|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the term "cache" mean?
2. Hank sometimes made his own candles when he used the bark slipped from what small decayed saplings to mold them?
3. Jim made bait rods for fishing from what in February?
4. What was Tripper given a piece of to chew on virtually endlessly?
5. What Indian game was diagrammed and described that Chief Tibeash was a champion of as a boy, and shot stones and arrows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was noted about March regarding animals?
2. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
3. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
4. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
5. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
6. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
7. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
8. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
9. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
10. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim was proud of making do with what he had at hand, and he frequently constructed things himself. Consider how his book reflected this. What were various examples of when and how he employed this style?
Essay Topic 2
Jim's' lake had no name when he initially arrived, but he eventually bestowed the name Cache Lake upon it after having given it much thought. What were the reasons he selected that name?
Essay Topic 3
What was a heliograph used for? What steps did Jim detail were to be taken to construct a heliograph from components on hand? In what manner was a heliograph to be utilized?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)