|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grace live?
2. What does Dr. Lyman confess he has a hard time doing?
3. Why does Elma say that Will is good at taking care of people?
4. Which of the following descriptors best could be used to describe the relationship between Bo and Cherie in the restaurant?
5. Who leaves the cafe to go across the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carl tell Grace that he has learned about Dr. Lyman?
2. What does Dr. Lyman ask for and how does Elma respond?
3. What happened when Cherie decided to leave town and live with a friend in Kansas?
4. What does Dr. Lyman think about love and people?
5. What happens after Cherie slaps Bo?
6. What has happened to Dr. Lyman while the singing was occurring?
7. How does Cherie feel about her current situation with Bo and what conclusion does she come to about marriage?
8. How does Elma react to Dr. Lyman's suggestion and what does Dr. Lyman then tell her?
9. What announcement does Virgil make?
10. How do Elma and Dr. Lyman decide to get into the spirit of the night and what happens?
Essay Topic 1
What does the phrase "left out in the cold" mean to you? Do you think it is appropriately used in this play? What characters do you feel were left out in the cold? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Which relationships end with new possibilities? Which relationships seem to be tied up tightly? Why do you think the author allows for some relationships to be tied and some to have new possibilities?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Elma was excited to learn Dr. Lyman's real purpose in wanting to date her? Do you believe she indeed has sexual powers? How would you react if you were Elma? Do you feel her feelings are justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)