|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the little wooden pipes used to tap sugar maples for sap called?
2. What was the term used when the early morning mist that hung over the lake was referred to?
(b) "Phantom fog."
(c) "Ghosts' breath."
(d) "Translucent silk."
3. Jim viewed frogs to be good for what?
(a) Fish bait.
(b) Proving yummy frogs legs.
(c) Eating annoying insects.
(d) Providing comfort in their croaks.
4. Along the edge of Cache Lake to the south grew alder side by side with fish-net willows and what else?
(a) Low vine raspberries.
(b) Wild strawberries.
(c) High bush cranberries.
(d) High bush blueberries.
5. Mal de raquette was another term for what?
(a) Snowshoe lameness.
(b) Snow ski pain.
(c) Sprained ankle.
(d) Frostbite of the foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it recommended to leave one's rifle outside the camp in freezing weather instead of bringing it in where it was warm?
2. What birds were seen as they first flew up and struck weed tops, and then settled and fed on seeds that fell in the snow?
3. The stars on February nights were compared with sparkling jewels of what color on a black background?
4. What mythological figure was January named after that had two faces so he could look ahead and behind simultaneously?
5. What was taught as the proper way to land a canoe ashore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
2. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
3. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
4. Why was January a time of rest in nature?
5. What did Jim discuss related to the canoe trip he and his comrades planned?
6. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
7. What was it Jim advised everyone to avoid getting lost?
8. What fundamental information did Jim relate about wolves?
9. What was noted about March regarding animals?
10. What did Jim begin to think about in February?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)