|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Two: Chapters I-III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the hunting party do when the sun goes down on the first day of the trip?
(a) They take a short break and light torches.
(b) They bed down for the night.
(c) They keep traveling.
(d) They stop for dinner and then continue traveling.
2. For what reason does McDonald "wave angrily" at Andrews when Andrews leaves his office after their first meeting?
(a) Because McDonald had been unable to talk Andrews out of meeting the hunters.
(b) Because he knows that Andrews is about to take advantage of his kindness.
(c) Because Andrews had been unable to pay his father's debts to McDonald.
(d) Because Andrews had been unwilling to be placed in a blacksmith apprenticeship.
3. How many weeks of provisions does the hunting party bring on the trip?
4. How is the protagonist's age described?
(a) Early thirties.
(b) Early twenties.
(c) Late teens.
(d) Late twenties.
5. What had Andrews been doing back east before traveling to Butcher's Crossing?
(a) He had spent one semester at Harvard College.
(b) He had spent two years at Harvard College.
(c) He had spent one year at Harvard College.
(d) He had spent three years at Harvard College.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrews attempt to alleviate the pain he is feeling from riding on the first day of the expedition?
2. The hunting party leaves Butcher's Crossing on the 25th day of what month?
3. At the start of the novel, the as-yet-unnamed protagonist rides within a stagecoach on its way to what town to Butcher's Crossing?
4. Miller tells Schneider that his protests about finding water make Miller think that Schneider just wants what?
5. For how long had Andrews been traveling before stopping in Butcher's Crossing?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)