|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim stated he one day hoped to glue together thin strips of white holly and dark wood into a block to carve a what?
(b) Panda bear.
2. What did the term "cache" mean?
(a) A semi-permanent encampment.
(b) A canoe made from tree branches, bark, and gum.
(c) A hidden storage place for provisions.
(d) A magnetized piece of metal serving as a compass.
3. Great horned mother owls have nested in late February with the young beneath the mother's wings and covered in what color fuzz?
(a) Snow white.
4. Jim's memories of his grandmother having read to him as a youngster from "Swiss Family Robinson" were always stirred by what?
(a) His whistling kettle when he boiled water.
(b) The creaking of his chair when he rocked in it.
(c) The rain when it dropped on his tin roof.
(d) The breeze when it stirred the trees.
5. Jim described how he made a bread knife from what type of blade?
(a) A bandsaw.
(b) A coping saw.
(c) A hacksaw.
(d) A bucksaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. In April, in the marshy area near the spring, the initial purple and green hoods of what plant would show?
2. The best area for partridge in the Cache Lake country was said to have been around where?
3. Diagrams and discussion reflected which four tools as those essential for wood-carving?
4. What mythological figure was January named after that had two faces so he could look ahead and behind simultaneously?
5. The scent of what animals troubled deer and moose the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
2. What was one way Chief Tibeash liked to demonstrate how good a woodsman he was to Jim?
3. How did Jim view the stars he saw at night?
4. What did Jim, Hank, and Chief Tibeash decorate outside every Christmas?
5. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
6. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
7. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
8. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)