|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cherie tell Will she needs?
2. Which of the following characters is a waitress?
3. Where does Carl say he is going?
4. Which of the following characters is a chanteuse?
5. Which of the following characters is the owner of the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bo feel after he apologizes to Cherie and what does Virgil do to try and help?
2. What does Will tell the others as he leaves the cafe?
3. What does Cherie ask Grace and Elma as soon as she enters the cafe?
4. What happened when Cherie decided to leave town and live with a friend in Kansas?
5. What does Cherie say about how she ended up on the bus and at the cafe?
6. What happens after Cherie slaps Bo?
7. What does Dr. Lyman ask Elma and why does he ask her this?
8. What does Will come into the restaurant to tell everyone?
9. What is Dr. Lyman's history?
10. How does Bo respond to Virgil's announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the author develop the relationship between Grace and Carl? Do you believe it was clearly developed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you believe shows the most compassion in the novel? What actions does this character take to demonstrate compassion? Do you feel that this character's compassion is appreciated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which character is not what s/he appears to be they seem on the surface? Why do you think this is the case? How does this character change throughout the novel?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)