|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, January, Long Nights and Deep Snows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If one did not have a compass, what was suggested one could use?
(a) The wind and clouds.
(b) The wind and sun.
(c) The clouds and rocks.
(d) The sun and rocks.
2. Jim obtained the speeds for a wind gauge he built when he tested it in what manner?
(a) Against a wind gauge at an airport.
(b) Against a wind gauge at a forest station.
(c) Against a car speedometer when held out the window.
(d) Against a wind gauge at a high school science lab.
3. How did Hank arrive at Cache Lake?
(a) By a dog sled.
(b) By canoe.
(c) By plane.
(d) By foot.
4. What were noted as the keys to surviving in the wilderness, finding one's way about, and avoiding possible dangers?
(a) Common sense and observing everything closely.
(b) Always bring a compass and extra food.
(c) Learn from those before you and simply apply the lessons.
(d) Observing things closely and watching the sun.
5. What was described as the greatest mistake a man could make leaving camp without doing?
(a) Telling friends the direction one was headed.
(b) Taking one's compass and a knife.
(c) Taking matches and a knife.
(d) Packing a full canteen of water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was viewed as the biggest mistake individuals could make regarding their compasses?
2. Along the edge of Cache Lake to the south grew alder side by side with fish-net willows and what else?
3. What did the term "cache" mean?
4. Jim wrote about a young man that once blazed a trail on the side he came from, and might have been lost on his return if he had not done what?
5. How many northern lakes had author John J. "Jim" Rowlands said he had seen when he happened upon Cache Lake?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)