|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Indians in the north country believed what had a spirit?
2. Beyond wire springs, a diagram of one way a leather camp bellows could be made indicated what might be used to keep them expanded?
3. Jim chose what site on Cache Lake for his cabin?
4. Mal de raquette was another term for what?
5. What did Jim relate was the reason it had been difficult to find Chief Tibeash despite his many efforts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim discover Cache Lake?
2. What was noted about March regarding animals?
3. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
4. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
5. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
6. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
7. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
8. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
9. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
10. What were Jim's plans for his garden in April?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John J. "Jim" Rowlands noted in the Foreword to the Wilderness Edition of his book: "Many readers of Cache Lake Country have told me that its simple philosophy--our way of thinking to get the best out of life--has been helpful in easing the tensions of the hard fast pace of modern civilization." Identify and expound on various examples where this technique was employed by the author.
Essay Topic 2
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
Essay Topic 3
As anyone could get lost, Jim stressed the benefit of a compass. What were means of improvising a compass if one was not available? How were various natural guides used to aid in the determination of direction? What was the guideline Jim recommended before one set out?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)