|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
2. Spring was a good time for casting animal tracks as the wet ground made nice prints, especially when found where?
3. What was related to have been some of the fun when ice fishing?
4. Jim, who favored what particular bird types, together with Hank made specific styles of houses to attract those they liked?
5. What was the term used when the early morning mist that hung over the lake was referred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was noted about March regarding animals?
2. What sort of month was May for Jim?
3. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
4. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
5. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
6. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
7. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
8. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
9. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
10. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What procedures were described as basics for ice fishing? What minimal equipment was necessary and how was it to be utilized? Once caught, what procedure was related as to how uncooked fish could be frozen?
Essay Topic 2
Jim preferred a birch bark canoe to a manufactured version. How was he able to make such a canoe? What techniques were necessary to repair and maintain a canoe constructed of birch bark? How was a canoe made from birch bark used in a different manner than a manufactured version?
Essay Topic 3
Living in the outdoors, Jim relied heavily on being prepared. What techniques did he follow for being ready to camp in the winter? What equipment did he bring with him? What was he able to obtain at his campsite? What skills made it comfortable and safe to camp in winter snow and cold?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)