|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlie's father?
2. Willing to abandon all thoughts of Mexico, for what does Burr ask Jefferson?
3. What is the Spanish Conspiracy?
4. After telling Jefferson what is going on in the West, for what does Burr ask Jefferson's permission?
5. According to Sam Swartwout, what did Hamilton say that caused Burr to challenge him to a duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson do that guarantees him reelection and where does Burr fit into the reelection bid?
2. Who is George Fuller, and why does Helen scream during his visit?
3. Describe Burr's initial conversation with Anthony Merry.
4. Why does Burr gather Jamie Wilkinson, John Smith, Jonathan Dayton, and future president General Andrew Jackson together?
5. What does Burr refer to as "the great American tragedy"?
6. What role does Jefferson play in Burr's treason trial after he is captured on February 19, 1807? What is his purpose?
7. What factors upset Charlie most when he finds out that his consulship is coming to an end?
8. What similarities does Charlie notice between Van Buren and Burr when he visits Van Buren at the White House?
9. On what counts is Charlie arrested and what events surround his arrest?
10. In June of 1808, what disguise does Burr adopt, where does he go, and how long does he stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay looking at how time is used as a theme and plot device in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the role of deception in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explore the writing techniques used by Gore Vidal. How does he communicate history? What effect does this have on the reader?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)