|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cherie ask Grace and Elma?
2. What does Dr. Lyman learn that causes him to be upset?
3. What does Elma get him instead of alcohol?
4. What was Cherie planning on doing when the cowboy took her?
5. How does Bo react to what Will is saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Dr. Lyman while the singing was occurring?
2. What does Will tell the others as he leaves the cafe?
3. What are Grace and Elma predicting will happen to the cafe and why do they think that way?
4. What are the characters left in the restaurant doing as Act II opens?
5. How does Grace respond to Virgil's request?
6. Describe the character of Bo.
7. Why does Will tell Bo that Cherie doesn't love him?
8. What advice does Grace give to Elma when she confides about her plans with Dr. Lyman?
9. How does Elma feel about about what she learns about Dr. Lyman's past?
10. Where does Bo talk to Virgil about taking Cherie and how does Virgil respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is it obvious to the reader that the author was born in Kansas? Do you feel that he was better able to make this play seem realistic since he was born in Kansas? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What judgments do you make about the character Dr. Lyman? On what do you base these judgments? Do you believe he would have been a good teacher? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which character is not what s/he appears to be they seem on the surface? Why do you think this is the case? How does this character change throughout the novel?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)