|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim named his new husky pup Tripper for what reasons?
(a) As a pup he tripped his owner, and later would take many sled trips.
(b) As a pup he tripped his owner, and later would take many canoe trips.
(c) As a pup he tripped about, and tripped anyone near him.
(d) As a pup he tripped about, and later would take many sled trips.
2. March was the start of the transition into the spring season, one sign of which was what?
(a) First geese as they began to fly north.
(b) Stormy weather that came in like a lamb and went out as a lion.
(c) Red squirrels that chattered from the maple tops.
(d) Deciduous trees began to shed leaves to make way for new buds.
3. The French Canadian ovens described were made of mortar or clay on a cedar log or stone foundation, and were built how tall?
4. What was the Indian term for partridges?
5. How was dynamite used to break up a log jam?
(a) It was thrown from a boat that sped off.
(b) It was dropped from a small plane flying over.
(c) It was tied to a long pole and rammed into it.
(d) It was thrown toward it from the shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Indians in the north country believed what had a spirit?
2. What lightweight metal was recommended for use inside a leather axe sheath to protect it and the blade?
3. What was related to have been some of the fun when ice fishing?
4. What was described as a good way to store fish in the winter?
5. What was the term used when the early morning mist that hung over the lake was referred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it Jim observed about him and his comrades as they made their way in the March snow around Cache Lake?
2. What was the reason Jim carried needles?
3. How did Jim stipulate he went when he traveled?
4. What sort of month was May for Jim?
5. What story did Jim relate about a lumberjack he identified as Sam?
6. How did Jim describe the first time he went alone to try his horn of birch bark to call for moose?
7. What was it Jim advised everyone to avoid getting lost?
8. What was suggested if a fellow got caught during a cold spell with insufficient clothing?
9. Why did Jim view August as among the best times to travel?
10. What was Jim reminded of when May arrived?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)