|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Chief Tibeash's hunting sled curved up in the front?
(a) It was soaked on end in about 4-6 inches of cold water.
(b) It was laid upside down over a log with a heavy rock on the the front..
(c) It was steamed slowly over a fire in wet cloth or moss.
(d) It was wedged in-between a tree fork and tied back for pressure.
2. What mythological figure was January named after that had two faces so he could look ahead and behind simultaneously?
3. Jim recalled one Thanksgiving he shared with Chief Tibeash and Hank where what was the only thing wrong?
(a) It was a month late.
(b) It was two weeks early.
(c) It was two weeks late.
(d) It was a week early.
4. What lightweight metal was recommended for use inside a leather axe sheath to protect it and the blade?
(c) Aluminum bronze.
5. In April, in the marshy area near the spring, the initial purple and green hoods of what plant would show?
(a) Skunk cabbages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim chose what site on Cache Lake for his cabin?
2. What was used as a measuring wheel to construct a rough map?
3. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
4. When Indians built canoes of birch bark, they sealed the seams with a pitch made from what?
5. Why were the wolves on the move in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fundamental information did Jim relate about wolves?
2. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
3. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
4. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
5. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
6. What did Jim describe he did with his canoe in March?
7. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
8. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
9. What did those in Cache Lake Country do to obtain sap in March?
10. What observations did Jim provide in regard to camping outdoors in cold weather?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)