|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Israel's interest in the Saudis in Chapter 6?
2. What do Mossad officials tell Victor to do regarding Jerry in Chapter 8?
3. What is Harari's career?
4. In Chapter 4, the cadets learn how to handle what for recruits?
5. In what do must of the agents in Komemiute specialize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ostrovsky learn about foreign surveillance in Chapter 3?
2. How does Mossad eventually avert the assassination of Golda Meir in Chapter 9?
3. Describe the awkward interaction between Jerry S. and Victor in Chapter 8?
4. Describe the web of recruits related in Chapter 4.
5. Besides recruitment, what skills do cadets learn in Chapter 4?
6. What communication training do cadets undergo in Chapter 2?
7. Who is Akbar?
8. How is the Cypress mission botched in Chapter 8?
9. What are the consequences of the botched Cypress assignment in Chapter 8?
10. How is the head of Black September connected to Akbar in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about By Way of Deception as a chronicle of one man's journey to moral understanding. Discuss Victor's life prior to his recruitment to Mossad. Why does he decide to join the agency? How does his training begin a process of disillusionment? Explore his years in the service. Is he largely successful? Why, in the end, does Ostrovsky leave the agency? How does he feel about Mossad after the fact?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the first part of By Way of Deception, Victor Ostrovsky clearly is uncertain about the morality of his participation in Mossad. By the end of this part, the author has become completely disillusioned by the agency. Write an essay focusing on Ostrovsky's alienation from Mossad.
Part 1) Discuss the initial interviews, tests and lessons of Ostrovsky's time in Mossad officer training. What does he feel about the moral bending he is required to undertake? What does he feel about the conspiracy theorizing of the agency? How does this illustrate his relationship with Mossad from the beginning?
Part 2) Explore the awkward interaction in Chapter 8 between Ostrovsky and Jerry. How does this interaction illustrate the lack of honor in the agency? Why does Ostrovsky react so violently against it, and what is unnerving about the Mossad's reaction to the incident?
Part 3) Discuss the moment at which Ostrovsky is forced to leave the Mossad. What grand mistake does he make, and what different forces compel him to this failure? To what extent does Ostrovsky seem to be set up? How does this illustrate his innate separation from the agency?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of By Way of Deception is deeply entrenched in the world of the 1970's and 1980's. Israel, in the wake of the 1967 War. Write an essay about the international community during the novel. How is Islamism and Palestinian nationalism on the rise? What is the role of international terrorism? Is America's role in this political climate similar or different from the way it is today? Discuss how Mossad's role is created by the era.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)