|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was recommended as the first step in making one's initial pair of moccasins from moose hide?
2. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
3. How was dynamite used to break up a log jam?
4. The man who tamed the moose to pull him around came into town on Saturday nights and tied up, then smoked what as people stared?
5. How was Chief Tibeash's hunting sled curved up in the front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
2. What was it Jim advised everyone to avoid getting lost?
3. What was noted about March regarding animals?
4. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
5. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
6. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
7. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
8. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
9. What were Jim's plans for his garden in April?
10. What fundamental information did Jim relate about wolves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how Jim raised Tripper. What was his purpose in obtaining this dog? What steps did he go through in raising Tripper for that function? How did Jim accomplish his goal given that Old Wolf was still on hand?
Essay Topic 2
What components did Jim construct a bread knife from? What alternative elements could be substituted? Discuss the steps to be followed in making it.
Essay Topic 3
As anyone could get lost, Jim stressed the benefit of a compass. What were means of improvising a compass if one was not available? How were various natural guides used to aid in the determination of direction? What was the guideline Jim recommended before one set out?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)