|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was it noted the lightning bugs did not fly so much?
(a) In the open places.
(b) Over rocky areas.
(c) Over the open water.
(d) Along the shoreline.
2. Whose idea was it to construct a "scrap-pile radio" from odds and ends found around a north woods camp that was diagrammed?
(b) Mr. Beedee.
(d) Chief Tibeash.
3. Benasee Jewan, the Indian term for September, meant what?
(a) "The Moon When the Birds Fly Away."
(b) "The Northern Lights Begin to Play."
(c) "The Leaves Change Color and Fall."
(d) "The Moon Before Snow Arrives."
4. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
(a) South for warmer weather.
(b) North for trapping grounds.
(c) East for coastal waters.
(d) West for caves.
5. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
(a) "A sandy shore all around."
(b) "Peace beneath the falls."
(c) "A grassy place in the water."
(d) "Mirror of the sky above."
Short Answer Questions
1. September days were described as often having been clear and feeling what?
2. Snowshoe rabbits were very alert for owls, foxes, and weasels, but sometimes a sound similar to what marked a rabbit's end?
3. How was a mattress that was ordered from a catalog transported to Cache Lake?
4. Jim noted he always took along what item on long canoe trips?
5. Instead of the usual runners constructed of split ash, two old skis made of what wood were used for Tripper's sled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Indians that left their summer lake sites generally take back with them to northern trapping grounds?
2. What did Jim note about the two young men who visited Hank by canoe?
3. What was it Jim noted about Hank's black and white pet?
4. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
5. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
6. Chief Tibeash would likely get angry if he was called suspicious, but what was one of his beliefs Jim observed?
7. How did Jim once evade the danger of the woods on fire?
8. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
9. What did Jim stipulate was needed in the way of provisions during a camping trip?
10. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)