|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pazuzu represent?
2. What does Jacob Hausner learn from the explosion of Concorde 01?
3. Why is Abdel Majid Jabari hated by many Palestinians?
4. Why does Ahmed Rish have a grudge against Jacob Hausner?
5. What does Peter Kahn see as his mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Teddy Laskov unsure of his standing with Miriam Bernstein?
2. Why does Jacob Hausner believe it important to establish the chain of command?
3. Why does Jacob Hausner get little respect from Benjamin Dobkin?
4. Why does Abdel Majid Jabari tell Ibrahim Ali Arif that he is a very self-centered man?
5. How does Nathan Brin deduce the power source for the radio-controlled bomb?
6. What is Ummah and why is it important?
7. What does the kheffiyah worn by Abdel Majid Jabari symbolize and why does it put him in danger?
8. What does Abdel Majid Jabari's position in the Knesset tell us about the Jewish leadership?
9. What old guerrilla trick have the Palestinians learned from the Viet Cong?
10. What reputation do the Jews have regarding terrorism and how is it affecting the present situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rather than telling the story from a single character's point of view, DeMille uses the style of author omniscient, in which the author knows not only what many characters do and say but what they are thinking. In your essay, analyze the advantages and drawbacks of this author style. Consider, for example, that the author knows not only what the characters think but what the characters think of one another.
Essay Topic 2
Shear-jashub's name, besides identifying him as Jewish, was originally given to the prophet Isaiah's son and has deep significance. Research the meaning of the name and in your essay discuss why you think DeMille selected it for this character.
Essay Topic 3
The kheffiyah (keffiyah) plays an important role in this story, as it both identifies and disguises characters. Write an essay explaining how an article of clothing can carry such weight of identity. Use scenes from the story in which characters either identify or disguise themselves to make your point.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)