|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The company's plane made its last flight in November until the lake ice was solid and it could land with what equipment?
(a) Skis on snow-cleared lake ice.
(b) Wheels on snow-cushioned lake ice.
(c) Wheels on snow-cleared lake ice.
(d) Skis on snow-cushioned lake ice.
2. Rice was considered an essential ration for what reason?
(a) It needed only to be boiled.
(b) It was among the healthiest.
(c) It took little room and was light.
(d) It mixed well with many foods.
3. Why was August identified as the most favorable time for traveling in the north woods?
(a) Black flies, mosquitoes, and midges were nearly gone.
(b) Days and nights were warm and usually settled.
(c) It was the harvest season with cool days and nights.
(d) The weather tended to be comfortable with cooling days.
4. Jim advised that Chief Tibeash instructed him wild animals relied on what 3 senses to protect themselves?
(a) Sight, smell, and touch.
(b) Hearing, sight, and smell.
(c) Hearing, taste, and touch.
(d) Sight, smell, and taste.
5. What was Hank's "ice boat" constructed from that had his canoe sail rigged to it?
(a) 2 reversed tree crotch ends lashed on the sides and angle iron runners.
(b) 1 4-foot water trough set lengthwise on old skis.
(c) 1 barrel half cut and set lengthwise attached to angle iron rails.
(d) 1 free-standing bathtub set lengthwise to narrow pipe runners.
6. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
(a) Redbreast or cedar birds.
(b) Cherry or redwing birds.
(c) Cedar or cherry birds.
(d) Redwing or redbreast birds.
7. What did Chief Tibeash refer to deep-water trolling using copper wire 100 yards long and a single pound sinker?
(a) "Ration fishing."
(b) "Supply fishing."
(c) "Provision fishing."
(d) "Stock fishing."
8. How was a mattress that was ordered from a catalog transported to Cache Lake?
(a) Rolled tightly around a long pole that rested on two men's shoulders.
(b) Rolled tightly inside a pontoon plane cabin.
(c) Stretched centered and lashed atop the wings of a pontoon plane.
(d) Lashed like a horseshoe over the back of a pack mule.
9. What was it Chief Tibeash suggested Hank's ice boat would be suitable for chasing when these animals crossed the lake?
10. How many steps were diagrammed as the procedure for a single individual to shoulder a canoe?
11. In September, the Indians who had arrived for the summer headed where at this time?
(a) East for coastal waters.
(b) South for warmer weather.
(c) West for caves.
(d) North for trapping grounds.
12. Snowshoe rabbits were very alert for owls, foxes, and weasels, but sometimes a sound similar to what marked a rabbit's end?
(a) The howl of a small hurt dog.
(b) The squeal of a hurt squirrel.
(c) The scream of a hurt child.
(d) The cry of a hurt chicken.
13. Whose idea was it to construct a "scrap-pile radio" from odds and ends found around a north woods camp that was diagrammed?
(b) Chief Tibeash.
(c) Mr. Beedee.
14. What was the main rule in a form of football that Indians played with a wood chip initially buried in an area between 2 goal sticks at each end?
(a) Use a stick with hands behind to dig and nudge the chip to the goal.
(b) Use only toes and feet to dig the chip out and kick it to the goal.
(c) Use only toes to dig the chip out and nudge it with a stick to the goal.
(d) Stay on one foot and use a stick to dig and nudge the chip to the goal.
15. Jim ranked his fishing skills from best to worst in what order?
(a) Fly-casting, trolling, bait rod.
(b) Trolling, bait rod, fly-casting.
(c) Trolling, fly-casting, bait rod.
(d) Bait rod, fly-casting, troling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What toys did Chief Tibeash and his brothers whittle as boys for use in the winter on the lakes?
2. How long was a side of bacon hung in the smokehouse?
3. It was noted that tree swallows ate what else beyond insects as few other swallows did?
4. Striking two chunks of pyrite yielded sparks that could kindle a fire, and iron pyrite was commonly called what?
5. The diagram of the trail cooking outfit showed a metal plate, bowl, cup, and pails made from what metal?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)