|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, January, Long Nights and Deep Snows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Indian paddle stroke Chief Tibeash used was short, began at the waist, and ended with a thrust from what point?
(a) The shoulders.
(b) The biceps.
(c) The wrists.
(d) The cross arm.
2. What was recommended as the first step in making one's initial pair of moccasins from moose hide?
(a) Put your foot on the hide and cut an outline one-half inch larger.
(b) Draw your footprint outline on a large cardboard piece.
(c) Make a test pair from old blanket or heavy cloth.
(d) Cut two tie strings approximately twelve inches long.
3. What did the term "cache" mean?
(a) A hidden storage place for provisions.
(b) A magnetized piece of metal serving as a compass.
(c) A canoe made from tree branches, bark, and gum.
(d) A semi-permanent encampment.
4. What was the term used when the early morning mist that hung over the lake was referred to?
(b) "Phantom fog."
(c) "Ghosts' breath."
(d) "Translucent silk."
5. Jim obtained the speeds for a wind gauge he built when he tested it in what manner?
(a) Against a car speedometer when held out the window.
(b) Against a wind gauge at an airport.
(c) Against a wind gauge at a forest station.
(d) Against a wind gauge at a high school science lab.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chief Tibeash regard Hank?
2. What was suggested as one way of getting ahead when one worked through new wood?
3. What did Jim relate was the reason it had been difficult to find Chief Tibeash despite his many efforts?
4. Mal de raquette was another term for what?
5. Why did the cold in the north country not feel as uncomfortable as that further south if the right clothes were worn?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)