|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim noted the distance from his cabin to Faraway See Hill, where he and Chief Tibeash looked over the fall colors annually, was what?
(a) 5 miles straightaway, 8 by trail.
(b) 2 miles straightaway, 5 by trail.
(c) 4 miles straightaway, 7 by trail.
(d) 3 miles straightaway, 6 by trail.
2. Jim noted that Chief Tibeash eyed everything when on the trail and walked as quietly as what animal?
(a) An deer.
(b) A coyote.
(c) An ostrich.
(d) A lynx.
3. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
(a) Wood chips.
(c) Pine cones.
4. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
(a) A few rabbits, deer, porcupines, a moose and two bear.
(b) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, snakes, and several bear.
(c) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, porcupines, and two bear.
(d) Dozens of rabbits, deer, skunks, and several bear.
5. It was noted that logging was not what it was 40 years ago when, a time when what were used?
(d) Big horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. When shoes began to chafe, what was suggested as a means to prevent the almost certain accompanying blister?
2. What was given as the reason there was always something of interest that went on at Cache Lake?
3. When he tracked a bear in light snow and saw it wandered here and there, Chief Tibeash said that indicated it had likely done what?
4. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
5. What did Chief Tibeash refer to deep-water trolling using copper wire 100 yards long and a single pound sinker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
2. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
3. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
4. What were the things Jim noted about July?
5. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
6. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
7. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
8. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
9. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
10. How did Jim describe weather signs?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)