|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the specific role of the Mossad outpost in Chapter 15?
2. What does Mossad reveal to force Andrew Young's resignation in Chapter 14?
3. When do refugees from Ethiopia begin to stream into the Sudan?
4. Where does Mossad officially claim it does not operate?
5. What part of Libya are the the Israels most concerned about in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions does Mossad take in Chapter 13 to undermine Arafat?
2. How is the resort at the beginning of Chapter 15 not what it seems?
3. Why do Magid and his brother begin providing info to a katsas in Chapter 12?
4. How does the Mossad rescue Ethiopian Jews in Chapter 15?
5. How does Mossad kill the new head of Black September in Chapter 10?
6. How are the Camp David negotiations described in Chapter 14?
7. What operations does Carlos enact in Chapter 10?
8. What does Israeli security decide it wants to focus on in 1975?
9. What arrangement do Denmark and Israel have in the mid-1970's?
10. What is Al?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almost as vivid as Ostrovsky's portraits of Mossad agents and recruits are his portrayals of the international antagonists to Israel's safety. Write an essay about the characters of Carlos and Arafat. How does each man prove to be a treat to Israel? What is his motivation for seeking its destruction? Explore the chapters in which these characters are prominent. How does the Mossad succeed in thwarting each man in his mission against Israel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the nation of Israel as a promise. What was Israel before it was founded after the Second World War? What was the root of Zionism in the twentieth century? Discuss how a homeland remained a dream for the Jews since the Diaspora and how Israel maintains citizenship laws that maintain the promise of a Jewish homeland. How do Mossad's missions to rescue Jews outside of Israel speak to the honesty of this promise?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of By Way of Deception is deeply entrenched in the world of the 1970's and 1980's. Israel, in the wake of the 1967 War. Write an essay about the international community during the novel. How is Islamism and Palestinian nationalism on the rise? What is the role of international terrorism? Is America's role in this political climate similar or different from the way it is today? Discuss how Mossad's role is created by the era.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)