|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the house in which he is boarding is torn down, where does Burr move?
2. Who is plotting to liberate Texas from Mexico, according to Sam Swartwout?
3. In whose murder is Charlie arrested?
4. When talking to Merry, what does Burr refrain from doing?
5. What does Burr title his 17th memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the duel between Burr and Hamilton according to Burr's re-enactment.
2. When and why does Burr surrender to the governor of the Mississippi Territory?
3. Describe the comparison that Charlie makes between Burr and Leggett soon after the great fire which burned 700 buildings.
4. Why is a letter Wilkinson wrote Burr used in his trial and what does Wilkinson attempt to do to the letter?
5. What does Van Buren tell Charlie about Burr when Charlie visits the White House?
6. What does Burr find out about Wilkinson's true occupation and what does this discovery mean?
7. Describe James Wilkinson's involvement in the Spanish Conspiracy.
8. How does Charlie respond when Mr. Bryant tells him not to publish the pamphlet, and what effect does this response have on Byrant?
9. Where is Charlie on a consulship and how did he obtain the position?
10. What does Leggett say about publishing the pamphlet as he lays sick in bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the novel's position on marriage, concentrating on the role of specific marriages in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the role of secrecy in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay evaluating the role of memory as a theme in the novel. How does memory affect plot development?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)