|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it recommended to leave one's rifle outside the camp in freezing weather instead of bringing it in where it was warm?
(a) Quickly warmed cold metal sweats and cracks upon returning outside.
(b) Quickly warmed cold metal could fire spontaneously.
(c) Quickly warmed cold metal sweats and chips upon returning outside.
(d) Quickly warmed cold metal sweats and freezes upon returning outside.
2. Jim named his new husky pup Tripper for what reasons?
(a) As a pup he tripped his owner, and later would take many canoe trips.
(b) As a pup he tripped his owner, and later would take many sled trips.
(c) As a pup he tripped about, and later would take many sled trips.
(d) As a pup he tripped about, and tripped anyone near him.
3. How long was it from the time Jim initially happened upon Cache Lake until he first returned?
(a) A year.
(b) Several years.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
4. What was suggested as the first step to dry moccasins?
(a) Stuff them with bent birch twigs.
(b) Scrape out the moisture.
(c) Place them near the stove.
(d) Rub them with moose fat.
5. Jim noted that he generally cached his small canoe where?
(a) On Shining Tree Lake.
(b) On Beaver Tail Lake.
(c) On Snow Goose Lake.
(d) On Cache Lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim recalled one Thanksgiving he shared with Chief Tibeash and Hank where what was the only thing wrong?
2. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
3. What was taught as the proper way to land a canoe ashore?
4. The millions of birds that traveled faced a big problem in keeping fed, and accounts for why most stayed where relative to the front tide line?
5. When Indians built canoes of birch bark, they sealed the seams with a pitch made from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
2. What took place as the weather began to get warmer in March?
3. What did Jim observe about the lumberjacks?
4. What did Jim observe about Chief Tibeash's patience?
5. How did Jim discover Cache Lake?
6. What were Jim's plans for his garden in April?
7. What sort of month was May for Jim?
8. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
9. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
10. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)