|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Jim knew it would not be long after the ice broke up that what would happen?
2. What was viewed as the biggest mistake individuals could make regarding their compasses?
3. What type of rivets did Hank use when he made a new sheath for his hunting knife?
4. How many northern lakes had author John J. "Jim" Rowlands said he had seen when he happened upon Cache Lake?
5. What trees in the swamps sheltered the deer and moose during the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was noted about March regarding animals?
2. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
3. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
4. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
5. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
6. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
7. What was the relevance of time for Jim at Cache Lake?
8. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
9. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
10. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim's' lake had no name when he initially arrived, but he eventually bestowed the name Cache Lake upon it after having given it much thought. What were the reasons he selected that name?
Essay Topic 2
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 3
How did Jim elaborate on the clear skies of a northern February night? What did he relate about the moonlight of that month? What were the traditional patterns the stars formed that he discussed? What did he convey about the Indian patterns he liked better?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)