|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, January, Long Nights and Deep Snows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
(a) Frequently looked behind himself upon his return.
(b) Located a landmark on a hill behind himself.
(c) Followed a creek downstream to a lake and found his way.
(d) Carried a map and compass to find his way out.
2. Why did the cold in the north country not feel as uncomfortable as that further south if the right clothes were worn?
(a) It was drier.
(b) It was damper.
(c) Below freezing the discomfort held steady if dry.
(d) Below freezing the discomfort held steady if damp.
3. What was served at the January picnic under the big spruce?
(a) Bear steaks, squash, sweet potatoes, and rolls.
(b) Broiled fish, green beans, dumplings, and pie.
(c) Turkey, carrots, salad, and cornbread.
(d) Venison steaks, onion rings, potatoes, and biscuits.
4. Describe the appearance of Chief Tibeash?
(a) Medium, flacid, and having infirm, aged muscles.
(b) Large, stout, and having flabby, weak muscles.
(c) Small, lean, and having tough, strong muscles.
(d) Tall, lean, and having tough, strong muscles.
5. What was described as the greatest mistake a man could make leaving camp without doing?
(a) Packing a full canteen of water.
(b) Taking matches and a knife.
(c) Taking one's compass and a knife.
(d) Telling friends the direction one was headed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were noted as the keys to surviving in the wilderness, finding one's way about, and avoiding possible dangers?
2. Jim noted many changes in the ways the Indians lived during the 30 years he had known them, except that most still did what?
3. Jim chose what site on Cache Lake for his cabin?
4. The Indian paddle stroke Chief Tibeash used was short, began at the waist, and ended with a thrust from what point?
5. How many northern lakes had author John J. "Jim" Rowlands said he had seen when he happened upon Cache Lake?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)