|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For sleeping in the open during winter, it was stated there was nothing to equal what kind of a robe?
(a) Goose down.
2. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
(a) The clouds and rocks.
(b) The sun and rocks.
(c) The wind and sun.
(d) The wind and clouds.
3. How did Chief Tibeash regard Hank?
(a) He initially liked, but later disliked him.
(b) He initially disliked, but later liked him.
(c) He strongly disliked him.
(d) He strongly liked him.
4. March was the start of the transition into the spring season, one sign of which was what?
(a) First geese as they began to fly north.
(b) Stormy weather that came in like a lamb and went out as a lion.
(c) Red squirrels that chattered from the maple tops.
(d) Deciduous trees began to shed leaves to make way for new buds.
5. Great horned mother owls have nested in late February with the young beneath the mother's wings and covered in what color fuzz?
(c) Snow white.
6. The millions of birds that traveled faced a big problem in keeping fed, and accounts for why most stayed where relative to the front tide line?
7. Jim obtained the speeds for a wind gauge he built when he tested it in what manner?
(a) Against a car speedometer when held out the window.
(b) Against a wind gauge at an airport.
(c) Against a wind gauge at a forest station.
(d) Against a wind gauge at a high school science lab.
8. What type of rivets did Hank use when he made a new sheath for his hunting knife?
(a) Aircraft aluminum.
(c) Stainless steel.
9. How did Hank arrive at Cache Lake?
(a) By foot.
(b) By canoe.
(c) By a dog sled.
(d) By plane.
10. Jim, who favored what particular bird types, together with Hank made specific styles of houses to attract those they liked?
(a) Always hummingbirds and usually swallows.
(b) Always white doves and usually robins.
(c) Always house wrens and usually bluebirds.
(d) Always chickadees and usually cardinals.
11. What was related to have been some of the fun when ice fishing?
(a) Playing a harmonica while sitting and fishing.
(b) Locating a place to promptly cook the catch.
(c) Cutting an ice hole likely to yield fish.
(d) Fishing near a buddy and trading tales.
12. What was Tripper given a piece of to chew on virtually endlessly?
(a) Wood block.
(b) Deer bone.
(c) Moose bone.
(d) Deer horn.
13. Why were the wolves on the move in February?
(a) Deep snow made prey easier to get.
(b) Wet snow made prey easier to track.
(c) Deep snow made prey harder to get.
(d) Dry snow made prey harder to track.
14. Why did the cold in the north country not feel as uncomfortable as that further south if the right clothes were worn?
(a) It was damper.
(b) Below freezing the discomfort held steady if dry.
(c) Below freezing the discomfort held steady if damp.
(d) It was drier.
15. How long was it from the time Jim initially happened upon Cache Lake until he first returned?
(a) A year.
(b) A month.
(c) Several years.
(d) A week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was described as a good way to store fish in the winter?
2. Describe the appearance of Chief Tibeash?
3. For what purpose did Chief Tibeash fell dead trees when camping?
4. Why was it recommended to leave one's rifle outside the camp in freezing weather instead of bringing it in where it was warm?
5. Jim constructed new furniture during the rainy season in April and provided a diagram to show how he built what?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)