|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Dr. Lyman carry off his plans with Elma?
(a) He is distracted by the other events around him.
(b) He cannot remember his part.
(c) He is too drunk.
(d) He is interrupted by others.
2. Who does Cherie talk to about Bo?
(b) Dr. Lyman.
3. What do Elma and Dr. Lyman do to keep in the spirit of the night?
(a) To go off somewhere and be alone.
(b) To take a seat and be a good audience.
(c) To prepare their own song.
(d) Act out the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet.
4. Why does Virgil say he doesn't ever want to marry?
(a) He doesn't have time to worry about a woman.
(b) He likes to explore many women.
(c) He doesn't want to give up his independence.
(d) He does not like women.
5. Which of the following results in Bo's aggressiveness?
(a) His need for approval.
(b) His lack of intelligence.
(c) His innocent nature.
(d) His possessiveness of Cherie.
6. Which character can be considered naive at the end of this act?
(b) Dr. Lyman.
7. Which character returns in this act at the end?
8. What does Dr. Lyman tell Elma that people have unrealistic expectations of?
9. What is Virgil doing as Act II opens?
(b) Reading a magazine.
(c) Playing his guitar.
(d) Chatting with Dr. Lyman.
10. What does Dr. Lyman think it is no longer possible for people to give enough for?
(a) To find inner peace.
(b) To make a relationship work.
(c) To find happiness.
(d) To experience true love.
11. What is Elma's reaction to Dr. Lyman's thoughts about love?
(a) She doesn't understand him.
(b) She finds his thoughts irrational.
(c) She thinks he is crazy.
(d) She thinks he is right.
12. Why does Dr. Lyman get progressively drunker?
(a) He has nothing else to do.
(b) He feels guilty longing for Elma.
(c) He wants to leave the state.
(d) He hates to watch people fight.
13. What advice does Grace give Elma?
(a) To go and use her apartment.
(b) To take Dr. Lyman out to the bus.
(c) Do not meet Dr. Lyman in Topeka.
(d) To try and sober Dr. Lyman up.
14. Which of the following is not true about Dr. Lyman?
(a) Ph. D.
(b) Harvard graduate.
(c) Summa Cum Laude.
(d) Rhodes Scholar.
15. What does Will do to Bo at the end of the fight?
(a) Will drags Bo off to the jail.
(b) Will slams Bo into a table.
(c) Will puts handcuffs on Bo.
(d) Will punches Bo and knocks him out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dr. Lyman heading?
2. Where did Bo tell Cherie he was taking her away to?
3. Where does Dr. Lyman want Elma to take him in Topeka?
4. What does Virgil beg Cherie about?
5. Which character appears to be lonely looking for sexual and emotional comfort?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)