|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Mossad front open in Chapter 15?
2. What do the Israeli's provide Jadid with at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Who spearheads the rescue operation in Sudan?
4. Where does Mossad officially claim it does not operate?
5. What nation supports Israel in transporting Ethiopian Jews in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Tsafririm?
2. How does Orlando Letelier's death illuminate the Mossad connection to DINA?
3. How is the resort at the beginning of Chapter 15 not what it seems?
4. How does the Mossad make initial contact with Magid?
5. What actions does Mossad take in Chapter 13 to undermine Arafat?
6. How are the Camp David negotiations described in Chapter 14?
7. Why is Yassar Arafat unpopular with fundamentalists?
8. How is Moukharbel killed in Chapter 10?
9. What nefarious activity do the Mossad discover involving Magid and his brother in Chapter 12?
10. How does Arafat react to the power struggles in the Palestinian community in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the operational success the Mossad enjoys in Ostrovsky's novel is the result of finding good recruits from outside the Israeli establishment. In an essay, choose three examples from the novel of katsas recruiting individuals who provide intelligence. What motivation does each recruit have for helping Israel? Is he or she aware of the true involvement? What security achievement results from this recruits assistance?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about By Way of Deception as a chronicle of one man's journey to moral understanding. Discuss Victor's life prior to his recruitment to Mossad. Why does he decide to join the agency? How does his training begin a process of disillusionment? Explore his years in the service. Is he largely successful? Why, in the end, does Ostrovsky leave the agency? How does he feel about Mossad after the fact?
Essay Topic 3
The chapters of By Way of Deception often begin by presenting an operation from the point-of-view of an outsider. In this way, the reader is incrementally made aware of the true motivation behind seemingly innocuous actions. Write a three-part essay about this chapter structure.
Part 1) How is the reader introduced to the character of Halim in the Prologue? Discuss the process by which the Mossad makes contact with him. How does the reader become aware of which character is a katsas and what the Mossad wants with Halim? How does the reader exist in the same narrative space as Halim does?
Part 2) How is the reader introduced to the character of Magid in Chapter 12, and how are we made aware of his intelligence importance? Chart the journey this character takes during the chapter. Does he ever realize that he has been working for the Mossad? If not, how does the reader become aware?
Part 3) In Chapter 15, how does Ostrofsky initially present the resort that is used to shelter Ethiopian Jews. What is the initial picture painted of the resort? How does this understanding of it cloak its true purposes? Discuss the process by which the author reveals the true nature of the resort.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)