|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was described as the greatest mistake a man could make leaving camp without doing?
2. How many different ways to construct a candle lantern from a can were diagrammed?
3. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
4. Jim obtained the speeds for a wind gauge he built when he tested it in what manner?
5. What trees in the swamps sheltered the deer and moose during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was noted about March regarding animals?
2. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
3. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
4. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
5. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
6. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
7. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
8. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
9. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
10. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter, Jim explained how he stumbled onto Cache Lake after having canoed and portaged between perhaps 1,000 other sites prior. What was it that captured his attention? Why was he determined to return? Elaborate on how various circumstances resulted in his returning so quickly and building his cabin.
Essay Topic 2
Jim stipulated that canoe paddles varied as people did, and he had recommendations as to how one should be constructed. What requirements did he stipulate regarding the "blank" from which a paddle was to be made? What were dimensions of different paddle types? What tools were used? What were the steps involved? What did Rowlands advise about the care of a paddle?
Essay Topic 3
How did Jim elaborate on the clear skies of a northern February night? What did he relate about the moonlight of that month? What were the traditional patterns the stars formed that he discussed? What did he convey about the Indian patterns he liked better?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)