|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some brilliant colors of male birds in June change to what by winter?
(a) They do not even appear like the same bird.
(b) They remain the same once they are fully grown.
(c) They diminish somewhat in their colors.
(d) They become even more intense in splendor.
2. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
(a) South for warmer weather.
(b) East for coastal waters.
(c) West for caves.
(d) North for trapping grounds.
3. A fire piston, which worked on the principle that air got extremely hot when compressed, might reach over how many degrees Fahrenheit?
4. Benasee Jewan, the Indian term for September, meant what?
(a) "The Moon When the Birds Fly Away."
(b) "The Northern Lights Begin to Play."
(c) "The Leaves Change Color and Fall."
(d) "The Moon Before Snow Arrives."
5. Whose idea was it to construct a "scrap-pile radio" from odds and ends found around a north woods camp that was diagrammed?
(b) Chief Tibeash.
(c) Mr. Beedee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
2. Diagrams and instructions were provided on how to construct what pair of aids for making one's way across the frozen lakes?
3. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
4. What did Hank once make a model of?
5. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
2. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
3. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
4. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
5. How did Jim describe weather signs?
6. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
7. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
8. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
9. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
10. What were the things Jim noted about July?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)