|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was served at the January picnic under the big spruce?
(a) Venison steaks, onion rings, potatoes, and biscuits.
(b) Bear steaks, squash, sweet potatoes, and rolls.
(c) Turkey, carrots, salad, and cornbread.
(d) Broiled fish, green beans, dumplings, and pie.
2. It was noted that when one worked hard in the woods, it brought with it a natural craving for what taste preference?
3. How many northern lakes had author John J. "Jim" Rowlands said he had seen when he happened upon Cache Lake?
4. The best area for partridge in the Cache Lake country was said to have been around where?
(a) Jumping Sand Springs.
(b) Manitoupeepagee River.
(c) Faraway See Hill.
(d) Porcupine Ridge.
5. What was described as a good way to store fish in the winter?
(a) Frozen in the ice.
(b) Pickled in vinegar.
(c) Dried and smoked.
(d) Wrapped in leaves and bark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beyond wire springs, a diagram of one way a leather camp bellows could be made indicated what might be used to keep them expanded?
2. What was suggested as the first step to dry moccasins?
3. What did Jim relate was the reason it had been difficult to find Chief Tibeash despite his many efforts?
4. How was dynamite used to break up a log jam?
5. What was related to have been some of the fun when ice fishing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
2. What story did Jim relate about a lumberjack he identified as Sam?
3. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
4. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
5. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
6. What were some points Jim noted about photograph blinds?
7. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
8. What were recommendations about smoked cheese?
9. What did Jim describe about tent options?
10. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)