|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Teams often left their logging camps around what time, with only the cook and his crew remaining?
(a) Shortly after 3 a.m.
(b) Shortly before sunrise.
(c) Shortly after sunrise.
(d) After breakfast around 8 a.m.
2. Jim related how he once capsized when he canoed about 5 days out from civilization, but he kept his matches dry how?
(a) In a plastic container.
(b) In a sap covered matchbox.
(c) In a wax paper package.
(d) In a small watertight bottle.
3. Some brilliant colors of male birds in June change to what by winter?
(a) They do not even appear like the same bird.
(b) They become even more intense in splendor.
(c) They remain the same once they are fully grown.
(d) They diminish somewhat in their colors.
4. Jim tried to do what if a thunderstorm came up when he was on the lake in his canoe?
(a) Remain on the lake, lay in his canoe, and bail when it passed.
(b) Head for shore, pull into an open clearing, and stay close to the ground.
(c) Head for the center of the lake, balance himself and cover up.
(d) Head for shore, pull into heavy cover, and get under it.
5. What was recommended about magnetizing needles?
(a) Always do all of them in the same direction.
(b) Do large ones north-south, small ones south-north.
(c) Always magnetize but the direction did not matter.
(d) Do small ones north-south, large ones south-north.
6. What did Chief Tibeash refer to deep-water trolling using copper wire 100 yards long and a single pound sinker?
(a) "Ration fishing."
(b) "Supply fishing."
(c) "Provision fishing."
(d) "Stock fishing."
7. Diagrams and instructions were provided on how to construct what pair of aids for making one's way across the frozen lakes?
(a) Ice skates.
(b) Ice boots.
(c) Ice creepers.
(d) Ice climbers.
8. How was a mattress that was ordered from a catalog transported to Cache Lake?
(a) Rolled tightly around a long pole that rested on two men's shoulders.
(b) Lashed like a horseshoe over the back of a pack mule.
(c) Stretched centered and lashed atop the wings of a pontoon plane.
(d) Rolled tightly inside a pontoon plane cabin.
9. What was described as the best hour a summer day offered?
10. Experienced sled dogs were said to work best when fed at what time of day?
(a) The end.
(b) The midday.
(c) Just prior to a trip.
(d) The beginning.
11. Conifers bear evergreen needles and cones, while deciduous shed leaves annually. Which 3 were called "deciduous conifer"?
(a) Larch, western juniper, and black fir.
(b) Northern pine, balsam fir, and weeping willow.
(c) Tamarack, hackmatack, and black larch.
(d) Balsam fir, eastern hemlock, and tamarack.
12. It was said that mosquito netting was too course to keep out what?
(c) Black flies.
13. What was the main rule in a form of football that Indians played with a wood chip initially buried in an area between 2 goal sticks at each end?
(a) Use only toes and feet to dig the chip out and kick it to the goal.
(b) Stay on one foot and use a stick to dig and nudge the chip to the goal.
(c) Use a stick with hands behind to dig and nudge the chip to the goal.
(d) Use only toes to dig the chip out and nudge it with a stick to the goal.
14. Why was August identified as the most favorable time for traveling in the north woods?
(a) Black flies, mosquitoes, and midges were nearly gone.
(b) Days and nights were warm and usually settled.
(c) The weather tended to be comfortable with cooling days.
(d) It was the harvest season with cool days and nights.
15. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
(a) Cherry or redwing birds.
(b) Redbreast or cedar birds.
(c) Cedar or cherry birds.
(d) Redwing or redbreast birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was noted that tree swallows ate what else beyond insects as few other swallows did?
2. What were the woods described as having been like in July?
3. When he tracked a bear in light snow and saw it wandered here and there, Chief Tibeash said that indicated it had likely done what?
4. Jim noted the distance from his cabin to Faraway See Hill, where he and Chief Tibeash looked over the fall colors annually, was what?
5. What did Hank once make a model of?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)