|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
(a) Wheels on snow-cushioned lake ice.
(b) Skis on snow-cleared lake ice.
(c) Skis on snow-cushioned lake ice.
(d) Wheels on snow-cleared lake ice.
2. An unpleasant smell that sometimes indicated the approach of nasty weather was the rainy, earthy odor noticed prior, especially where?
(a) Along a rocky, quickly moving rivers.
(b) On high, heavily wooded ridge lines.
(c) Near marshy places or muddy ponds.
(d) On high, open watersheds.
3. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
(a) East for coastal waters.
(b) South for warmer weather.
(c) West for caves.
(d) North for trapping grounds.
4. What was recommended about magnetizing needles?
(a) Do small ones north-south, large ones south-north.
(b) Always do all of them in the same direction.
(c) Do large ones north-south, small ones south-north.
(d) Always magnetize but the direction did not matter.
5. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
(a) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, porcupines, and two bear.
(b) A few rabbits, deer, porcupines, a moose and two bear.
(c) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, snakes, and several bear.
(d) Dozens of rabbits, deer, skunks, and several bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. A pair of canoes were sometimes lashed together how far apart with saplings across the stern and forward thwarts?
2. When traveling in August, what food was suggested one could rely on obtaining by "living off the land" to supplement rations taken?
3. Tiger, black, and spicebush swallowtails were three types of what depicted in the chapter covering July?
4. It was said that mosquito netting was too course to keep out what?
5. Chief Tibeash said the herring gulls in their region were apt to do what when a storm approached?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
2. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
3. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
4. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
5. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
6. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
7. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
8. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
9. What was noted about blisters?
10. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)