|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts a supply of firewood once the hunting party sets up camp in the valley?
(a) Miller and Schneider.
(b) Andrews and Schneider.
(c) Charley and Andrews.
(d) Miller and Charley.
2. What is Miller's reply when Andrews asks him how long the hunting party will be snowed in?
(a) Until the pass thaws.
(b) At least a month.
(c) At least 2 weeks.
(d) Until February.
3. What is the canvas and wooden tent meant to protect?
(c) The sleeping men.
4. Against which natural feature does Charley build the party's fire once they have set up camp in the valley?
(a) A plateau.
(b) A boulder.
(c) A cave.
(d) A forest.
5. How many steps toward the men does the leader of the herd take before he falls to the ground?
6. About what issue does Schneider tease Andrews?
(a) Andrews's lack of hunting experience.
(b) Andrews's young age.
(c) Andrews's soft hands.
(d) Andrews's relationship with Francine.
7. What does Miller do when he approaches the dead leader of the buffalo herd?
(a) He shoots it again to make sure it is dead.
(b) He scuffs its fur with the toe of his boot.
(c) He kicks it in the ribs.
(d) He rolls it over.
8. How far away from Miller are the buffalo before he starts shooting?
(a) 20 yards.
(b) 150 yards.
(c) 300 yards.
(d) 50 yards.
9. What warning does Schneider give to Miller before the hunt begins?
(a) He warns Miller not to kill too many buffalo at once.
(b) He warns Miller not to waste the party's water on dirty hides.
(c) He warns Miller to put blindfolds on the horses before beginning to shoot.
(d) He warns Miller to make sure his bullets are sitting correctly in the chamber.
10. Miller tells Andrews that buffalo "always face" (127) in what direction?
11. Miller reports that during his ride, he had seen snow up to how many feet deep?
12. How many buffalo does Miller kill before he cleans out his rifle?
13. Who is designated as the person who will follow along behind the hunting party and collect the hides?
14. What is NOT a material used by someone in the hunting party when he turns gunpowder into bullets?
(a) A ladle.
(b) A block of wood.
(d) A spoon.
15. Who momentarily decides to try to get back to Butcher's Crossing even though the party is snowed in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What instruction does Miller give Andrews about the leader of the buffalo herd?
2. Miller tells Schneider that there is what between their current location and Denver?
3. Who is the member of the hunting party responsible for hunting food so that the party can make it through the winter?
4. Who is the only member of the party with the skills to turn gunpowder into bullets?
5. Who is the first to ask Andrews if he is alright the morning the men awake to a snow-covered world?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)