|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although hard on the shoulders, how was it suggested paddles might be lashed for portaging a canoe?
(a) Parallel to the sides with handle ends in opposite direction.
(b) Centered perpendicular to the sides with handle ends on same side.
(c) Parallel to the sides with handle ends in same direction,
(d) Centered crisscross with handle ends on opposite sides.
2. Jim like a balsam bed when he camped, but suggested one might use what?
(a) An air mattress.
(b) A folding cot.
(c) A feather bed.
(d) A hammock.
3. Jim noted he always took along what item on long canoe trips?
(a) A leeboard to reduce drift to the leeward side.
(b) A square of oiled balloon cloth for a sail.
(c) Several extra paddles of different lengths.
(d) A tin of pine sap and tar for repairing holes.
4. How was a mattress that was ordered from a catalog transported to Cache Lake?
(a) Stretched centered and lashed atop the wings of a pontoon plane.
(b) Lashed like a horseshoe over the back of a pack mule.
(c) Rolled tightly around a long pole that rested on two men's shoulders.
(d) Rolled tightly inside a pontoon plane cabin.
5. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
(a) Just prior to a trip.
(b) The beginning.
(c) The end.
(d) The midday.
Short Answer Questions
1. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
2. What was Chief Tibeash searching for when he tested the water in a stream by periodically sticking his hand in?
3. A pair of canoes were sometimes lashed together how far apart with saplings across the stern and forward thwarts?
4. Three blasts on the horn made from that of a buffalo was suggested to signal what?
5. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
2. What were the things Jim noted about July?
3. What did Jim note about a deer mouse in his cabin he viewed as his pet?
4. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
5. What was it Chief Tibeash explained to Jim about the tracks of a large dog wolf revealed?
6. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
7. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
8. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
9. What did Jim have to say about fishing on the camping trip with Chief Tibeash and Hank?
10. How was the game of snow-snakes played?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)