|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When traveling in August, what food was suggested one could rely on obtaining by "living off the land" to supplement rations taken?
(a) All meat, fish, fruits, and vegetation.
(b) All meat and fish.
(d) Fruits, nuts, and some vegetation.
2. When Chief Tibeash planned a trip he would go and look at the grass just before he turned in at night for what reason?
(a) A sign of dew indicated the weather may turn wet in the evening.
(b) No sign of dew indicated the weather would likely to be good.
(c) No sign of dew indicated the weather would be okay until midday.
(d) No sign of dew indicated the weather may take a wet turn.
3. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
(a) A few rabbits, deer, porcupines, a moose and two bear.
(b) Dozens of rabbits, deer, skunks, and several bear.
(c) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, porcupines, and two bear.
(d) Hundreds of rabbits, deer, snakes, and several bear.
4. A fire piston, which worked on the principle that air got extremely hot when compressed, might reach over how many degrees Fahrenheit?
5. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
(a) It was among the healthiest.
(b) It took little room and was light.
(c) It mixed well with many foods.
(d) It needed only to be boiled.
Short Answer Questions
1. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
2. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
3. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
4. Jim noted the distance from his cabin to Faraway See Hill, where he and Chief Tibeash looked over the fall colors annually, was what?
5. Jim like a balsam bed when he camped, but suggested one might use what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
2. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
3. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
4. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
5. How did the Indians construct their stilts?
6. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
7. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
8. How did Jim describe weather signs?
9. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
10. What did Jim describe about tent options?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)