|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Kahn see as his mission?
2. Why does Benjamin Dobkin say the time of year is against them?
3. What does Richardson recommend the group do?
4. What is David Becker's worst fear?
5. Why does Ahmed Rish have a grudge against Jacob Hausner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similarities do the defenders see between themselves and those at Masada?
2. How does Benjamin Dobkin react to Jacob Hausner's assumption of leadership within the defenders?
3. Why does Jacob Hausner get little respect from Benjamin Dobkin?
4. Why does Jacob Hausner believe it important to establish the chain of command?
5. As Benjamin Dobkin watches the attackers advance, he thinks that he would give them a low grade on tactics. What do they do wrong?
6. What is the metaphor that Ahmed Rish uses about the joker in the deck?
7. What compels Nuri Salameh to plant the bomb aboard the aircraft, although he believes it is "a great sin"?
8. What old guerrilla trick have the Palestinians learned from the Viet Cong?
9. Why is Golda Meir's quotation inspiring?
10. Why is Dr. George Habash's quotation frightening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Diaspora - the scattering of captive Jews throughout different lands as a result of captivity - has a strong effect on Jews in Israel as well as on those who are themselves scattered. In your essay, discuss the effect on this story of the Jews in the Iraqi Ummah.
Essay Topic 2
The Pazuzu is a powerful symbol in this story, representing different things to different people. In your essay, analyze its significance to the Arab attackers, to Benjamin Dobkin, and to Rabbi Levin. Whose understanding of the Pazuzu turns out to be more accurate?
Essay Topic 3
An objective story is one in which the author does not appear to favor one character over others, but presents both sides of any issue impartially. Is DeMille an objective reporter of the disputes between Israelis and Arabs? Why or why not? Tell how you arrived at your conclusion.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)