edge of Cache Lake to the south grew alder side by side with fish-net willows and what else?
5. What was described as a good way to store fish in the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
2. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
3. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
4. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
5. What did Jim describe he did with his canoe in March?
6. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
7. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
8. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
9. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
10. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 2
How did Jim elaborate on the clear skies of a northern February night? What did he relate about the moonlight of that month? What were the traditional patterns the stars formed that he discussed? What did he convey about the Indian patterns he liked better?
Essay Topic 3
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)