|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many steps were shown in how to heft a heavy pack onto one's back?
2. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
(a) Pine cones.
(b) Wood chips.
3. Jim advised that Chief Tibeash instructed him wild animals relied on what 3 senses to protect themselves?
(a) Hearing, sight, and smell.
(b) Sight, smell, and taste.
(c) Sight, smell, and touch.
(d) Hearing, taste, and touch.
4. Jim built a pot that made a little fuel go far like one he read about used in what country where a handful of grass cooked a whole pot of stew?
(a) South Africa.
5. What was given as the reason there was always something of interest that went on at Cache Lake?
(a) Tripper was a comical treat to have around.
(b) Chief Tibeash was always teaching a new skill.
(c) It was never known what Hank would do next.
(d) Wild animals always provided more to learn about.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
2. Jim ranked his fishing skills from best to worst in what order?
3. Jim saw what animals as they escaped not far ahead of a forest fire as it approached a lake he had sought for refuge?
4. When shoes began to chafe, what was suggested as a means to prevent the almost certain accompanying blister?
5. A harness of what type hide was made for Tripper to get him adjusted to pulling a sled by initially pulling a dead spruce piece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
2. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
3. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
4. Why did Jim observe June to have been a good family month in the woods?
5. How did Jim describe weather signs?
6. What did Jim note about their canoes as the men's camping trip approached?
7. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
8. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
9. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
10. What were the things Jim noted about July?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)