|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not one of the food items Bo ordered?
2. How many times has Dr. Lyman been married?
3. What does Dr. Lyman talk about in between his conversations?
4. Which of the following characters is the sheriff of the town?
5. How does Bo react to what Will is saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virgil ask Grace after the bus leaves?
2. What happened when Cherie decided to leave town and live with a friend in Kansas?
3. What insight into Bo and Cherie's relations does Virgil share with Bo?
4. What does Dr. Lyman think about love and people?
5. What does Dr. Lyman ask for and how does Elma respond?
6. How does Cherie feel about her current situation with Bo and what conclusion does she come to about marriage?
7. What decision does Dr. Lyman make about his date with Elma?
8. Why does Cherie's resistance astound Bo?
9. What announcement does Virgil make?
10. Describe the character of Cherie including how she presents herself and where she is from.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you believe shows the most compassion in the novel? What actions does this character take to demonstrate compassion? Do you feel that this character's compassion is appreciated? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which character is not what s/he appears to be they seem on the surface? Why do you think this is the case? How does this character change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Elma was excited to learn Dr. Lyman's real purpose in wanting to date her? Do you believe she indeed has sexual powers? How would you react if you were Elma? Do you feel her feelings are justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)