|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, February, The Stars and the Silence.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were noted as the keys to surviving in the wilderness, finding one's way about, and avoiding possible dangers?
(a) Learn from those before you and simply apply the lessons.
(b) Always bring a compass and extra food.
(c) Common sense and observing everything closely.
(d) Observing things closely and watching the sun.
2. Jim recalled one Thanksgiving he shared with Chief Tibeash and Hank where what was the only thing wrong?
(a) It was a week early.
(b) It was a month late.
(c) It was two weeks early.
(d) It was two weeks late.
3. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
(a) Frequently looked behind himself upon his return.
(b) Carried a map and compass to find his way out.
(c) Located a landmark on a hill behind himself.
(d) Followed a creek downstream to a lake and found his way.
4. Jim noted many changes in the ways the Indians lived during the 30 years he had known them, except that most still did what?
(a) Clung to birch bark canoes.
(b) Maintained respect for all things in nature.
(c) Used hand-made cutting instruments.
(d) Wore moccasins year-round.
5. For what purpose did Chief Tibeash fell dead trees when camping?
(a) For shelter as drier, standing dead trees repelled more moisture.
(b) For spirits as dead trees left standing brought rain and bad luck.
(c) For camp perimeter as drier dead trees cracked louder and awakened.
(d) For fires as standing dead trees were drier than timber on the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was it from the time Jim initially happened upon Cache Lake until he first returned?
2. Along the edge of Cache Lake to the south grew alder side by side with fish-net willows and what else?
4. Why was it recommended to leave one's rifle outside the camp in freezing weather instead of bringing it in where it was warm?
5. The Indian paddle stroke Chief Tibeash used was short, began at the waist, and ended with a thrust from what point?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)