|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. June brought with it the first of the Cree families for the summer that came by birch canoe to settle in where?
(a) Snow Goose Lake.
(b) Cache Lake.
(c) Shining Tree Lake.
(d) Beaver Tail Lake.
2. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
3. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
(a) Pine cones.
(c) Wood chips.
4. What was Hank's view of most people when they snapped photographs?
(a) They did not keep sunlight behind them.
(b) They were too close.
(c) They were not close enough.
(d) They took too few.
5. Gabby was what type of bird that remained through the winter instead of flying south?
(a) A moosebird.
(b) A barn owl.
(c) A mockingbird.
(d) A goose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
2. A pair of canoes were sometimes lashed together how far apart with saplings across the stern and forward thwarts?
3. It was suggested that "butterflies seem to dress to suit" what?
4. Chief Tibeash dried fish in the sun, removed the gills and eyes, then wrapped them well separated in dry moss to keep them for how long?
5. A harness of what type hide was made for Tripper to get him adjusted to pulling a sled by initially pulling a dead spruce piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
2. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
3. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
4. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
5. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
6. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
7. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
8. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
9. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
10. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)