|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Indians built canoes of birch bark, they sealed the seams with a pitch made from what?
2. Jim recommended which tool as the most valuable in the woods?
3. Jim made bait rods for fishing from what in February?
4. What did the term "cache" mean?
5. Mal de raquette was another term for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it noted suits of comfortable, heavy woolen lumberman's underwear frequently felt cold after they were washed?
2. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
3. What was noted about birds that wintered in the north woods?
4. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
5. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
6. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
7. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
8. What were the things Jim noted about July?
9. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
10. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 2
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how Jim raised Tripper. What was his purpose in obtaining this dog? What steps did he go through in raising Tripper for that function? How did Jim accomplish his goal given that Old Wolf was still on hand?
This section contains 1,726 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)