|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does Miller give the "huge saucerlike depression" (81) the party comes upon?
(a) A buffalo wallow.
(b) A buffalo bathtub.
(c) A former watering hole.
(d) A fault line.
2. What happens to cause Miller to decide to use the last of the party's water for the oxen and horses?
(a) One of the oxen stumbles and falls down.
(b) Andrews pleads with him to help the animals.
(c) He notices that the horses are no longer sweating.
(d) One of the horses stumbles and falls down.
3. How many weeks of provisions does the hunting party bring on the trip?
4. The bartender tells Andrews that when he does find Miller, Miller will likely be sitting with whom?
(a) Andrews's father.
5. How is the protagonist's facial complexion described?
6. What is NOT a quality of Andrews's character by noon on the first day of the expedition?
(a) His head is pounding.
(b) The flesh on his thighs is rubbed raw.
(c) He has vomited twice.
(d) His buttocks are numb.
7. Who rides beside Andrews throughout the hunting expedition?
8. Miller tells Schneider that his protests about finding water make Miller think that Schneider just wants what?
(a) A medal for bravery.
(b) A black eye.
(c) An extra week of pay.
(d) A nice rest.
9. What does Andrews's family member who wrote the letter to McDonald do for a living?
(a) He is a dentist.
(b) He is a blacksmith.
(c) He is a preacher.
(d) He is a trapper.
10. What sort of luggage does John Williams describe being carried by the protagonist on his trip to Butcher's Crossing?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A carpetbag.
(c) A rucksack.
(d) No luggage.
11. The hunting party leaves Butcher's Crossing on the 25th day of what month?
12. What type of animal will be hunted during the hunting expedition?
(a) Bighorn sheep.
13. Who starts the first campfire of the hunting expedition trip?
14. How had Charley lost a part of his body?
(a) In a blacksmith accident.
(b) In a blizzard.
(c) In a coach accident.
(d) In a tanning accident.
15. Andrews presents a letter to McDonald when he finds him in Butcher's Crossing. By whom is the letter signed?
(a) By Andrews's brother.
(b) By Andrews's father.
(c) By Andrews's cousin.
(d) By Andrews's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hunting party at one point comes upon the dead carcass of what animal?
2. To what state will the hunting expedition travel?
3. How many miles does Miller say the hunting party has traveled by noon on the first day?
4. What does Miller do to help the man traveling from Ohio to California?
5. How does Andrews respond to the question about whether he has had a "rough day" (75) on the first day of the trip?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)