• The play opens inside a restaurant near a bus stop in a small Kansas town.
• It is about 1 am in the 1950s during the month of March.
• Cafe workers Grace and Elma are discussing whether or not the restaurant will stay open later than normal because there is a bus expected to arrive soon.
• Sheriff Will comes in and tells Grace and Elma that the roads are closed all the way to Topeka and telephone lines are done because of the blizzard.
• Grace is married to a man who wanders away from home and stays away for days at a time. They do not get along well.
• Elma is a good high school student.
• Cherie was a passenger on the bus and walks into the restaurant carrying a suitcase. She looks unkempt, but is wearing a sequin dress and gilded sandals and has a Southern accent.
This section contains 1,865 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)