|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The French Canadian ovens described were made of mortar or clay on a cedar log or stone foundation, and were built how tall?
2. What Indian game was diagrammed and described that Chief Tibeash was a champion of as a boy, and shot stones and arrows?
3. What were snow goggles?
4. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
5. What was used as a measuring wheel to construct a rough map?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Jim's plans for his garden in April?
2. What sort of month was May for Jim?
3. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
4. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
5. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
6. How was Chief Tibeash identified as the headman of his tribe?
7. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
8. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
9. What fundamental information did Jim relate about wolves?
10. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was it that Jim found April to be an ideal month to cast animal tracks? What was it he used the casts for? What steps did he follow and materials did he utilize to successfully cast these tracks?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the bear hunt that Jim went on with Chief Tibeash and two young Indians. What was different in regard to the manner that Chief Tibeash approached the hunt? How did he view the bear and other animals? What was significant regarding the Chief's actions subsequent to killing the bear?
Essay Topic 3
As anyone could get lost, Jim stressed the benefit of a compass. What were means of improvising a compass if one was not available? How were various natural guides used to aid in the determination of direction? What was the guideline Jim recommended before one set out?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)