|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When traveling in August, what food was suggested one could rely on obtaining by "living off the land" to supplement rations taken?
(a) All meat and fish.
(c) All meat, fish, fruits, and vegetation.
(d) Fruits, nuts, and some vegetation.
2. What was given as the reason there was always something of interest that went on at Cache Lake?
(a) Chief Tibeash was always teaching a new skill.
(b) Wild animals always provided more to learn about.
(c) It was never known what Hank would do next.
(d) Tripper was a comical treat to have around.
3. What was described as the best hour a summer day offered?
4. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
(a) Dive for fish from the air.
(b) Stay in the trees.
(c) Stay on the water or rocks.
(d) Stay out of the water.
5. What did the beavers store in the mud beneath their ponds as food for the winter?
(a) Young, sweet woods.
(b) Full-grown, dry marsh grasses.
(c) Old, sweet woods.
(d) Fallen, young pine cones..
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was a side of bacon hung in the smokehouse?
2. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
3. What did Chief Tibeash refer to deep-water trolling using copper wire 100 yards long and a single pound sinker?
4. How was a mattress that was ordered from a catalog transported to Cache Lake?
5. It took both patience and time to tame a wild animal, so what was suggested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
2. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
3. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
4. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
5. How did Jim describe weather signs?
6. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
7. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
8. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
9. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
10. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)