|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What toys did Chief Tibeash and his brothers whittle as boys for use in the winter on the lakes?
(a) Sliding boats.
(d) Sliding sticks.
2. The diagram of the trail cooking outfit showed a metal plate, bowl, cup, and pails made from what metal?
3. Jim, Chief Tibeash, and Hank made their summer trip by canoe to Lake Waweashkashing, which meant what?
(a) "Peace beneath the falls."
(b) "A sandy shore all around."
(c) "A grassy place in the water."
(d) "Mirror of the sky above."
4. Benasee Jewan, the Indian term for September, meant what?
(a) "The Northern Lights Begin to Play."
(b) "The Leaves Change Color and Fall."
(c) "The Moon When the Birds Fly Away."
(d) "The Moon Before Snow Arrives."
5. What did the beavers store in the mud beneath their ponds as food for the winter?
(a) Young, sweet woods.
(b) Full-grown, dry marsh grasses.
(c) Fallen, young pine cones..
(d) Old, sweet woods.
6. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
(a) Skis on snow-cleared lake ice.
(b) Wheels on snow-cleared lake ice.
(c) Wheels on snow-cushioned lake ice.
(d) Skis on snow-cushioned lake ice.
7. How long was a side of bacon hung in the smokehouse?
(a) 1 full week.
(b) Several days.
(c) 6-12 hours.
(d) 12-24 hours.
8. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
(a) Shortly after sunrise.
(b) Shortly before sunrise.
(c) Shortly after 3 a.m.
(d) After breakfast around 8 a.m.
9. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
(a) It was among the healthiest.
(b) It mixed well with many foods.
(c) It needed only to be boiled.
(d) It took little room and was light.
10. How many steps were diagrammed as the procedure for a single individual to shoulder a canoe?
11. When shoes began to chafe, what was suggested as a means to prevent the almost certain accompanying blister?
(a) Rub candle wax on sock where it chafes.
(b) Cover chafing point with a moist green leaf.
(c) Rub candle wax inside shoe where it chafes.
(d) Wear a pair of wool socks over a pair of cotton.
12. It was noted that logging was not what it was 40 years ago when, a time when what were used?
(a) Big horses.
13. Jim noted that Chief Tibeash eyed everything when on the trail and walked as quietly as what animal?
(a) An deer.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A lynx.
(d) An ostrich.
14. Why was August identified as the most favorable time for traveling in the north woods?
(a) Days and nights were warm and usually settled.
(b) It was the harvest season with cool days and nights.
(c) Black flies, mosquitoes, and midges were nearly gone.
(d) The weather tended to be comfortable with cooling days.
15. A cold room in the ground was built of double board walls separated by 2"x4" uprights, and the space between filled with what substance?
(a) Pine cones.
(b) Wood chips.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was said that mosquito netting was too course to keep out what?
2. When he tracked a bear in light snow and saw it wandered here and there, Chief Tibeash said that indicated it had likely done what?
3. What was given as the reason there was always something of interest that went on at Cache Lake?
4. A pair of canoes were sometimes lashed together how far apart with saplings across the stern and forward thwarts?
5. Where was it noted the lightning bugs did not fly so much?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)