|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Chief Tibeash?
2. Jim constructed new furniture during the rainy season in April and provided a diagram to show how he built what?
3. What was served at the January picnic under the big spruce?
4. What was viewed as the biggest mistake individuals could make regarding their compasses?
5. What was suggested as the first step to dry moccasins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
2. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
3. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
4. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
5. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
6. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
7. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
8. What sort of month was May for Jim?
9. What were Jim's plans for his garden in April?
10. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Jim know that the sap had begun? What processes did he, Hank, and Chief Tibeash follow in collecting sap and producing syrup and sugar? How did their ways differ from earlier Indian approaches? What recommendations were offered? What RESPECTIVE quantities of sap did it take to yield a gallon of syrup and a pound of sugar?
Essay Topic 2
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
Essay Topic 3
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
This section contains 1,784 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)