|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many northern lakes had author John J. "Jim" Rowlands said he had seen when he happened upon Cache Lake?
2. Jim's grandfather, a seafaring man, frequently related that those who ventured out without what in their boats were foolish?
(a) A compass.
(b) A flashlight.
(c) A fresh water supply.
(d) A handgun.
3. What was viewed as the biggest mistake individuals could make regarding their compasses?
(a) Set them on logs or stumps.
(b) To become suspicious of them.
(c) Place them on the ground.
(d) Hold them too far away.
4. How long was it from the time Jim initially happened upon Cache Lake until he first returned?
(a) A year.
(b) Several years.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
5. Jim and Hank ventured to the dam located where each spring to determine how the beaver had fared the previous winter?
(a) On Otter Stream.
(b) To Knothole Lake.
(c) On Beaver Tail Lake.
(d) On Caterwaul Creek.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it recommended to leave one's rifle outside the camp in freezing weather instead of bringing it in where it was warm?
2. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
3. Beyond wire springs, a diagram of one way a leather camp bellows could be made indicated what might be used to keep them expanded?
4. What was served at the January picnic under the big spruce?
5. What type of rivets did Hank use when he made a new sheath for his hunting knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
2. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
3. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
4. What was it Jim advised everyone to avoid getting lost?
5. What did Jim relate about the bear hunt he went on with Chief Tibeash in March?
6. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
7. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
8. How did Jim come to construct his cabin on Cache Lake?
9. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
10. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)