|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim's grandfather, a seafaring man, frequently related that those who ventured out without what in their boats were foolish?
2. How did Chief Tibeash regard Hank?
3. Jim chose what site on Cache Lake for his cabin?
4. In Chapter 5, Jim knew it would not be long after the ice broke up that what would happen?
5. Why were the wolves on the move in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
2. How did Jim discover Cache Lake?
3. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
4. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
5. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
6. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
7. What sort of month was May for Jim?
8. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
9. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
10. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Jim view patience as a necessary capacity required to live together with the Indians? How did they view time? How were they capable of acting with astonishing speed without rushing around?
Essay Topic 2
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 3
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)