|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the woods described as having been like in July?
(a) Dry, hot, and noisy.
(b) Dry, hot, and quiet.
(c) Dry, cool, and quiet.
(d) Wet, hot, and quiet.
2. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
(a) Dozens of rabbits, deer, skunks, and several bear.
(b) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, porcupines, and two bear.
(c) A few rabbits, deer, porcupines, a moose and two bear.
(d) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, snakes, and several bear.
3. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
(a) "Peace beneath the falls."
(b) "Mirror of the sky above."
(c) "A sandy shore all around."
(d) "A grassy place in the water."
4. A harness of what type hide was made for Tripper to get him adjusted to pulling a sled by initially pulling a dead spruce piece?
5. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
(a) Shortly before sunrise.
(b) Shortly after sunrise.
(c) After breakfast around 8 a.m.
(d) Shortly after 3 a.m.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim noted that Chief Tibeash eyed everything when on the trail and walked as quietly as what animal?
2. Jim like a balsam bed when he camped, but suggested one might use what?
3. Jim noted the distance from his cabin to Faraway See Hill, where he and Chief Tibeash looked over the fall colors annually, was what?
4. When traveling in August, what food was suggested one could rely on obtaining by "living off the land" to supplement rations taken?
5. Benasee Jewan, the Indian term for September, meant what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
4. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
5. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
6. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
7. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
8. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
9. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
10. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)