|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The partridges were said to make a thumping sound that escalated increasingly from a slow drumming to a strange noise similar to what?
2. What was used as a measuring wheel to construct a rough map?
3. Cree Indians viewed the Big Dipper (part of Ursa Major) as the Great Bear constellation, and the three stars in the handle as what?
4. What were the little wooden pipes used to tap sugar maples for sap called?
5. Jim made bait rods for fishing from what in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim discover Cache Lake?
2. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
3. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
4. What fundamental information did Jim relate about wolves?
5. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
6. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
7. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
8. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
9. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
10. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 2
What components did Jim construct a bread knife from? What alternative elements could be substituted? Discuss the steps to be followed in making it.
Essay Topic 3
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)