|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, August, Harvest of the Wilderness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was it from the time Jim initially happened upon Cache Lake until he first returned?
(a) Several years.
(b) A year.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
2. What were other terms used to refer to cedar waxwings in Cache Lake country?
(a) Redwing or redbreast birds.
(b) Redbreast or cedar birds.
(c) Cedar or cherry birds.
(d) Cherry or redwing birds.
3. Why were the wolves on the move in February?
(a) Deep snow made prey harder to get.
(b) Deep snow made prey easier to get.
(c) Wet snow made prey easier to track.
(d) Dry snow made prey harder to track.
4. What did the term "cache" mean?
(a) A semi-permanent encampment.
(b) A magnetized piece of metal serving as a compass.
(c) A canoe made from tree branches, bark, and gum.
(d) A hidden storage place for provisions.
5. What were noted as the keys to surviving in the wilderness, finding one's way about, and avoiding possible dangers?
(a) Learn from those before you and simply apply the lessons.
(b) Always bring a compass and extra food.
(c) Observing things closely and watching the sun.
(d) Common sense and observing everything closely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jim described how he made a bread knife from what type of blade?
2. After owls have gulped their food down whole and it has digested, what was the next step for bones and fur?
3. Some brilliant colors of male birds in June change to what by winter?
4. What Indian game was diagrammed and described that Chief Tibeash was a champion of as a boy, and shot stones and arrows?
5. It was noted that tree swallows ate what else beyond insects as few other swallows did?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)