|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
(a) Shortly after sunrise.
(b) After breakfast around 8 a.m.
(c) Shortly before sunrise.
(d) Shortly after 3 a.m.
2. When he tracked a bear in light snow and saw it wandered here and there, Chief Tibeash said that indicated it had likely done what?
(a) Explored for food.
(b) Sought a hibernation spot.
(c) Looked for a missing cub.
(d) Ferreted out a mate.
3. What did Hank once make a model of?
(a) A logging camp.
(b) A birch canoe.
(c) His cabin and trees.
(d) An Indian tepee.
4. September days were described as often having been clear and feeling what?
5. Why was August identified as the most favorable time for traveling in the north woods?
(a) Black flies, mosquitoes, and midges were nearly gone.
(b) Days and nights were warm and usually settled.
(c) The weather tended to be comfortable with cooling days.
(d) It was the harvest season with cool days and nights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
2. Some brilliant colors of male birds in June change to what by winter?
3. Jim noted he always took along what item on long canoe trips?
4. A harness of what type hide was made for Tripper to get him adjusted to pulling a sled by initially pulling a dead spruce piece?
5. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. What did Jim describe about tent options?
4. How did Jim describe weather signs?
5. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
6. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
7. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
8. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
9. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
10. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)