|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miller states that people with what jobs will come to collect the buffalo bones?
(a) Jewelry makers.
(b) Oil barons.
2. At the start of the novel, the as-yet-unnamed protagonist rides within a stagecoach on its way to what town to Butcher's Crossing?
3. Who calls into question Miller's recollection of the sought valley's location just before the hunting party reaches it?
4. Charley does NOT cook which food for the hunting party while they are resting near Smoky Hill?
(a) Sow belly.
(c) Soaked beans.
(d) Corn fritters.
5. When Andrews finds a hotel room, how much does the room cost per night?
(c) 50 cents.
6. How does Andrews attempt to alleviate the pain he is feeling from riding on the first day of the expedition?
(a) He tries sitting on the wagon instead.
(b) He tries putting his rucksack underneath his saddle.
(c) He tries to get Miller to slow down.
(d) He tries sitting on one of the oxen instead.
7. What color is the Smoky Hill River?
8. How does Andrews respond to the question about whether he has had a "rough day" (75) on the first day of the trip?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He shakes his head no.
(c) He blurts out that he wants to go back to Boston.
(d) He nods.
9. McDonald asks Andrews for a favor before he leaves McDonald's presence. What is it?
(a) McDonald asks Andrews to bring news of Butcher's Crossing back to Boston.
(b) McDonald asks Andrews for a small loan.
(c) McDonald asks Andrews to tell his father hello on McDonald's behalf.
(d) McDonald asks Andrews to let him know if Andrews is going to be leaving on a hunting expedition.
10. Andrews asks the hotel clerk if the clerk knows a man by what surname?
11. What does Miller do to help the man traveling from Ohio to California?
(a) He shoots the man's rabid dog.
(b) He shoots the man's horse and gives him a new one.
(c) He gives the man a canteen of water.
(d) He tells the man where to turn off the trail for help.
12. How many miles does Miller say the hunting party has traveled by noon on the first day?
13. How is the protagonist's facial complexion described?
14. What is the hotel clerk's reply when Andrews asks the clerk if he knows a man by a particular name?
(a) The clerk replies that he does know the man and so does everyone else.
(b) The clerk replies that he will need to be paid for any information he provides.
(c) The clerk replies that they do not meet many strangers in Butcher's Crossing.
(d) The clerk replies that he has never heard the name before.
15. When Miller asks why Andrews had turned down a job with McDonald, what is Andrews's reply?
(a) He does not want to be tied down.
(b) He has no experience in tanning hides.
(c) He does not think he would like McDonald's managerial style.
(d) He has no experience in blacksmith work.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does McDonald "wave angrily" at Andrews when Andrews leaves his office after their first meeting?
2. What is the name of the establishment where Andrews finds Miller for the first time?
3. On what object does Andrews have to keep his eyes fixed in order to follow the hunting party once the land becomes flat?
4. Miller states that the people who come to collect the buffalo bones will use the bones for what purpose?
5. Who funds the hunting expedition?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)