|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It took how many gallons of sap from a maple to yield a good pound of sugar?
(a) 4 to 6.
(b) 2 to 4.
(c) 3 to 5.
(d) 1 to 3.
2. Jim noted many changes in the ways the Indians lived during the 30 years he had known them, except that most still did what?
(a) Maintained respect for all things in nature.
(b) Clung to birch bark canoes.
(c) Used hand-made cutting instruments.
(d) Wore moccasins year-round.
3. Jim enjoyed a feeling of danger in which seasonal air?
(a) Cool spring.
(b) Deep winter.
(c) Hot summer.
(d) Cold autumn.
4. Jim constructed new furniture during the rainy season in April and provided a diagram to show how he built what?
(a) An oak and woven cane chair.
(b) An ash bookcase.
(c) A split-log table and bench.
(d) A birch and pine swing seat.
5. How did Chief Tibeash regard Hank?
(a) He strongly liked him.
(b) He strongly disliked him.
(c) He initially liked, but later disliked him.
(d) He initially disliked, but later liked him.
6. Spring was a good time for casting animal tracks as the wet ground made nice prints, especially when found where?
(a) In sand.
(b) In clay.
(c) In mud.
(d) In loose soil.
7. How was Chief Tibeash's hunting sled curved up in the front?
(a) It was soaked on end in about 4-6 inches of cold water.
(b) It was wedged in-between a tree fork and tied back for pressure.
(c) It was laid upside down over a log with a heavy rock on the the front..
(d) It was steamed slowly over a fire in wet cloth or moss.
8. What was Tripper given a piece of to chew on virtually endlessly?
(a) Moose bone.
(b) Deer horn.
(c) Deer bone.
(d) Wood block.
9. Great horned mother owls have nested in late February with the young beneath the mother's wings and covered in what color fuzz?
(d) Snow white.
10. The partridges were said to make a thumping sound that escalated increasingly from a slow drumming to a strange noise similar to what?
(a) An applause.
(b) A rolling beat.
(c) A crackling.
(d) A snapping.
11. What did Jim relate was the reason it had been difficult to find Chief Tibeash despite his many efforts?
(a) Chief Tibeash had moved away for a time.
(b) The north country was a sparsely populated area.
(c) Indians did not leave forwarding addresses.
(d) The north country was very rugged and heavily wooded.
12. What board that was free of knots and had a straight grain was said to have been the right stock to make a light paddle from?
13. How many different ways to construct a candle lantern from a can were diagrammed?
14. For what purpose did Chief Tibeash fell dead trees when camping?
(a) For spirits as dead trees left standing brought rain and bad luck.
(b) For camp perimeter as drier dead trees cracked louder and awakened.
(c) For fires as standing dead trees were drier than timber on the ground.
(d) For shelter as drier, standing dead trees repelled more moisture.
15. In Chapter 5, Jim knew it would not be long after the ice broke up that what would happen?
(a) Lily pads would sprout.
(b) The ducks would return.
(c) The geese would return.
(d) Beavers would begin working.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man who tamed the moose to pull him around came into town on Saturday nights and tied up, then smoked what as people stared?
2. What was described as the greatest mistake a man could make leaving camp without doing?
3. Jim related the story of a man who fed, tamed, and finally broke to harness a calf bull moose that pulled his what?
4. Jim, who favored what particular bird types, together with Hank made specific styles of houses to attract those they liked?
5. The Cache Lake country was a land of what type of terrain?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)