|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. An unpleasant smell that sometimes indicated the approach of nasty weather was the rainy, earthy odor noticed prior, especially where?
(a) On high, heavily wooded ridge lines.
(b) Near marshy places or muddy ponds.
(c) On high, open watersheds.
(d) Along a rocky, quickly moving rivers.
2. Striking two chunks of pyrite yielded sparks that could kindle a fire, and iron pyrite was commonly called what?
(a) Fool's Gold.
(b) Sparkling Gold.
(c) Yellow Gold.
(d) 2 Karat Gold.
3. Conifers bear evergreen needles and cones, while deciduous shed leaves annually. Which 3 were called "deciduous conifer"?
(a) Tamarack, hackmatack, and black larch.
(b) Balsam fir, eastern hemlock, and tamarack.
(c) Larch, western juniper, and black fir.
(d) Northern pine, balsam fir, and weeping willow.
4. It was noted that logging was not what it was 40 years ago when, a time when what were used?
(b) Big horses.
5. Tiger, black, and spicebush swallowtails were three types of what depicted in the chapter covering July?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was described as the best hour a summer day offered?
2. What did Chief Tibeash refer to deep-water trolling using copper wire 100 yards long and a single pound sinker?
3. Pictures of what animals were noted to be about the most difficult to get?
4. Snowshoe rabbits were very alert for owls, foxes, and weasels, but sometimes a sound similar to what marked a rabbit's end?
5. How many steps were diagrammed as the procedure for a single individual to shoulder a canoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
4. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
5. How did Jim describe weather signs?
6. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
7. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
8. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
9. What were the things Jim noted about July?
10. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)