|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the easiest route to follow in the north country during the winter?
(a) The shorelines.
(b) The ridge lines.
(c) The waterways.
(d) The trails.
2. Hank sometimes made his own candles when he used the bark slipped from what small decayed saplings to mold them?
3. What birds were seen as they first flew up and struck weed tops, and then settled and fed on seeds that fell in the snow?
(b) Snow owls.
(c) Snow geese.
(d) Snow buntings.
4. Jim made bait rods for fishing from what in February?
(a) Old rifle cleaning rods.
(b) Collapsible automobile radio antenas.
(c) Spruce pine sapplings.
(d) Old fencing foils.
5. March was the start of the transition into the spring season, one sign of which was what?
(a) Deciduous trees began to shed leaves to make way for new buds.
(b) First geese as they began to fly north.
(c) Stormy weather that came in like a lamb and went out as a lion.
(d) Red squirrels that chattered from the maple tops.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Chief Tibeash?
2. Jim described how he made a bread knife from what type of blade?
3. Wolves were heard at Cache Lake in February, but not as much as at what other location?
4. Jim named his new husky pup Tripper for what reasons?
5. What was the Indian term for partridges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after Chief Tibeash told Jim about an Indian who owned some husky pups?
2. What happened to the ice in Cache Lake when April arrived?
3. How did Jim take the reader through the change of seasons?
4. What outdoor event untypical for mid-winter did Jim describe?
5. What did Jim and Chief Tibeash agree upon regarding food?
6. What did snowshoe lameness result from?
7. What did Jim describe he did with his canoe in March?
8. What views did Jim have regarding birds that migrated?
9. What did the geologist who visited Jim after two years explain to him?
10. What did Jim recall when he made one visit to Hank's in January?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)