|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the attackers near the crest, why are they unable to retreat?
(a) They would fall in the darkness.
(b) They are too anxious for the fight.
(c) There will be more casualties retreating than advancing.
(d) They would lose face.
2. Why does Ahmed Rish need to keep the defenders alive?
(a) Ahmed Rish wants to torture the defenders.
(b) Without hostages, Ahmed Rish has no power to negotiate.
(c) The defenders can testify that Ahmed Rish treated them fairly.
(d) Ahmed Rish does not want to be tried for murder.
3. What offense is committed by Miriam Bernstein?
(a) Refusing to bear arms.
(b) Inciting to mutiny.
(d) Sleeping on guard duty.
4. Who does Isaac Burg say will kill the defenders if they escape the Ashbals?
(b) Marauding Arabs.
(d) Their own people.
5. Why does Teddy Laskov go into the stratosphere on the way home?
(a) To reassure himself of Israeli air power.
(b) To reassure the defenders of Israeli air power.
(c) To see the permanence of the earth and stars.
(d) To show off for Miriam Bernstein.
6. How is the second onslaught by the attackers better done than the first?
(a) They are quicker and quieter.
(b) They are more knowledgeable.
(c) They are smarter and faster.
(d) They are more prepared to fight.
7. Why is helping the rescue operation a no-lose situation for the Iraqi government?
(a) The peace mission will be salvaged either way and Iraq wants peace.
(b) Iraq will get good international publicity either way.
(c) If it fails, it's an Israeli tragedy; if it succeeds, Iraq has helped.
(d) The news will show the impregnability of Iraq to the world.
8. Why do Isaac Burg and Jacob Hausner agree that the time has come to give no orders?
(a) Individual survival instincts will take over.
(b) The leaders are not sure what's best to do.
(c) People would disobey and scatter.
(d) People no longer trust their leadership.
9. What does Ahmed Rish think is the advantage the gods have sent the attackers?
(a) The wind.
(b) The heat.
(c) The quiet.
(d) The darkness.
10. Why does Teddy Laskov forbid David Becker to move the Concorde?
(a) Teddy Laskov thinks the ship will explode.
(b) Teddy Laskov believes they will kill the attackers he wants to interrogate.
(c) Teddy Laskov believes they will all be killed.
(d) Teddy Laskov wants to be the one to rescue the defenders.
11. What does Peter Kahn finally succeed in doing?
(a) Getting ignition for the Concorde engine.
(b) Making radio contact with Jerusalem.
(c) Arming the non-combatants with homemade hand grenades.
(d) Repairing the broken wing of the aircraft.
12. Why does Jacob Hausner think he has been cursed rather than blessed when he escapes death again?
(a) He doesn't want to have to kill Ahmed Rish.
(b) He wants to die.
(c) He wants the responsibility to be someone else's.
(d) He wants the peril to end.
13. Why is the defense of the downed aircraft a battle of attrition?
(a) The attackers have to wait only until the Israelis run out of ammunition.
(b) The defenders have to wait only until help arrives.
(c) The attackers have to wait only until the Israelis run out of food.
(d) The defenders have to wait only until the attackers give up.
14. What is motivating the Ashbals for the fight?
(a) They have been promised a reality TV show.
(b) They have been promised glory and honor.
(c) They have been promised revenge and riches.
(d) They have been promised eternal rewards.
15. What information does Ahmed Rish give Jacob Hausner?
(a) Benjamin Dobkin is alive.
(b) Yosef Bernstein was shot down and killed.
(c) Tom Richardson was the spy.
(d) Deborah Gideon is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the joint chiefs in Jerusalem decide to do?
2. How many Ashbals participate in the final attack?
3. What has David Becker done throughout the standoff?
4. How does Abdel Jabari confuse the attackers?
5. What is the Hebrew word for the Hamseen?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)