|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
(a) Shortly after 3 a.m.
(b) Shortly before sunrise.
(c) After breakfast around 8 a.m.
(d) Shortly after sunrise.
2. Conifers bear evergreen needles and cones, while deciduous shed leaves annually. Which 3 were called "deciduous conifer"?
(a) Larch, western juniper, and black fir.
(b) Northern pine, balsam fir, and weeping willow.
(c) Tamarack, hackmatack, and black larch.
(d) Balsam fir, eastern hemlock, and tamarack.
3. When traveling in August, what food was suggested one could rely on obtaining by "living off the land" to supplement rations taken?
(a) Fruits, nuts, and some vegetation.
(b) All meat and fish.
(d) All meat, fish, fruits, and vegetation.
4. How long was a side of bacon hung in the smokehouse?
(a) 12-24 hours.
(b) 6-12 hours.
(c) Several days.
(d) 1 full week.
5. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
(a) The end.
(b) Just prior to a trip.
(c) The beginning.
(d) The midday.
Short Answer Questions
1. It took both patience and time to tame a wild animal, so what was suggested?
2. A harness of what type hide was made for Tripper to get him adjusted to pulling a sled by initially pulling a dead spruce piece?
3. Jim noted he always took along what item on long canoe trips?
4. What was the main rule in a form of football that Indians played with a wood chip initially buried in an area between 2 goal sticks at each end?
5. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
2. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
3. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
4. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
5. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
6. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
7. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
8. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)