|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was August identified as the most favorable time for traveling in the north woods?
(a) Black flies, mosquitoes, and midges were nearly gone.
(b) The weather tended to be comfortable with cooling days.
(c) It was the harvest season with cool days and nights.
(d) Days and nights were warm and usually settled.
2. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
(a) "Mirror of the sky above."
(b) "A grassy place in the water."
(c) "Peace beneath the falls."
(d) "A sandy shore all around."
3. Although hard on the shoulders, how was it suggested paddles might be lashed for portaging a canoe?
(a) Centered perpendicular to the sides with handle ends on same side.
(b) Centered crisscross with handle ends on opposite sides.
(c) Parallel to the sides with handle ends in same direction,
(d) Parallel to the sides with handle ends in opposite direction.
4. It was suggested that "butterflies seem to dress to suit" what?
(a) The time of day.
(b) The season.
(c) The temperature.
(d) The amount of sun.
5. Jim tried to do what if a thunderstorm came up when he was on the lake in his canoe?
(a) Head for the center of the lake, balance himself and cover up.
(b) Remain on the lake, lay in his canoe, and bail when it passed.
(c) Head for shore, pull into an open clearing, and stay close to the ground.
(d) Head for shore, pull into heavy cover, and get under it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was described as the best hour a summer day offered?
2. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
3. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
4. Jim related how he once capsized when he canoed about 5 days out from civilization, but he kept his matches dry how?
5. It was noted that logging was not what it was 40 years ago when, a time when what were used?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)